HWY 201 Status?? Piedra Blanca/San Jose de Ocoa

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Does anyone know if the "new" highway (201) between Piedra Blanca and San Jose de Ocoa has been completed? I noticed that the new overpass on Autopista 1 in Piedra Blanca is finished?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I tried it a couple of months ago and I'm afraid it's far from finished. You have to run the gauntlet of hundreds of construction vehicles and suffer long delays while you wait for vehicles to pass where there is only room for one way at a time. San Jose south is excellent though.

You could do better to go via Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa. I don't think that road is properly surfaced either, but there isn't the construction work and I understand it is very beautiful.

Aug 6, 2006
I tried it a couple of months ago and I'm afraid it's far from finished. You have to run the gauntlet of hundreds of construction vehicles and suffer long delays while you wait for vehicles to pass where there is only room for one way at a time. San Jose south is excellent though.

You could do better to go via Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa. I don't think that road is properly surfaced either, but there isn't the construction work and I understand it is very beautiful.

Frank 12 has a video on this route on his motorcycle. Much of the road is unpaved.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah, it's been a year and a half since i have been on it. Ironically, however, i am now planning another motorcycle trip that will take me down the Haitian border, and then back around and up 201 from Bani to San Jose de Ocoa, then Piedre Blanca, and then back to Cabarete. I should know in a couple of weeks exactly what it looks like, and i plan on recording it as well, so i'll let you know.

Frank

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks everyone for the info...I think I will stick to the long route via SD bypass through Bani and onward to the Southwest.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
so its almost the same like it was 3 years ago.....