NO more ATM's on the Conde

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
The colonial zone is more and more liveable but with each step forward they take four back. Now, in the center of the tourist zone there are no more ATM's on the Conde. The last one, Banco Popular branch inside Sederias California has closed and moved to La Sirena on Ave. Mella.
Only ATM"S now available in Zona Colonial are those located on Calle Isabella Catolica. There used to be four on the Conde itself, no more.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Only ATM"S now available in Zona Colonial are those located on Calle Isabella Catolica. There used to be four on the Conde itself, no more.
There is a BHD branch and ATM directly in front of the Independencia Park, near the start of the El Conde street. It is on Arzobispo Nouel, between Estrelleta and Pina. See here.
Still, there should be more. Then again, I am not sure the government can/should do much to force private banks to place branches or ATM's in the Zona Colonial. Perhaps they could ask/encourage the autonomous government bank, Banco de Reservas, to place one or more ATM's deeper into the ZC, as a public service.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
yeah i am aware of the BHD but technically it's not on the Conde and the last visit there they wanted $3.00 pesos to complete any ATM transactions.
On Calle Isabella Catolica are several ATM's (Banco Reservas, Scotia Bank, Banco Popular) but none are on the Conde itself.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Karl,I live on the calle mercedes side of el Conde and have quite a good relationship with the ZC police based down near Plaza Espana ..they told me frequently not to use the ATM machines in Conde nor Mella because there were small gangs on the look out..one man near the machine would telephone accomplices further away and tell them who had withdrawn money and the person would be attacked further away ..maybe that is the reason.
I agree with you that ZC is more liveable as every week passes ..the only negatives are the parking hassles and the car mirrors thieves .We still have a battle further up with the ruins of San Francisco . But I think it is four steps forward and one step back ..

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
yeah i am aware of the BHD but technically it's not on the Conde and the last visit there they wanted $3.00 pesos to complete any ATM transactions.
On Calle Isabella Catolica are several ATM's (Banco Reservas, Scotia Bank, Banco Popular) but none are on the Conde itself.
You probably mean 3 USD (for customers of other banks ), since 3 pesos is negligible.
Anyway, you will have a tough time convincing banks that it is necessary that atm be EXACTLY at a given street. Most people are satisfied just having an ATM nearby.

The fact that El Conde is a pedestrian street probably comlicates loading and unloading operations, since they would have to leave the vehicle near but not directly in front the machine, and this increases the security risk. Even if it is at a corner it may not be feasible to park exactly at the corner. Most crossing streets are quite narrow also.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
ATMs

I would not be surprised to see an ATM or two installed soon in the new Nacional Supermarket at Conde and Duarte.

Karl,I live on the calle mercedes side of el Conde and have quite a good relationship with the ZC police based down near Plaza Espana ..they told me frequently not to use the ATM machines in Conde nor Mella because there were small gangs on the look out..one man near the machine would telephone accomplices further away and tell them who had withdrawn money and the person would be attacked further away ..maybe that is the reason.
I agree with you that ZC is more liveable as every week passes ..the only negatives are the parking hassles and the car mirrors thieves .We still have a battle further up with the ruins of San Francisco . But I think it is four steps forward and one step back ..

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I would not be surprised to see an ATM or two installed soon in the new Nacional Supermarket at Conde and Duarte.

yes but inside ....what a delight to have National there although Questa had so many good hardware items ..same owners I know..,,now I have to go up that hill to Ferreteria Americana in Mella

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I didn't realize stealing car mirrors were an issue in ZC, at least not until they stole my drivers side mirror off my truck about 2 months ago. Ever since I am cautious where I park and glad to pay a few pesos to have someone watch it.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
yes but inside ....what a delight to have National there although Questa had so many good hardware items ..same owners I know..,,now I have to go up that hill to Ferreteria Americana in Mella

Questa is right across the street from the National? They don't carry the same items as before?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Cuesta

Cuesta moved across the street into the former Jumbo location. It's a smaller space but the store seems well stocked. The parking is better on Mella anyway.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Unfortunately it is the new fad in thievery. Faroles (fog lights) used to be a thing but the combination of people using epoxy to secure them and newer cars coming from the factory with better auxiliary lighting than the after market alternatives caused the thieves to lose interest in them. Head to Villa Juana for replacement mirrors. If you are really lucky, you might be able to buy back the same one that came from your vehicle so the paint will match exactly.

I didn't realize stealing car mirrors were an issue in ZC, at least not until they stole my drivers side mirror off my truck about 2 months ago. Ever since I am cautious where I park and glad to pay a few pesos to have someone watch it.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
The colonial zone is more and more liveable but with each step forward they take four back. Now, in the center of the tourist zone there are no more ATM's on the Conde. The last one, Banco Popular branch inside Sederias California has closed and moved to La Sirena on Ave. Mella.

The mini Branch has moved but the ATM is still inside. Banco Popular has done that to other mini Branches also.