Trujillo and chinola juice

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I love drinking the chinola juice, and it has never given me any problems. Mix it with some Brugal Anejo and it is fantastic. However, I always have Dominicans laugh and tell me to BE CAREFUL! They say it is not good for a man (if you know what I mean)
A Dominican explained to me that this is a false rumor that Trujillo spread. He wanted a lighter skinned nation,and he wanted the Dominicans to have less babies, so he spread the rumor that chinola was bad for a man's vigor, and men should avoid it, when actually the opposite was true, and it lived up to it's other name, "the passion fruit".
Has anyone else heard these rumors?
(I can't wait for chic and cc's comments.)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I love drinking the chinola juice, and it has never given me any problems. Mix it with some Brugal Anejo and it is fantastic. However, I always have Dominicans laugh and tell me to BE CAREFUL! They say it is not good for a man (if you know what I mean)
A Dominican explained to me that this is a false rumor that Trujillo spread. He wanted a lighter skinned nation,and he wanted the Dominicans to have less babies, so he spread the rumor that chinola was bad for a man's vigor, and men should avoid it, when actually the opposite was true, and it lived up to it's other name, "the passion fruit".
Has anyone else heard these rumors?
(I can't wait for chic and cc's comments.)

it is a rumor that Trujillo started that rumor. it is common legend in the caribbean that chinola does bad things to Mr Wheezer.

Jan 7, 2016
Considering the amount of Chinola Juice consumed on this Island, it hasn't decreased the philandering or birth rates one iota!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Trujillo may well have been correct.

Chinola reduces arterial tension and heart beat.....

http://www.villagonzalencesny.org/propiedades-de-la-chinola-o-fruta-de-la-pasion-o-maracuya/

First paragraph web translation.......

It tomb to man, myth or reality. NEW YORK, USA.-

In addition to these properties has been found one that is the one that concerns us, "The Chinese/produces diminution of the arterial tension and to a decrease in the number of beats in the heart".Then knowing that we know that to happen an erection must be filled with blood vessels of the penis and for this we need pressure, in addition to the process of ejaculation the body further enhances the arterial tension and the beating of the heart.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Considering the amount of Chinola Juice consumed on this Island, it hasn't decreased the philandering or birth rates one iota!

i'm pretty sure cinola juice served in DR is 10% fruit and 90% sugar. whatever natural properties of the plant are trumped by diabetes inducing industrial proportion of sugar.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Trujillo may well have been correct.

Chinola reduces arterial tension and heart beat.....

http://www.villagonzalencesny.org/propiedades-de-la-chinola-o-fruta-de-la-pasion-o-maracuya/

First paragraph web translation.......

It tomb to man, myth or reality. NEW YORK, USA.-

In addition to these properties has been found one that is the one that concerns us, "The Chinese/produces diminution of the arterial tension and to a decrease in the number of beats in the heart".Then knowing that we know that to happen an erection must be filled with blood vessels of the penis and for this we need pressure, in addition to the process of ejaculation the body further enhances the arterial tension and the beating of the heart.

Maybe my understanding of anatomy is incomplete, but this would only yield fewer babies, not lighter ones. Am I right? Selective science, I guess, for El Jefe.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I like the Chinola Halves when they serve it at the AI's at breakfast .
I dont see it in too many places other than that.. even though Im assuming it grown plentiful in the DR.. The juice right up for sure.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I drank chinola juice every morning when living in Nagua. Never noticed a difference. Sounds like a old wives tale but
sure makes for great conversation here on DR1.
Perhaps Trujillo should have tried dieting and exercise.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I drank chinola juice every morning when living in Nagua. Never noticed a difference. Sounds like a old wives tale but
sure makes for great conversation here on DR1.

of course it is an old wives?tale. i have never met anyone who can offer evidence to substantiate that claim.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Imagine if Trujilo had tried diet and exercise. And responsible, science-based family planning for the years he exercised absolute power. It would be a different country today.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It was the opposite - people received prizes or awards for having vast numbers of children.

May 5, 2007
Didn't know what chinola was until I looked it up Had it in Po City from vendor, they were selling it as a "refreshment" just the fruit with straw poked in. It was usual 200o with 99% humidity so I was hoping for a tart refreshing juice but I had to question if they somehow added sugar, was the sweetest junk I ever drank, little flavor just the taste of sugar water with kind of a flowery scent

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Chinola is also known as a soporific. It puts you right to sleep. Parcha elsewhere in the Spanish speaking world. I was surprised that in Cartagena Colombia it was referred with the portuguese word maracuja.

May 29, 2006
There could be several threads on superstitions. If a bruja moth lands on you, you might get sick and die. Mi esposa tells me that men who are exposed to cat hair can become sterile.. menthol cures everything from a cold to a stomach ache.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It was the opposite - people received prizes or awards for having vast numbers of children.

You beat me to it. And he was godfather to hundreds / thousands of them. One of my husbands cousins was born in the 50s and Trujillo was his padrino. He got a cash gift.

Whenever someone starts talking about Trujillo, he laughs and tongue-in-cheek warns you to talk nice about his padrino

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
There could be several threads on superstitions. If a bruja moth lands on you, you might get sick and die. Mi esposa tells me that men who are exposed to cat hair can become sterile.. menthol cures everything from a cold to a stomach ache.

VeeVaPoRooooo!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Didn't know what chinola was until I looked it up Had it in Po City from vendor, they were selling it as a "refreshment" just the fruit with straw poked in. It was usual 200o with 99% humidity so I was hoping for a tart refreshing juice but I had to question if they somehow added sugar, was the sweetest junk I ever drank, little flavor just the taste of sugar water with kind of a flowery scent

Nah, nah, nah. My ama de llaves at the hotel I used to manage used to make me chinola and it was like the glucose test you have when you're pregnant. We reached an agreement wherein she made the juice, and I added the sweetener. Big plus: nobody else would touch it but me bc they found it not sweet enough.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Nah, nah, nah. My ama de llaves at the hotel I used to manage used to make me chinola and it was like the glucose test you have when you're pregnant. We reached an agreement wherein she made the juice, and I added the sweetener. Big plus: nobody else would touch it but me bc they found it not sweet enough.

The train has jumped off the tracks. I dont even know what is going on here.