Dominicans are machos? Really?

Person1997

Jan 3, 2016
I read that the Dominican Republic is reportedly extremely high levels of violence against women. Dominican men beat their wives, betrayed and badly treated.
Somehow I find that hard to believe. Regularly I visit the Dominican Republic and they all are so friendly, charming and nice. Is it true what people say or is it just stereotypes?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I read that the Dominican Republic is reportedly extremely high levels of violence against women. Dominican men beat their wives, betrayed and badly treated.
Somehow I find that hard to believe. Regularly I visit the Dominican Republic and they all are so friendly, charming and nice. Is it true what people say or is it just stereotypes?

if you merely VISIT the DR, i hardly think you would be privy to the social occasions which you would allow you to witness these dysfunctions. i fail to see how you can determine that such disorders are hard to believe, when your understanding of the people and their culture is superficial at best.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Gorgon, I've never been to Jamaica. Jamaican men have a reputation for having children with multiple women and not taking responsibility either emotionally or financially for them. I find that hard to believe. Could that be true?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
We like to think of ourselves as Macho. The truth is that most of us are insecure, and lack the maturity needed to care for kids and have meaningful relationships. Most of us (except for the devoutly religious) cheat and violently treat those close to us. Cocaine and alcohol use are also prevalent.

I have much more respect for Anglo Americans who are generally loyal to their mates and view domestic violence as taboo. They also love their families and as a result limit substance abuse

Person1997

Jan 3, 2016
I don't know about Jamaica. I've never been in Jamaica. I'm not sure, but I've heard that Jamaica is pretty dangerous country.
However I think that Dominican Republic and Jamaica are very different countries. Jamaica was British colony, DR was Spanish
colony. Always, when I go to DR, I feel very good in this country, people treat me very well. However I don't know very much
about private life in their house. Dominican Republic was Spanish colony. Spanish culture was traditionally very conservative and catholic. In general catholic church don't condemn machismo and supports "traditional gender roles". I'm just a little shocked,
because Dominicans seem to be very friendly, machos doubt seem to be friendly for me, but people are very different.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon, I've never been to Jamaica. Jamaican men have a reputation for having children with multiple women and not taking responsibility either emotionally or financially for them. I find that hard to believe. Could that be true?

since you have never been to Jamaica, you have to tell me why you think it is hard to believe.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
because Dominicans seem to be very friendly, machos doubt seem to be friendly for me, but people are very different.

Yes they seem friendly, that is why you have to be on guard at all times. Beneath the smiling faces lies envy, hatred, disenfranchisement and fetid moral compasses.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We like to think of ourselves as Macho. The truth is that most of us are insecure, and lack the maturity needed to care for kids and have meaningful relationships. Most of us (except for the devoutly religious) cheat and violently treat those close to us. Cocaine and alcohol use are also prevalent.

I have much more respect for Anglo Americans who are generally loyal to their mates and view domestic violence as taboo. They also love their families and as a result limit substance abuse

you really need to do some information gathering in the new year

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/07/study-whites-more-likely-to-abuse-drugs-than-blacks/

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When you get a study of mid to upper income Dominicans and compare it to similarly placed Americans then you will have something of value. I know what I saw and lived !!

i guess you are saying that upper class Dominicans are heavy into drug abuse. dont believe that they are any worse than their American counterparts.

Apr 7, 2014

I dont think they get to mature because of lack of cues to track progression in society except quantity of children. It is my theory of arrested development that says that there is nothing Dominican men can use to measure the "manliness" to other men like in other functional societies. Almost everyone has a menial job and even in the technological age no one knows anything and is quite contented. But if I impregnant 15 women then I am a real bull. A man's man. Much more tangible than the man in the office with financial means. There are NO rights of passage for boys here except getting girls pregnant.

The violence is because he cant deal with the added responsibility of raising a child. His glory was in parading the pregnant woman around and getting accolades from his peers for his successes. He beats the woman because he cant live up to her expectations(that she is now his common law wife) and he must provide for them even though he is incapable of doing that or not interested in doing that. But he can beat her into acquiescence.

Another situation he would beat her is if she, as a player in a crude game, had outplayed him. If she was cheating on him with another. He is el Macho so he supposed to win at all times and at all costs. Why, if she out-Macho'ed him he would be seen as effeminate, a girly-man. So he would beat her to retain his order.

Apr 7, 2014
Yes they seem friendly, that is why you have to be on guard at all times. Beneath the smiling faces lies envy, hatred, disenfranchisement and fetid moral compasses.
There is alot of delusion in their thinking. All of those emotions are belied by a notion that they work absurdly harder than everyone else and are exploited. And that everyone doesnt deserve what they have and dont work hard at all. The reality is exactly opposite. Some of them may work hard, most of them dont, and none of them make any serious effort to be efficient or practical.

You cannot help but be envious of foreigner successes, but the root of Dominican failures are both ridiculously poor planning and horrendous effort. There is always the concept that they know better than everyone else but seldom have positive gains to show for it.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I must say I was completely agenst violence but having spent a lot of time over there I have had to re think a little. To this day I have not rased a
hand but some of the women are way out of line. My ex wife has told me a few times if my current girlfriend treated a RD man the way she treated me she would be in the hospital.

Apr 7, 2014
I must say I was completely agenst violence but having spent a lot of time over there I have had to re think a little. To this day I have not rased a
hand but some of the women are way out of line. My ex wife has told me a few times if my current girlfriend treated a RD man the way she treated me she would be in the hospital.
This is true...thats why I refuse to give these women "damsel in distress" passes.

They participate in the dysfunction on some level all the time.

Person1997

Jan 3, 2016
I got one more question. Is out true, that woman are treated as less important. Example - when woman with man go to
restaurant man waiter will ask man as first and woman will ask later or won't ask? I've read in one website. I've never seen
situation like this.

Apr 7, 2014
I got one more question. Is out true, that woman are treated as less important. Example - when woman with man go to
restaurant man waiter will ask man as first and woman will ask later or won't ask? I've read in one website. I've never seen
situation like this.

John Leguizamo had a comedy bit about never putting a Latina woman on a pedestal because she will get a big head.

Alot of new guys to the country use US dating rules and fail miserably. Not because they are inconsiderate but too considerate and
a. Some women think you are a soft, a sucker and a pushover and
b. Some women cant deal with you asking her input and will either become indecisive, maldecisive, egotistical, or just foolish.

So you as a dude pursuing them are in a better position telling her what she wants. You re paying for all of it anyway. What can she do? It is a take it or leave it situation. Now you will meet those who will leave it but that is an epiphany before you get too deep with her that she is a fool. Who would rather stay in the house and stare at the wall than do something fun? Because most women dont EVER go out with a man because these men here are selfish and arent spending any money on a woman. And if they did we are talking a fried empanada from the Cuchifrito cart. And even then, they have to share it.