Citizen Movement And Protest For Garbage Removal In Santiago

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
refuse has always been a problem in Santiago, I grease the pick up guys often. I don't want to get to the point where I just throw my trash on the street like many do

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
govts have actaully been relieving themselves of garbage removal...sweeping the streets etc....says it costs too much...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Meanwhile, plenty of Haitians willing to do the work..

Illegal aliens will do any job. Plenty of Dominicans are willing to do the job. We have very consistent garbage pick up here in Jarabacoa. Businesses pay, residential don't pay but it's not expensive $2500 pesos per year for us for two schools. $300 psos per worker at christmas.

May 29, 2006
Higuey is hit or miss. We have a crew come around about every other week, but dogs can get into bags left out for pickup. And in some barrios, any abandoned lot is used for public dumping grounds. There's a couple piles the crews will take care of and in town, dumpsters and barrels. Small burn piles are common and then you've got the stink from the plastic.

The mayor seems to make an effort to keep it in check, but I worry what will happen after the next elections.

Santo Domingo seems worse than in spots, so bad the heaps can become traffic hazards in some intersections.

Tags here in the states are a buck per can plus $15/month for the service. We only put out one or two cans a month.. it's expensive, but it's better than making our own dump runs.

In town, you buy large color coded bags for curbside pickup at $2 a bag and they pick up every day.

Last edited:

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Perhaps I should make this a new thread; however... I'll start here first!

I asked in another thread about WHAT types of food I should donate to a very poor neighborhood..
and received some EXCELLENT advice..

Now I hope to "kill two birds with one stone" by trading food packages for bags of basura as they have same problems cited below... I would appreciate your ideas on how to make this plan work:

1. I will pay my basura guy to come to the barrio on a weekend day
2. we will hand out garbage bags
3. each bag returned with a bag of basura is tossed in the basura tuck and that person receives a food package
4. Repeat weekly...

Please don't just say, "it'll never work..." as we won't know if we don't try! ;)
Gracias!

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I asked in another thread about WHAT types of food I should donate to a very poor neighborhood..

Now I hope to "kill two birds with one stone" by trading food packages for bags of basura as they have same problems cited below... I would appreciate your ideas on how to make this plan work:

3. each bag returned with a bag of basura is tossed in the basura tuck and that person receives a food package
4. Repeat weekly...

Please don't just say, "it'll never work..." as we won't know if we don't try! ;)
Gracias!

The idea sounds good to me. 4 years ago a Canadian man here in Munoz had water filters to give away to the local Haitian community. People had donated enuff money so he bought 40 of them. These were regula buckets with a filter put in them that passed river water thru a clay filter impregnated with silver flakes. He offered them to the local people for a bag of garbage each and the people didn;t want to clean their neighborhood up enuff to even do that. But I approve the idea..Eating maybe more important than drinking clean water!
Der Fish

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
its worth a shot

4. Repeat weekly...

Gracias!