Driving Directions Santo Domingo Airport to Allegro Barvaro Resort (Punta Canta)

Julia

Jan 28, 2002
Hello - We plan to fly into Santo Domingo Airport and rent a car to drive to the Allegro Bavaro Resport in Punta Canta on Feb 22. I want - need - great driving directions. Help please! Thanks

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
We recommend that you drive, only if you have four hours of day light. We do not recommend that you drive at night. Better to pay a taxi.

If you go by daylight...

Head East all the time. The key is to ask, ask and ask. People will be helpful. Just keep on the main roads ask for each town.

The towns you will pass are:

Boca Chica (the highway actually passes north of this town)
Juan Dolio (the highway also goes north of this town)
San Pedro de Macoris. Gets a bit tricky here because this gets inside the town. Here you want to go in direction of the Zona Franca. Once you get to the Zona Franca, you turn East again (left) and continue on the main highway.
La Romana. Here it is a bit tricky. Here you want to go in direction of Casa de Campo. Once you pass the entrance of Casa de Campo you continue on that same main road to Higuey. May I suggest, if it is still early, that before continuing on to Bavaro, you make a detour to see Altos de Chavon. After passing Casa de Campo, it's the next big turn to the right. They don't have a big sign, so when you see a road turning to the right, ask to make sure.
La Romana Airport. El Limon shopping center. Dominicus entrance. You need to pass all these continuing East all the time.
Higuey is again tricky because it is a town. You want to go in the direction of the Basilica de la Altagracia. Once you pass the Basilica when the road ends you turn south, or to the right.
La Otra Banda. A very picturesque town on the way to Punta Cana-Bavaro.
Now you want the road to Bavaro. Just ask for the Allegro Bavaro Resort. There will be road signs all over the place advertising the different hotels.

This can be a fun trip. We recommend that you not be timid, and ask, ask and ask to make sure you are going in the right direction.

The entire trip, without stop, will take about 3:30-4 hours.

Also see another contributor's description of part of the road, but the other way around, from Punta Cana-Bavaro to Bayahibe/Dominicus.
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15482

Julia

Jan 28, 2002
Thank you so much for the info - should have our rental car secured by 2pm - 3.5 to 4 hrs takes us to 6pm. Here in Virginia it is now dark at 6pm. What time will it be dark in the Dominican Republic on February 22?

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Renting a car

You know for the price of a car....to rent ....and then you have a drop off charge, cause you are not gonna bring it back? Your better off to get a cab....safer and probably cheaper....plus you can have a few beers and watch the sceenery along the way. If you want a cab....e-mail me me and I'll send you the name of a really good guy and he has great prices and it'll be a lot better for you........unless you are a frequent visitor to the DR......and by the sounds of it, your not......no matter, it's just better to take a cab. Probably cost around 150 Us.....just a guess ....and no headaches, and once again you get to enjoy the trip, and have a few beers along the way!!!!

alex2812

Jan 31, 2002
I agree with all the other replies. I frequent the DR often and would never drive
1. It's not cheap
2. Very Dangerous..because of other drivers and the road condition, never mind the poorly mark roads.
3. They don't have insurance

Take a tourist taxi, it won't cost you that much and you'll be alot more comfortable. There's nothing like starting a vacation on the wrong foot.
If you want adventure and looking to save a feel bucks, try a wawa. You'll get to Punta Cana for peanuts.

Regards and safe travels.

I'll be in Juan Dolio (next to Boca Chica in late March)