Dish network

affald

May 17, 2004
Coming to spend my 1st winter as a snowbird. Is it possible to bring a dish network receiver from an active usa account to the DR and use it? Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, but be careful.....

if caught you get cancelled.........permanently

You should be able to do it... activate as an adjunct to your current account

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It has happened....

many have done it , connected.............
some have been nailed.

How ??
It's what they do for living.... monitor their accounts.

How do they build a ship in a bottle ?

How does the caramel get into a CARAMILK bar?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
How would they catch you?

Plug into the network and get an IP address, or dial in from a Dominican phone line. Easy-peasy. Keep the receiver disconnected from everything except power and dish, and it'll be fine. Just make you the receiver has downloaded as many recent updates as possible; if it goes too long without connecting, Dish will turn the receiver off at their end. If they do that, they will insist on sending a truck out to the service address before reconnecting.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
affald
where are you... we have technicians on the north coast who can do this.

sometimes they all the units/receivers together to to the 'meld'
sometimes not

affald

May 17, 2004
Santiago suburbs, just south

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Talk to 'way to go'.....

I am too far away...Cabrera

You'll have plenty of help.
Getting it right from the start is important

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Have DISH for over 10 years in POP.
Two satellites give me HD and SD channels.
I do NOT turn the receiver off when I leave.

affald

May 17, 2004
I am getting a brand new dish installation in the USA next week, I am planning on getting four receivers and bringing two of them to the DR. The account will remain live year round. Are there any other suggestions you guys can recommend before this installation. I.e. type of receiver etc.?

I will also pm wind guy or any other member that might want to give private advice. I also have several older receivers from disastrous previous attempts to install "bootleg" dish in the DR at a different location, I wonder if these receivers have and resale or trade value in the DR. I have to dig into the closet and will post the model numbers. Thank you!

affald

May 17, 2004
Have DISH for over 10 years in POP.
Two satellites give me HD and SD channels.
I do NOT turn the receiver off when I leave.
Do you mean that you don't turn off the service in the USA or you leave the USA receiver powered up and on in the USA 24/7? Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Make sure you're aiming at the same satellites.....
they may be different at this latitude............ just a thought.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Coming to spend my 1st winter as a snowbird. Is it possible to bring a dish network receiver from an active usa account to the DR and use it? Thank you.

Explain to me how you can use the receiver without running a cable to a dish? I'm serious? I would like to learn how? Is your condo pre wired for cable?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am getting a brand new dish installation in the USA next week, I am planning on getting four receivers and bringing two of them to the DR. The account will remain live year round. Are there any other suggestions you guys can recommend before this installation. I.e. type of receiver etc.?

I will also pm wind guy or any other member that might want to give private advice. I also have several older receivers from disastrous previous attempts to install "bootleg" dish in the DR at a different location, I wonder if these receivers have and resale or trade value in the DR. I have to dig into the closet and will post the model numbers. Thank you!

The boot leg receivers are being phased out and probably have little resale value. They have been warning that DISH will have a type of encryption that nobody will be able to break for a year now (much like DirecTV). DISH is just slow in upgrading their receivers or it would already have happened and all FTA receivers would be down for good regarding DISH Network channels. Going the way of the dodo bird eventually, the are.

With a real DISH receiver, I think you can only get satellites 110 and 119 from the DR. Not sure how many HD channels will be available since satellite 129 is normally used for HD and that is new visible from the DR.

The new bootleg approach is to get more than 500 channels, and one demand movies, using IPTV from the same group that supports those receivers. Those channels are from all over the world in addition to large number of US channels.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Explain to me how you can use the receiver without running a cable to a dish? I'm serious? I would like to learn how? Is your condo pre wired for cable?

Where did Affald claim there would be no cable run from the dish to the receiver? No more coffee for you today.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Best route to go at this point in time is to use IPTV.

No satellite dishes required, just an Internet connection.
From what I have heard, there are currently 800-900 channels from around the World.

Of course with a "real" Dish Network system, you don't need an Internet connection.

You will need 4 to 6 foot satellite dishes that take up a lot of space and need to be aligned.
Plus running coaxial cable from the dishes to your TV, and also need LNB's for the dishes.
I have also heard that the dishes are VERY hard to find now a day.

Not a very good scenario for a part time resident/visitor.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

With this approach you should be fine. As long as your service address remains intact, you've got a way to swap a defective receiver if needed.

Just remember, don't plug the receiver into the phone or internet while in DR. The caller ID will show your 8x9 area code, letting them know you're out of the USA. Same for internet; IP addresses that directly touch the internet are issued in country-specific ranges. This means no pay-per-view using your remote. You'll need to either call and order, or go online from your computer and order.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014

From what I have heard, there are currently 800-900 channels from around the World.

Of course with a "real" Dish Network system, you don't need an Internet connection.

You will need 4 to 6 foot satellite dishes that take up a lot of space and need to be aligned.
Plus running coaxial cable from the dishes to your TV, and also need LNB's for the dishes.

This is the first I've heard of IPTV. Not to hijack the thread, but could you tell me more? How are the 800-900 channels accessed? Happy New Year!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Agree 100% with this assessment. The large dishes are hard to find because nobody is going that way any more.

Gringonazo check your private messages.