Status of Montellano

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
It is perhaps a good thing that CristoRey did not pick Villa Montellano, which is a barrio in the Province of Puerto Plata, in which to live.

Villa Montellano used to just be called Montellano and is between Sosua and Puerto Plata.

Didn't realize Montellano was a barrio.

I hope beyond hope that this is meant to be sarcastic.
I am confused by this exchange. Is it a private joke?

Is Montellano really classed as a "barrio"? I have always considered "barrio" to be a subsection of a town, perhaps equivalent to "ward" or "district" Montellano is a distinct small town, surrounded by open land, so in no way an extension of Puerto Plata or Sosua. I believe it has its own sindico or alcalde (not sure of the difference).

I sense that "barrio" is intended here to be demeaning, but in other Spanish-speaking countries it is neutral and can sometimes describe wealthy areas.

Please explain.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Well, the average middle class or high class Dominican from Naco or Piantini won't be happy when you ask in which barrio he lives.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Oh no, now you did it. Now were going to hear what a quaint little town it is, with charm and character, and serves great little tacos blah blah, with affordable rentals

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Oh no, now you did it. Now were going to hear what a quaint little town it is, with charm and character, and serves great little tacos blah blah, with affordable rentals

you just know that any foreigner who lives in montellano mentions how they love dominican culture 10 times a day.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

It has affordable hookers, none of them 1000 peso broads! Also when I saw the title of this thread I assumed we'd see something about he sugar plant which we were told a couple of years ago was leased for 99 years to a Colombian concern and going to go back into production soon. Whatever happened to that?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Actually Montellano is a quaint little town, with charm and character, and they serve great little tacos there. With affordable rentals and putas at factory-gate prices before the Sosua mark-up.

But no-one has answered my question. If, as CCCCCCCCCCCC rightly states, a "barrio" is a neighbourhood (rich or poor), how can a whole town be a barrio? Is "barrio" a recognized administrative or electoral unit?

I have heard the affluent district of Bayardo in Pto Pta called a "barrio", so some Dominicans must be familiar with the correct Spanish usage. Probably better educated or more travelled people like CCCCCCCCCCCCC
:squareeye

Last edited:

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
to answer your question, montellano is a separate town.
I know that. So it is not a barrio and Windeguy was wrong?

In this case, when CristoRey very reasonably posted that he did not realize it was a barrio, why did Meemselle suggest he was being sarcastic?

You guys are holding out on me here. It is a conspiracy!

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
montellano status is: dump. it's a wretched little town.

Montellano is typical small town DR.
If one is so hard up for "class" why come to the D.R. at all and live in a gated community?
By the way Poland and it's new government also is a wretched little country, more fun in Montellano :classic:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
montellano status is: dump. it's a wretched little town.

I had always hoped Montellano would get their sugarcane factory back. They could use it.

And always hoped HomeRun/Tipico Azucar would open back up someday. Been empty for quite awhile now.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
While growing up in Santiago, I always heard "Barrio" used to to refer to the poorest neighborhoods, while "Urbanizacion" or "Sector" were used to the better off parts of town. For Example, Cerros de Gurabo would not be a "barrio" in DR Spanish and a person living there would be offended if you said, "que barrio mas lindo!" in that neighborhood....

Barrio, actually just means neighborhood in correct Spanish....as I came to find out talking to people from other Latin American countries.....

Montellano is a town of Puerto Plata province as far as I know, is neither a part of Puerto Plata or Sosua, but part of Puerto Plata PROVINCE, just like Licey al Medio is not a part of Santiago but belongs to Santiago PROVINCE, leading to confusion....