Buying motorbike from Dominican

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
How can you tell if the bike is legal? I bought a pasola a few years back and when I went to get the new placa two policemen turned up and said that the pasola had been stolen and would I give them the keys. I had a title but they said that it was forged. The rules are that you go back to the person who sold it to you and get your money back. Fat chance - they had spent the money and had no money and their family wanted to hurt me badly if I slandered their good name.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If I had your previous experience , I would just find a gringo who sells a pasola, but that's just me :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If I had your previous experience , I would just find a gringo who sells a pasola, but that's just me :)

makes a lot of sense. a gringo can burn you, too, but you have to factor in the little matter of likelihoods. if the chance of a gringo torching you is X, then the Dominican situation would be something like 10X. or X to the 10th power, perhaps.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That happened to our cleaner's boyfriend. The bike was confiscated and he was put in jail. As well as losing all the money he'd spent on the motorbike, she had to raise a substantial sum to get him out.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Forged Titles to a Pesola.. LOL
ya just gotta love the DR..
yeagh, i would buy from a Dealer. or at least let the POLICE Verify the Title as Authentic , On the next one.
And if they cant do that, then maybe the police are the ones doing the Scamming.. which is even more hilarious .
what a country.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and i bought a bike passola w/out a title ,,,,but the original owner i know i have evan gotten it back from impound hahahah

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
yawn.jpg

Loose the "chip" it's getting boring. Keep it up and I'll erase you.
How's that for a big bad "boss moderator" breathing down on you?

Instead of retaliating, why don't you make them look stupid with actual facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I bought a pasola a few years back and when I went to get the new placa two policemen turned up and said that the pasola had been stolen and would I give them the keys. I had a title but they said that it was forged. The rules are that you go back to the person who sold it to you and get your money back. Fat chance - they had spent the money and had no money and their family wanted to hurt me badly if I slandered their good name.
I doubt that is what the rules say. If you had EVIDENCE that the scooter was sold to you by a specific individual, you should have given the proof to the police, who should investigate and possibly press charges against the perpetrator.

Keep in mind also that in many jurisdictions there are laws against possessing stolen goods.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
When you buy a used car here, it's necessary to get a report from the police before you can register it.

Does this apply to motorcycles also, can you request the same clearance for a motorcycle?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
How can you tell if the bike is legal? I bought a pasola a few years back and when I went to get the new placa two policemen turned up and said that the pasola had been stolen and would I give them the keys. I had a title but they said that it was forged. The rules are that you go back to the person who sold it to you and get your money back. Fat chance - they had spent the money and had no money and their family wanted to hurt me badly if I slandered their good name.

If you want to buy the bike legally than the seller must follow these steps:

Provide a police report saying the bike has no legal problems
Provide a sales contract which both of you sign and date
Provide a title for the bike
You need proof of insurance
Your Cedular or Passport
Go to motor vehicle to get the title and registration completed

If you buy it for cash without doing the above you will be driving illegally should you have an accident or want to sell the bike at some point. Good luck.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Go with your Title to DGII and check with them, they will tell you if the Title it's fake, if the person you bought it from was the real owner.
I'm pretty sure, police is just trying to rob you, Or maybe the owner you bought it from reported it stolen to get it back.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
When you buy a used car here, it's necessary to get a report from the police before you can register it.

Does this apply to motorcycles also, can you request the same clearance for a motorcycle?

Can you tell me where in Santiago do you go?

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
So the Dominican came round with bike for sale. It was all smashed up. I have never seen a bike in such bad condition. It was the clutchless type. He said all I need to do is buy the fiberglass panels. I thought I would take it for a ride and as I was wheeling it to the road I put the front brake on. Absolutely no front brake. I sat on and tried the rear brake. It had been bent under the footrest and I could just access it with the heel of my shoe. The engine ran well and the gearbox worked. Speedo had a hole smashed into it like from a hammer. I felt that I was expected to get some speed up and then get into trouble at the end of the road when I tried to stop.
So I called a gringo selling a 125 street bike in Luperon. Everything worked. Full tank of fuel. He found some chain guards, lubricated the new chain. Speedo and tacho work. I felt safe all the way back to Santiago. (That is in terms of not breaking down)
It has both mirrors and all the lights work. I paid 3000 pesos more for this than the Dominican was asking for his trash.