italian man killed in POP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Indeed. Another sad story of paradise lost.
Its a shame when these kinds of incidents happen to gringo(a)s down here. Not jumping to conclusions but they were
probably targeted by someone they knew.

I?ll take my chances with petty street crime in the barrio any day of the week before trying to establish myself in one
of these safe secure apartment/ condos/ compounds because every single time I read about this type of crime, the
outcome and motive is usually the same.

Another one.....Italian in PoP murdered.....

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/01/09/matan-italiano-cuchilladas-puerto-plata

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
What is going between POP and the Samana Peninsula.. problems in POP ,Sosua, Cabrera, Cabarete and in Las Terrenas ..and this is just in a few days .It seems this ares dominates the list of tragedies concerning non Dominicans . Why is this so ??

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What is going between POP and the Samana Peninsula.. problems in POP ,Sosua, Cabrera, Cabarete and in Las Terrenas ..and this is just in a few days .It seems this ares dominates the list of tragedies concerning non Dominicans . Why is this so ??

demographics, Kipling. firstly, the concentration of foreigners in that area is greater than in any other area. most of the foreigners living in places like the capital and Santiago are younger, working people with a different lifestyle. most of the north coast foreigners are retirees living in rather more luxurious styles than the people around them, and it attracts the types which would seek to find opportunities to rob them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
good reporting. no other area of DR has so many websites dedicated to news coverage.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
exactly... you bet there are more murders in SD than the north coast.....
but less people care in SD

IMO

and , it's high season

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is perhaps a good thing that CristoRey did not pick Villa Montellano, which is a barrio in the Province of Puerto Plata, in which to live. :dead:

Villa Montellano used to just be called Montellano and is between Sosua and Puerto Plata.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and the other murderer has issues with the italian guy as the gringo reported him to medio ambiente for making carbon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
and the other murderer has issues with the italian guy as the gringo reported him to medio ambiente for making carbon.

well, if you come to my country, and you try to get me in trouble with the authorities, you might have a problem.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
well, if you come to my country, and you try to get me in trouble with the authorities, you might have a problem.
Which country are you talking about?
The DR is NOT the perpetrator's country.
They are Haitians, likely living illegally in the DR. The perpetrators are expats, just like the victim.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Which country are you talking about?
The DR is NOT the perpetrator's country.
They are Haitians, likely living illegally in the DR. The perpetrators are expats, just like the victim.

i understand that issue, but these guys might very well be long time residents of the DR, and consider themselves to be more Dominican than a guy from Europe.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

As pointed out elsewhere crime needs to be analyzed in statistical terms, over a reasonably long period, as opposed to on emotional grounds based on emotional shock resulting from reports over a short time. You have to look at the number of people (or expats in this case) vs the number of victims in the area in question (North Coast or whatever). Considering this, you can reasonably determine whether expats are at a lesser or greater risk in the area in question vs other areas, in the DR or elsewhere. For all we know, some spats are "safer" in the specific area of the DR they live than they were in the specific place they lived in their home country. It will depend on the specific city and even district within a city.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you Senor Gorgon and dv8 ..they seem to be good explanations. I look at the local news from TV la Romana and there are regular articles about problems in two barrios, Villa Hermosa and El Mulo but seldom anywhere else .The two main Santo Domingo papers seldom cover local crime. So I guess it is as you have both stated .
Virgo , my question related to recent crime and not over a long period .

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
i understand that issue, but these guys might very well be long time residents of the DR, and consider themselves to be more Dominican than a guy from Europe.
We have no idea how long they have been living in the DR. They may be transients who spend time on both sides depending on the circumstances.

Regardless, the DR is NOT their country. They are foreigners. Considering historical and recent factors, Haitians are as foreign as they come in the DR, and the feeling is mutual.

The "my country" reference was totally out of place, in this particular case.
It was two expats from one country victimizing another expat from a different country. No Dominican was involved.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Virgo , my question related to recent crime and not over a long period .
Right. And that is why I answered the way I did.

It may be a spike caused by randomness. Just like when you keep tossing an unbiased coin you may get a run of heads, or of tails, but on average you should get 50/50 of each. There may be a run of months without a single report of crime against expats, followed by a "hot period"...we tend to notice/remember the hot periods much more intensely than the "peaceful" runs. If we focus on a longer period, and look at the stats as I suggested in a previous post, we'd get a decent sense of the overall crime situation in the area of interest.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We have no idea how long they have been living in the DR. They may be transients who spend time on both sides depending on the circumstances.

Regardless, the DR is NOT their country. They are foreigners. Considering historical and recent factors, Haitians are as foreign as they come in the DR, and the feeling is mutual.

The "my country" reference was totally out of place, in this particular case.
It was two expats from one country victimizing another expat from a different country. No Dominican was involved.

another cookie is on the way to you, Virgo. soon i will have to buy another box.