Thank you DR1

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for the people who helped us find an apartment in Santiago. We found some ranging from 5000 to 15000pesos. We found out that you get loaded a few grand for being a gringo. It is certainly a minefield finding the right place. If anyone is looking for a reasonably price apt they can pm me. We looked around Don Pedro and Los Alamos and El Embrujo etc.

Apr 7, 2014
Thanks for the people who helped us find an apartment in Santiago. We found some ranging from 5000 to 15000pesos. We found out that you get loaded a few grand for being a gringo. It is certainly a minefield finding the right place. If anyone is looking for a reasonably price apt they can pm me. We looked around Don Pedro and Los Alamos and El Embrujo etc.
Where did you settle on?

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
Where did you settle on?

We first rented a two bed in Los Alamos. We rented from a lawyer who bent over backward to make sure we were ok when we had trouble with the neighbours. It was a two bed with a nice view at 8000 per month. We have just moved to Las Dianas at 11.500.

Apr 7, 2014
We first rented a two bed in Los Alamos. We rented from a lawyer who bent over backward to make sure we were ok when we had trouble with the neighbours. It was a two bed with a nice view at 8000 per month. We have just moved to Las Dianas at 11.500.
What agent did you use? Satisfactory? Unsatisfactory?

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
What agent did you use? Satisfactory? Unsatisfactory?

The first guy who helped us was an American living in Los Alamos. He knew a few people who helped out.
In Villa Olga we found a very professional guy from Santiago who drove us around in his SUV and showed us a few places around 12,500RD and up.
We discovered a guy called Modesto who learned his English in POP working with the tourists and he was so shady we decided to drop him. The guy who recommended him said that he would rip us off as we were foreigners. He did know places everywhere around the NE. He didn't understand quiet neighbourhood as one place had a rooster crowing outside the window and he didn't notice.
Unfortunately when we moved I lost all my cards.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There IS no "quiet neighborhood" in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and when they say,"Agua y luz 24/7" you KNOW they are lying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

web

Nov 5, 2005
How many deposits did you have to pay? In my experience in Sosua you can get away with one, Puerto Plata two, Santo Domingo three, what about Santiago?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
How many deposits did you have to pay? In my experience in Sosua you can get away with one, Puerto Plata two, Santo Domingo three, what about Santiago?

Which one The lights or the water or to the landlord or telephone or which one?

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013

We had to pay 3. It makes the move quite expensive. When we left Los Alamos we didn't pay the last month.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
There IS no "quiet neighborhood" in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and when they say,"Agua y luz 24/7" you KNOW they are lying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Exactly. It is there most of the time but the water is getting cut off a lot more recently. The longest power out has been 5 hours. My wife has a UPS for the modem and 2 batteries for the laptop and just managed to stay alive for 4 hours.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
2 batteries for the laptop and just managed to stay alive for 4 hours.

Just a tip based on personal experience: Depending on the laptop brand and model, there might be spare batteries with different capacities available (6-9 cell batteries, for example), so you might be able to get much longer "online" time with rather little money by using a larger battery. The price of a laptop battery, even with extended capacity, again, depending on brand and model of the laptop, might be just a fraction of the price tag of a decent UPS/inverter cost.

I have two 7800 mAh / 87 Wh / 9 cell batteries, and get up to 10 hours (combined) out of those, and with laptop you of course easily charge your other smaller devices...

slowDown

Feb 14, 2016
Wowzer, 11500 a month. My perception of cost for rentals was really off/high. Is that price the average for Santiago city? I am beginning to plan a 3 month stay in the DR, traveling solo, first time. Will be on the Island end of March.

Also curious- does something like this include a full kitchen- socked with utensils/etc, provides linens and other amenities like internet? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question.

Would Santiago be a good choice for a first timer from the states? I would like to score a studio to 1 bedroom, in area that is walkable with a gym, decent food options, restaurants and grocers and some semblance of night life.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
whats the date and time for the apartment warming party? Will it be open bar? What sort of food will be served? What will be the entertainment? Should I bring a date or will that be provided? Be a really good idea for you to meet up and thank us in person at your party.