Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A smart police move?

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...e-motocicletas

Armed robbery by 'two up' on a motorcycle has become very common indeed in the country so the policy proposed by the police chief yesterday does seem a good idea........to stop and check papers of persons two up on motorcycles....particularly aimed at suspicious ones.

2. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea a friend of mine had her purse swiped right before she got to the bank with the 5000 peso house payment by two on a moto.

I figure when two on a moto meet one with a .45 things may settle down

4. Likes melphis, Wishing you well, Garyexpat liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post

Armed robbery by 'two up' on a motorcycle has become very common indeed in the country so the policy proposed by the police chief yesterday does seem a good idea........to stop and check papers of persons two up on motorcycles....particularly aimed at suspicious ones.
    Seems about every M/C in the DR is at the very least "two up?"

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post

My friend was robbed of her purse last month in SD (zona colonial), cops were nearby and managed to shoot one of them. They still managed to flee. If only she had listened to me and went straight to LT (as I do).

7. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

there is a great comment under the article in la zeta informing about this new police measure:
    El problema de la delincuencia en la RD no son las motocicletas, son el auge de los vicios como las drogas, las faltas de oportunidades de autorrealizacion personal, la perdida de los valores familiares y los estimulos al consumismo que inducen a las personas a querer tener por cualquier medio lo que no pueden obtener honradamente. Así que no nos vayamos por la tangente. La enfermedad no está en la sábana.

PN could just as well arrest all men aged from 16 to 29 because they fit the most common profile of a criminal. maybe shoot them just in case, god will sort the good ones from the bad ones.

such ideas give impression that the police and the government are doing something to battle increasing crime issues but the truth is that they are, at best, calming some symptoms without actually treating the disease by improving justice system or working on providing employment and education. randomly stopping guys riding motos take attention and resources needed to combat crime where and when it happens. i'd rather see increased patrol presence on the streets, especially in the evenings. i'd rather see tougher treatment of criminals who are often let go after a small bribe. i'd rather see fast sentencing and tougher prisons. heck, i'd rather see more good old fashioned police brutality and having sh*t beaten out of small fry criminals as a means of a gentle reminder to stay on track.

9. Likes jinty05, Harleysrock, Squat, ROLLOUT, redserge and 1 others liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Cops let these scum commit petty crime like purse snatching and robberies for a small cut. A young cop who lived down
    stairs from me in Gurabo was arrested for lending out his gun to neighborhood stick up kids last November. Its very easy
    for the local police to curb and stop these types of crimes if they want too. Of course, its tolerated until its abused (one
    of these stick up kids shoots or kills a victim) then the police will take action. Anyone ever wonder how they are able
    to determine who the perps are in crimes like these, usually within just a few hours of the crime taking place?

11. Likes Garyexpat, redserge liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This purse snatching is bad for Tourism, takes food out of all their mouths..
    they need to start shooting these Fools.. shoot em dead..

13. Likes CristoRey, Harleysrock liked this post
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Below is the editorial referred to in the Listin report in the opening post with a not so good web translation.

http://www.listindiario.com/editoria...os-motorizados

It must face the "motorized murderers"

Motorized murderers have just noted another victim, in the person of a man who had been released from depositing money in a Bank and that was intercepted, a clean shot, to deprive him of the backpack in which the robbers believed that he was carrying a fortune, in the vicinity of the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo.

Already passed six crimes committed couples which mounted on the same engine, which confirms that we are in the presence of a criminal epidemic marked by the use of this vehicle, usually devoid of plate, registration and lights, to perpetrate robberies which often result in tragedies, at any time of the day.

The national police, which has been efficient in resolving these cases at a time near-record, must put in place a special, exceptional circumstances, before operation to cache all those suspects who walk in pairs in engines, both to demand identity documents and to verify that the vehicle is in rule.

Thanks to Christmas in peace operations, executed by order of the police Chief, major general Nelson Peguero walls, were were unable to stop more than 30 thousand people with problems of documentation, some fugitives of Justice, many with illegal weapons and others in contradictions with the laws transit, indicating that any positive result might have another operating not similar to the one in terms of mobilization of agents, but more concentrated in certain vulnerable areas of the capital.

Motorized murderers should quickly receive the signal that police will be openly for them, to close its field of criminal maneuvers that day sow fears justified in citizenship.

Citizens now look to all sides and not lose sight of couples in engines, because so many misdeeds that they are committed with the use of these devices will have on alerts.

We believe that the national police would give a response that would create support of citizenship by having these special operations to hopefully help prevent more tragedies from the engines, such as which have conturbado the nation in recent days.

This policy alone will not solve the problems of delinquency and related crime that has risen to the top of the political agenda the past year, but the stark fact is that delinquents 'two up' on motos normally with the one on the rear with gun is responsible in large part to many serious robberies and most gun homicides.

It doesn't solve the problem of some bad eggs in the NP too but a revamped NP is being discussed and this is one initiative publicized. I hope there are many more because the increase in crime of recent will damage badly the image of the country as well as affecting and worrying it's people if not addressed quickly and effectively.

There have been some very good articles linking corruption and all manner of criminality and let's hope that in election year this too stays at the top of the political agenda too and provokes changes for the better.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    there is a great comment under the article in la zeta informing about this new police measure:
    El problema de la delincuencia en la RD no son las motocicletas, son el auge de los vicios como las drogas, las faltas de oportunidades de autorrealizacion personal, la perdida de los valores familiares y los estimulos al consumismo que inducen a las personas a querer tener por cualquier medio lo que no pueden obtener honradamente. Así que no nos vayamos por la tangente. La enfermedad no está en la sábana.

PN could just as well arrest all men aged from 16 to 29 because they fit the most common profile of a criminal. maybe shoot them just in case, god will sort the good ones from the bad ones.

such ideas give impression that the police and the government are doing something to battle increasing crime issues but the truth is that they are, at best, calming some symptoms without actually treating the disease by improving justice system or working on providing employment and education. randomly stopping guys riding motos take attention and resources needed to combat crime where and when it happens. i'd rather see increased patrol presence on the streets, especially in the evenings. i'd rather see tougher treatment of criminals who are often let go after a small bribe. i'd rather see fast sentencing and tougher prisons. heck, i'd rather see more good old fashioned police brutality and having sh*t beaten out of small fry criminals as a means of a gentle reminder to stay on track.
    I was about to click on "Like" until I got to the last sentence.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    PN could just as well arrest all men aged from 16 to 29 because they fit the most common profile of a criminal.
    You mean they look Dominican?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast