A smart police move?

Apr 7, 2014
Yea a friend of mine had her purse swiped right before she got to the bank with the 5000 peso house payment by two on a moto.

I figure when two on a moto meet one with a .45 things may settle down

May 5, 2007

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...el-perfil-dudoso-de-ocupantes-de-motocicletas

Armed robbery by 'two up' on a motorcycle has become very common indeed in the country so the policy proposed by the police chief yesterday does seem a good idea........to stop and check papers of persons two up on motorcycles....particularly aimed at suspicious ones.

My friend was robbed of her purse last month in SD (zona colonial), cops were nearby and managed to shoot one of them. They still managed to flee. If only she had listened to me and went straight to LT (as I do). :smoke:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a great comment under the article in la zeta informing about this new police measure:
El problema de la delincuencia en la RD no son las motocicletas, son el auge de los vicios como las drogas, las faltas de oportunidades de autorrealizacion personal, la perdida de los valores familiares y los estimulos al consumismo que inducen a las personas a querer tener por cualquier medio lo que no pueden obtener honradamente. As? que no nos vayamos por la tangente. La enfermedad no est? en la s?bana.

PN could just as well arrest all men aged from 16 to 29 because they fit the most common profile of a criminal. maybe shoot them just in case, god will sort the good ones from the bad ones.

such ideas give impression that the police and the government are doing something to battle increasing crime issues but the truth is that they are, at best, calming some symptoms without actually treating the disease by improving justice system or working on providing employment and education. randomly stopping guys riding motos take attention and resources needed to combat crime where and when it happens. i'd rather see increased patrol presence on the streets, especially in the evenings. i'd rather see tougher treatment of criminals who are often let go after a small bribe. i'd rather see fast sentencing and tougher prisons. heck, i'd rather see more good old fashioned police brutality and having sh*t beaten out of small fry criminals as a means of a gentle reminder to stay on track.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Cops let these scum commit petty crime like purse snatching and robberies for a small cut. A young cop who lived down
stairs from me in Gurabo was arrested for lending out his gun to neighborhood stick up kids last November. Its very easy
for the local police to curb and stop these types of crimes if they want too. Of course, its tolerated until its abused (one
of these stick up kids shoots or kills a victim) then the police will take action. Anyone ever wonder how they are able
to determine who the perps are in crimes like these, usually within just a few hours of the crime taking place?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
This purse snatching is bad for Tourism, takes food out of all their mouths..
they need to start shooting these Fools.. shoot em dead..

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Below is the editorial referred to in the Listin report in the opening post with a not so good web translation.

http://www.listindiario.com/editorial/2016/01/14/403842/hay-que-enfrentar-a-los-asesinos-motorizados

It must face the "motorized murderers"

Motorized murderers have just noted another victim, in the person of a man who had been released from depositing money in a Bank and that was intercepted, a clean shot, to deprive him of the backpack in which the robbers believed that he was carrying a fortune, in the vicinity of the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo.

Already passed six crimes committed couples which mounted on the same engine, which confirms that we are in the presence of a criminal epidemic marked by the use of this vehicle, usually devoid of plate, registration and lights, to perpetrate robberies which often result in tragedies, at any time of the day.

The national police, which has been efficient in resolving these cases at a time near-record, must put in place a special, exceptional circumstances, before operation to cache all those suspects who walk in pairs in engines, both to demand identity documents and to verify that the vehicle is in rule.

Thanks to Christmas in peace operations, executed by order of the police Chief, major general Nelson Peguero walls, were were unable to stop more than 30 thousand people with problems of documentation, some fugitives of Justice, many with illegal weapons and others in contradictions with the laws transit, indicating that any positive result might have another operating not similar to the one in terms of mobilization of agents, but more concentrated in certain vulnerable areas of the capital.

Motorized murderers should quickly receive the signal that police will be openly for them, to close its field of criminal maneuvers that day sow fears justified in citizenship.

Citizens now look to all sides and not lose sight of couples in engines, because so many misdeeds that they are committed with the use of these devices will have on alerts.

We believe that the national police would give a response that would create support of citizenship by having these special operations to hopefully help prevent more tragedies from the engines, such as which have conturbado the nation in recent days.

This policy alone will not solve the problems of delinquency and related crime that has risen to the top of the political agenda the past year, but the stark fact is that delinquents 'two up' on motos normally with the one on the rear with gun is responsible in large part to many serious robberies and most gun homicides.

It doesn't solve the problem of some bad eggs in the NP too but a revamped NP is being discussed and this is one initiative publicized. I hope there are many more because the increase in crime of recent will damage badly the image of the country as well as affecting and worrying it's people if not addressed quickly and effectively.

There have been some very good articles linking corruption and all manner of criminality and let's hope that in election year this too stays at the top of the political agenda too and provokes changes for the better.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
there is a great comment under the article in la zeta informing about this new police measure:
El problema de la delincuencia en la RD no son las motocicletas, son el auge de los vicios como las drogas, las faltas de oportunidades de autorrealizacion personal, la perdida de los valores familiares y los estimulos al consumismo que inducen a las personas a querer tener por cualquier medio lo que no pueden obtener honradamente. As? que no nos vayamos por la tangente. La enfermedad no est? en la s?bana.

PN could just as well arrest all men aged from 16 to 29 because they fit the most common profile of a criminal. maybe shoot them just in case, god will sort the good ones from the bad ones.

such ideas give impression that the police and the government are doing something to battle increasing crime issues but the truth is that they are, at best, calming some symptoms without actually treating the disease by improving justice system or working on providing employment and education. randomly stopping guys riding motos take attention and resources needed to combat crime where and when it happens. i'd rather see increased patrol presence on the streets, especially in the evenings. i'd rather see tougher treatment of criminals who are often let go after a small bribe. i'd rather see fast sentencing and tougher prisons. heck, i'd rather see more good old fashioned police brutality and having sh*t beaten out of small fry criminals as a means of a gentle reminder to stay on track.

I was about to click on "Like" until I got to the last sentence.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I heard something like this exists in Colombia, like no two guys on a moto after the dark, but not sure if it's true or not. But what about two PN on a moto? It's the worst type of criminals in DR.

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
Funny that you mention Colombia. Griselda Blanco was credited for inventing the use of motorbikes in Colombia to put out hits on her rival gang members, from there it became quite common to operate in the same fashion to commit other crimes along the way.
I'm really curious about something, and this is just from my personal experience with some Dominicans I have dealt with, I will not generalize. They seem to not understand constructive criticism. It is obvious this crime thing is spiraling out of control, and surprisingly the president has said Zero on the topic.....It almost seems sometimes like if no one notices the Elephant in the room, the problem will just go away! There is a reporter on CDN named Felix Victorino who suggested asking for outside help to help train these officers in order to slow crime down.

The police neither have the equipment, training, or manpower to deal with the issue. Why not ask other countries who have been able to reduce crime rates in their own cities to lend a hand before the Island goes to hell in a hand basket? Is it a pride thing? Or do they just don't give a damm? The wealthy all have Visas, so worst come to worst they can leave, but what about the ones who don't? I just get the feeling that some Dominicans prefer to put up a screen instead of admitting to their shortcomings in order to get things back on track.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but even with my own Dominican girlfriend and family, they show no interest in news, newspapers, current events, nothing at all! I think I know more about what goes on there than they do! Half the time when I mention an event the say: when and where did this happen??? The biggest joke is trying to get my girlfriend to look at the weather app to see if it is going to rain or not, then suddenly she is ****ed because she got caught in the rain without an umbrella......She checks Whatsapp all day, but you can't take a second to check and see if it is going to rain or not??? WTF? Totally irritating. That is the way I feel about the crime.....If you don't have the solution, for Pete's sake ask for help!!! It is a sad day when a pregnant mom of 7 months gets killed on the street for a cell phone. Her first child and she was a school teacher at that. Bad enough education is subpar, but on top of it they are now killing teachers??? Last year they killed another female teacher to steal her pasola.....They need to stop the bleeding before it is too late.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Funny that you mention Colombia. Griselda Blanco was credited for inventing the use of motorbikes in Colombia to put out hits on her rival gang members, from there it became quite common to operate in the same fashion to commit other crimes along the way.
I'm really curious about something, and this is just from my personal experience with some Dominicans I have dealt with, I will not generalize. They seem to not understand constructive criticism. It is obvious this crime thing is spiraling out of control, and surprisingly the president has said Zero on the topic.....It almost seems sometimes like if no one notices the Elephant in the room, the problem will just go away! There is a reporter on CDN named Felix Victorino who suggested asking for outside help to help train these officers in order to slow crime down.

The police neither have the equipment, training, or manpower to deal with the issue. Why not ask other countries who have been able to reduce crime rates in their own cities to lend a hand before the Island goes to hell in a hand basket? Is it a pride thing? Or do they just don't give a damm? The wealthy all have Visas, so worst come to worst they can leave, but what about the ones who don't? I just get the feeling that some Dominicans prefer to put up a screen instead of admitting to their shortcomings in order to get things back on track.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but even with my own Dominican girlfriend and family, they show no interest in news, newspapers, current events, nothing at all! I think I know more about what goes on there than they do! Half the time when I mention an event the say: when and where did this happen??? The biggest joke is trying to get my girlfriend to look at the weather app to see if it is going to rain or not, then suddenly she is ****ed because she got caught in the rain without an umbrella......She checks Whatsapp all day, but you can't take a second to check and see if it is going to rain or not??? WTF? Totally irritating. That is the way I feel about the crime.....If you don't have the solution, for Pete's sake ask for help!!! It is a sad day when a pregnant mom of 7 months gets killed on the street for a cell phone. Her first child and she was a school teacher at that. Bad enough education is subpar, but on top of it they are now killing teachers??? Last year they killed another female teacher to steal her pasola.....They need to stop the bleeding before it is too late.

Trujillo Had a way of dealing with crime that worked very well. He placed spanish cops in the high positions. He then had once or twice a month . Three criminals taken out of La Victoria. They drove them to the marina base. Then took them on a motorboat out to sea. There tied cinderblocks on two of them and threw them overboard. The third one was taken back and released unharmed.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My friend was robbed of her purse last month in SD (zona colonial), cops were nearby and managed to shoot one of them. They still managed to flee. If only she had listened to me and went straight to LT (as I do). :smoke:

When you come to the DR as a tourist DO NOT walk around with a big purse. Where a pack of some kind and be aware of your surroundings. Do not carry a purse with big straps and leave most of your credit cards, passport and cash in the safe. There are a bunch of __sholes driving around looking for potential victims.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

...some people are not happy.....some are...

The only matter that could be considered contentious is the profiling. Being stopped and asked for ID is not contentious and there is a legal requirement to carry ID, nor is asking for proof of moto ownership, registration or insurance. Law abiding citizens and authorized motoconchistas should have no reason to worry.

Why does everyone grumble when the police finally do something which begins to regularize use of motos and more importantly remove the potential for these 'two up' murdering bandits?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
because 99% of moto users are not criminals?

And it is criminal for a government and it's police to do nothing to stop motorcycle users committing crimes whether petty or serious.

You say 99% of moto users are not criminals and thus acting illegally, they therefore should have zero reason to worry and can show their ID, wear a crash helmet, show insurance especially if carrying passengers, show ownership and registration, show their moto is safe with functional lights etc.....all legal requirements.

Nothing unreasonable there.......and on how many threads on this forum have people grumbled about motorcylce drivers not complying with any of these legal requirements. About time that NP and AMET do something about the extensive illegal use of motos throughout this land daily which involves lot of lesser criminality as well as very serious criminality too and accounts for huge carnage on the roads too.

I hope the initiative which involves stopping and checking documents is not short lived.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
did you read the article? the police does not simply check the documents, they pack up people on the back on the car and drive them to the station. they take the motos away.