Dominican ministry freezes fuel prices for New Year

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Dominican-ministry-freezes-fuel-prices-for-New-Year.jpeg

Santo Domingo.? The Ministry of Industry and Commerce has frozen all fuel prices for New Year, so from January 2 to 8 premium gasoline will still cost RD$180.40 and regular gasoline will sell for RD$162.90 per gallon.

Optimum diesel will cost RD$134.40; regular diesel remains at RD$123.50; avtur will cost RD$84.60; kerosene will cost RD$107.20, and fuel oil will cost RD$61.84 per gallon.

Propane gas will still cost RD$78.80 per gallon, while natural gas remains unchanged at RD$24.22 per cubic meter.

The Dominican Republic Central Bank?s average posted exchange rate of RD$45.61 per dollar was used to calculate all fuel prices.

Source: DT

Jan 2, 2016

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

Santo Domingo.? The Ministry of Industry and Commerce has frozen all fuel prices for New Year, so from January 2 to 8 premium gasoline will still cost RD$180.40 and regular gasoline will sell for RD$162.90 per gallon.

Optimum diesel will cost RD$134.40; regular diesel remains at RD$123.50; avtur will cost RD$84.60; kerosene will cost RD$107.20, and fuel oil will cost RD$61.84 per gallon.

Propane gas will still cost RD$78.80 per gallon, while natural gas remains unchanged at RD$24.22 per cubic meter.

The Dominican Republic Central Bank?s average posted exchange rate of RD$45.61 per dollar was used to calculate all fuel prices.

Jan 2, 2016

So in other words, the crashing price of Crude & Brent Oil is digging into their tax revenues. This is like the opposite problem of the 1970's.

Wonder if they will have a permanent freeze on the price, when Oil crashes even more down to $10-$20 per barrel.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
IMO,
they are FREEZING Fuel Prices ( esp Diesel) becaue PRICES ARE DROPPING LIKE CRAZY.

So they are not doing anyone any favors..

This is like when my heating oil Co calls me to LOCK IN the price.. as prices are DROPPING..
yeagh ok..

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
IMO,
they are FREEZING Fuel Prices ( esp Diesel) becaue PRICES ARE DROPPING LIKE CRAZY.

So they are not doing anyone any favors..

This is like when my heating oil Co calls me to LOCK IN the price.. as prices are DROPPING..
yeagh ok..

What happens with price controls on a commodity that is collapsing in price-When the controls are lifted, the price will collapse even faster. Look at the Shanghai Composite in China to confirm what happens with price controls.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
The Government is still making a whopping profit at those prices, due to the extremely LOW price of oil on the international market.

We are paying about $3.58 at $RD162.90. Average price in the U.S. is around $2 right now. I am guessing that there could be about as much as $2 in taxes out of that $3.58 per gallon. This is enormous.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Normally , purchasers of oil buy forward so we do not know at what stage the DR government will be making a whopping profit . To my way of thinking I really hope they are already making a good profit so they can keep their finances in good shape and the tax on fuel is one tax which the poor do not have to bear unfairly

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Normally , purchasers of oil buy forward so we do not know at what stage the DR government will be making a whopping profit . To my way of thinking I really hope they are already making a good profit so they can keep their finances in good shape and the tax on fuel is one tax which the poor do not have to bear unfairly

Gvt's have a problem with deflation-they fail to control their spending-Deflation is the natural order of economics trying to correct the wrong.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Greek Jimmy said

We are paying about $3.58 at $RD162.90. Average price in the U.S. is around $2 right now. I am guessing that there could be about as much as $2 in taxes out of that $3.58 per gallon. This is enormous.

Many countries carry huge taxes on gas.

The US Nat'l average just fell to $1.99 recently.

Can somebody tell us what the Cdn price is these days.?

Like RD, Canada has high gas taxes.

What does RD charge per Gallon vs Canada?

Can we have a Canad/RD price&tax comparison.??

I travel between these countries often and never feel a big price spread in gasoline prices.

In the USA, I feel a spread - from both RD & Canada...... way cheaper in the US....
difference is all in the taxes

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have found this..........
average gas tax in Canada (varies by province) is 31%
Average gas tax in the USA is 11%

Prices ??
Seems the avergae liter price is about $1...
4L per gallon..........

$4 CAD.... at 76 cents US.........

about $3/Gallon .....in US dollars
about $1 of that is tax

so,

RD $3.58/gal
USA $1.99
Canada $3/gal

all US dollars

Now--- RD tax per gallon , anybody ???

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004

Jan 2, 2016

This is so much ado about nothing.

The government sets the price of a gallon on Friday's (to begin Saturday's) based on market prices and their own combination of voodoo economics.

Each week they announce prices are rising, falling, or remain unchanged/the same.......except for this week.

This week after announcing tax increases on certain household food items, they decided they also better put out something to kind of soften the blow.....or at least make people think so.....so instead of announcing that fuel prices for the next week will remain unchanged from last week, as they normally do.......they make a big splash by saying they have "frozen" prices for the new week....in the hope this somehow buys them some good PR.

"Frozen" sounds so much better than "unchanged"........but there is no difference here.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Jan 2, 2016

BIG DEAL!!!!! Gasoline prices are continuing to fall.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
BIG DEAL!!!!! Gasoline prices are continuing to fall.

Gvt.'s became dependent on tax revenue from inflated energy prices to support their out-of-control spending-servicing of ever increasing debt.

Now that energy prices are collapsing and the debt bubble in and of itself will soon collapse as well, they have to return to fundamentals.

This is real market economics taking the situation into its own hands and processing this debt bubble to zero-where it belongs.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Gvt.'s became dependent on tax revenue from inflated energy prices to support their out-of-control spending-servicing of ever increasing debt.

Now that energy prices are collapsing and the debt bubble in and of itself will soon collapse as well, they have to return to fundamentals.

This is real market economics taking the situation into its own hands and processing this debt bubble to zero-where it belongs.

Wow Crude Oil -5.5% today, Down to $34 a barrel.

By the time they get around re-pricing after the 8th, the price per gallon could be well into the $RD150's.

LONER

Dec 16, 2015
Regular gas is 78.4 cents a litre here in Edmonton. At 4.55 litres to a real gallon, that's $3.56 a gallon.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
This is so much ado about nothing.

The government sets the price of a gallon on Friday's (to begin Saturday's) based on market prices and their own combination of voodoo economics.

Each week they announce prices are rising, falling, or remain unchanged/the same.......except for this week.

This week after announcing tax increases on certain household food items, they decided they also better put out something to kind of soften the blow.....or at least make people think so.....so instead of announcing that fuel prices for the next week will remain unchanged from last week, as they normally do.......they make a big splash by saying they have "frozen" prices for the new week....in the hope this somehow buys them some good PR.

"Frozen" sounds so much better than "unchanged"........but there is no difference here.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I'm afraid it's going to be a lot to do about everything. Tomorrow the price will have to be adjusted downward-way downward-and so will tax revenues.

Jan 9, 2004

I'm afraid it's going to be a lot to do about everything. Tomorrow the price will have to be adjusted downward-way downward-and so will tax revenues.

Prices are "frozen" for a second straight week.

No price reductions for this week.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Oh how convenient-Maybe they should permanently freeze the price, while Crude Oil sinks into the $20's or worse.

Crude Oil down another 5% today to nearly $31 per barrel.

Price per gallon frozen at RD$162.90-The real price is probably RD$150 or even into the $140's per gallon-

Real price is a relative term as the price per gallon includes a massive tax in there to service all the IMF debt.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Crude Oil down another 5% today to nearly $31 per barrel.

Price per gallon frozen at RD$162.90-The real price is probably RD$150 or even into the $140's per gallon-

Real price is a relative term as the price per gallon includes a massive tax in there to service all the IMF debt.

Crude Oil about to break below $30 per barrel and yet the price per gallon in DR is under a price control regime at $RD162.90. The price reflecting the further collapse in Oil would probably be $RD150 or lower.