ambulance service

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi
I'm curious about the system.
In the following circumstance....what will happen?

1/car accident occurs
2/ambulance called, treats and takes occupants (foreign or local) to a hospital

Questions
Who decides what hospital the injured will be taken too?
How does the ambulance know if the injured occupants; will or can pay for the already provided ambulance service?

I am assuming the ambulance service is private and will deliver patients to the closest most suitable hospital.
A hospital the ambulance may or may not be affiliated with.
Still my question remains; who pays the ambulance?
Does the ambulance bill the hospital and the hospital in turn then bills any insurer.
Curious

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't worry, by the time an ambulance arrived you would die of old age if the accident did not kill you.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I can't answer for the whole country but when I was shot there were no ambulances in the vicinity. I was taken to hospital some 11 kms away on a motorbike and then a car. The hospital would not treat me unless they knew I could pay and I was in no position to tell them, but Dominican friends said I could. I needed to be transferred by ambulance to the capital and there were none available in San Pedro. Eventually after a few hours, the Red Cross ambulance was found, but my family had to pay to fill it with diesel, and a car had to drive in front as it had no lights. The ambulance had to be paid on arrival at Plaza de la Salud in the capital and even though the hospital had proof of insurance, they wanted a RD$30,000 payment deposit. There is a cash point machine outside the ER for that purpose. I have no idea if the 911 service is different.

Matilda

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
My car insurance card from Ban Reservas says "Cubre Aero Ambulancia", although I harbor serious doubts that they'll send a chopper to pick me up, - for the $200 a year that I pay them.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi

1/car accident occurs

Questions
How does the ambulance know if the injured occupants; will or can pay for the already provided ambulance service?

I am assuming the ambulance service is private and will deliver patients to the closest most suitable hospital.
Does the ambulance bill the hospital and the hospital in turn then bills any insurer.
Curious

with. Regards to. Calling the ambulance in cabarete. I.e servimed???
Can someone explain what number you call...is it servimeds. Number, 911, o 800 wegotnoidea?????

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi

1/car accident occurs

Questions

Curious

With regards to calling the ambulance in cabarete. I.e servimed???
Can someone explain what number you call...is it servimeds number, 911, o 800 wegotnoidea?????

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Its a risky business then...you pick someone up and tale them to the hospital hoping they are well enough to use the atm. To pay 'you' the ambulance or hospital.
This is a horrendous business model and doesnt make sense

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are hurt in an accident take any means to get to where medical help is available. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN AMBULANCE OR ANYTHING ELSE.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
With regards to calling the ambulance in cabarete. I.e servimed???
Can someone explain what number you call...is it servimeds number, 911, o 800 wegotnoidea?????

To my knowledge 911 does not yet serve the north coast. In Punta Cana, if you have insurance or can afford the service, you call Hospiten or Centro Medico Punta Cana and either they send you the ambulance or call the third-party company they use. They then bill you or your insurance company. The local firefighters also have an ambulance which they'll send but might request money for gas as their budget is very limited. If the injured can talk, they'll try to determine if the persona has insurance and take him/her to the nearest clinic. If not, they'll take the person to the nearest clinic to be stabilized (life saving first aid only) and then the person will probably end up in the public hospital in Higuey.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
I can't answer for the whole country but when I was shot there were no ambulances in the vicinity. I was taken to hospital some 11 kms away on a motorbike and then a car. The hospital would not treat me unless they knew I could pay and I was in no position to tell them, but Dominican friends said I could. I needed to be transferred by ambulance to the capital and there were none available in San Pedro. Eventually after a few hours, the Red Cross ambulance was found, but my family had to pay to fill it with diesel, and a car had to drive in front as it had no lights. The ambulance had to be paid on arrival at Plaza de la Salud in the capital and even though the hospital had proof of insurance, they wanted a RD$30,000 payment deposit. There is a cash point machine outside the ER for that purpose. I have no idea if the 911 service is different.

Matilda

Hi matilda
Sorry to hear of your injury thanks. For your response..it was very infprmative.
im. Curious...what did the ambulance portion cost you...you can Pm me f you Wish????

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its the DR. You get there the quickest way possible, no waiting. If you are unconscious or dead you will be robbed of all your valuables. Just how things are here. People are very poor. I make every effort not to get hurt. Go slow, dont get too drunk, drive a large vehicle, wear seat belt. Notice I left out try to avoid an accident. If you drive here its not8 if but when you are in a wreck. Do much driving its inevitable. A few will claim lots of driving and no wrecks. Then are either lying or when is still coming. Just the reality.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i spoke to a doctora from one of the public hospitals in SD. she laughed that among doctors 911 ambulance is called "taxi de los pobres". why? because folks who used to come to the hospital on their own, with various minor injuries like broken leg now call 911 and arrive to the hospital in an ambulance (free of charge). so i guess it does work.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hi matilda
Sorry to hear of your injury thanks. For your response..it was very infprmative.
im. Curious...what did the ambulance portion cost you...you can Pm me f you Wish????

From memory RD$40,000 from San Pedro de Macoris to the capital, plus the cost of diesel, and the oxygen cylinder ran out as we drove through the hospital gate (I was being bagged with oxygen). Then RD$65,000 for emergency tracheotomy at the San Pedro clinic, which they did in wrong place and cut vocal chords, and around RD$750,000 for 12 days in Plaza de la Salud.

Matilda

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
From memory RD$40,000 from San Pedro de Macoris to the capital, plus the cost of diesel, and the oxygen cylinder ran out as we drove through the hospital gate (I was being bagged with oxygen). Then RD$65,000 for emergency tracheotomy at the San Pedro clinic, which they did in wrong place and cut vocal chords, and around RD$750,000 for 12 days in Plaza de la Salud.

Matilda
hi
thanks for the reply. Again.
jesus. Christ. I can accept most of these costs. Except 750k. Rd.......$20-30k us dollars at a guess. Or 1600-2500us a day. I smell bull**** or price gouging.
the cost of medical care currently, at least in my work place is for mental hospitals. $700us a day.....medical $1000us. Per day