Airport Issue

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I post here because only residents need know this.

Constantly, at the airport, they give me the little white form and the blue form.

The blue form states in two languages that it is for visitors only.
They insist I fill it out.... I refuse.
They insist that the white form is for Dominicans only.... Dominicans by birth.
All non-natural passengers need to fill out the blue form
I refuse.

My wife left an hour ago.....
naturally, she does exactly as told.... filled out the form... blue one for Visitors Only

I warned her.... Migracion won't accept that.... they want the white one and your cedula.
If I say it... it's basura.......... won't listen to me.

I called her after she passed through...

Yes, you're right, they refused the blue form.

The information desk, the muchacho checking passports and the ticket agent all insisted she need it.
I was the sole dissenter ............

AND THE ONLY CORRECT ONE.

rant over

What seems to be new is that you now fill out a customs declaration on exit.
I don't remember that.

Any way.... there you have it.

Residents need the customs form and the little white form............ period.

FWIW..........

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Last year when we arrived I didn't fill out the blue form. The guy got quite upset and insisted I fill it out. I showed him that it was for visitors only and had both my cedula and residence card.
The only way he would let us by was if I filled out the forms. I took both mine and my wife's and spent less than a minute on both. Jiberish would be an understatement. It looked like a 2 year old with crayons did it.
It worked. He stamped everything and away we went.
I love the cartoon world I live in.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
hard to navigate sometimes....

they need to be instructed/educated on the rules....

The Migracion desk gets it.... at least sometimes at some airports................ ?????

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Not only the locals at the airport have no clue, also the stewardesses of most airlines. They always insist I need the blue one and I always insist I need the white one. Last trip they announced: White forms for those BORN in DR. The reason why they say it like that is probably because some Dominicans residing abroad and with foreign passports might think they need the blue one, but saying it excludes resident foreigners.

Just say white form is for Dominican citizens / nationals and for residents.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have had the same thing happen.....

Many times , they don't even carry the whit form..... I have my own stash.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
After the issues I mentioned in the above post I came to a realization. I don't have a lot to do on the airplane so I just fill out the forms. I do it in Jiberish that I can't even read but it makes everyone happy.
It's one small way of leveling the playing field.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I just always keep it simple and say I need the white one. If they question where I was born I side step their questions by saying "I live there". Anyone who has the job of giving out the forms really couldn't care less where you're from or where you happen to hold residency. In the end the only person it is important to is the immigration officer in the little booth and he (or she) is well aware of what form is the proper one.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Similar situation with me. I filled out white, they wanted Blue. Now I fill out one of each and can usually offload both of them.
Address: Puerto Plata
Phone: Sony
Citizenship: Yes please.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What would the difference be in reality, white or blue?
I would fill out any color they wanted, even pink, just to not be hassled with.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No difference really except that Migracion won't take the blue one from a resident.

My point was/is that many of the employees don't know the system and can mislead you.
I expect one gets many different answers during the renewal process at the main Migracion office in Sto Dom..

So far, I have always 'lawyered' it.... am considering not doing so next time.
I'd just take a really good Spanish speaker with me.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
You can find the blank forms at several places around the airport. I always keep a handful in my the bottom of my travel bag and fill out the forms just before I leave for the airport. Makes for one less thing you need to do after you check in.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's what we do normally... but my wife - being the obedient person she is - heeded the bad advice and stood there filling out the wrong form.

Being the chief of logistics in our relationship, I cautioned her to check in first - fill the form afterwards.

I got the normal - Don't bother me now look.

Until a pointed to a bus barfing out a load of exhausted tourists ready to beat her to the check in counter.

Speedy Gonzales thanked me profusely...... they all had 2 bags and stood at the counter to fill out their forms.

You need to carry your own white forms - very rare for an airline to have any on hand and I hate to stand still in a line.
Front few rows of the plane for me
Carry on only
Usually first through Migracion
Straight to my waiting car........... engine running.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
That's what we do normally... but my wife - being the obedient person she is - heeded the bad advice and stood there filling out the wrong form.

Being the chief of logistics in our relationship, I cautioned her to check in first - fill the form afterwards.

I got the normal - Don't bother me now look.

Until a pointed to a bus barfing out a load of exhausted tourists ready to beat her to the check in counter.

Speedy Gonzales thanked me profusely...... they all had 2 bags and stood at the counter to fill out their forms.

You need to carry your own white forms - very rare for an airline to have any on hand and I hate to stand still in a line.
Front few rows of the plane for me
Carry on only
Usually first through Migracion
Straight to my waiting car........... engine running.
You took the words right out of my mouth..........except I have to add one line where I stop at the duty free for my wifes Buchanans. (How Dominicans can mix that stuff with apple juice and then drink it is beyond me ! oops thread drift.....sorry)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
didn't read the whole thread but I am a resident here with US passport. I only fill out the white immigration form and nothing else. I have my own stash as I make my own photocopies of it. upon returning, I fill out the white small form and the custom form. thats it. I travel every 2 months so this is my routine.
AZB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
didn't read the whole thread but I am a resident here with US passport. I only fill out the white immigration form and nothing else. I have my own stash as I make my own photocopies of it. upon returning, I fill out the white small form and the custom form. thats it. I travel every 2 months so this is my routine.
AZB

exactly the same for me when i fly to germany.
for departure i take the white form after check in on the way to the security check and fill it out there, takes just 30 seconds.
on my way back i take white and customs form from the german check in counter and fill 'em in on the plane before i have my nap.
never did anybody ask me for anything before i reach the Immigrations counter on return.
i just walk the Citizens line with my residency card in hand.
someone wanna give me a shout out i lift the residnecy card in the air and keep walking.

Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, did you ever consider the fact that th blue forms are for visitors...and visitors are tourists, and the more blue forms filled out the better the DR touristnumbers look at the Central Ban k?

Just sayin'

HB

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The Migracion desk gets it.... at least sometimes at some airports................ ?????

That wasn't my experience in Santo Domingo last Saturday.

I arrived on Feb. 1 and left on March 5 of this year. Because I live here on a long-term special visa (connected to my work - similar to the ones given to Peace Corps volunteers), I do not enter with a tourist card.

The Migraci?n inspector insisted that I had to pay an overstay fee for being in the country over thirty days. I pointed out that I had entered as a "visado" and that the visa is valid until 2017, but they still made me pay.

Tomorrow, we begin the "denuncia" process to get my 2500 pesos back!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh Grace...

it goes from bad to worse for your trip.....

I have corrected the US Immigration a few times.
They don't like it..... but they know so little , some of them.

One told me he had never seen a Cdn with a visa before.....wow!
Ever hear of NAFTA ?

You'll get your 2500 - surely .

Good luck