Protect yourself from a Hacked ATM.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/whos-behind-bluetooth-skimming-in-mexico/comment-page-1/

"...In June 2015, I heard from a source at an ATM firm who wanted advice and help in reaching out to the right people about what he described as an ongoing ATM fraud campaign of unprecedented sophistication, organization and breadth. Given my focus on ATM skimming technology and innovations, I was immediately interested.

My source asked to have his name and that of his employer omitted from the story because he fears potential reprisals from the alleged organized criminal perpetrators of this scam. According to my source, several of his employer?s ATM installation and maintenance technicians in the Cancun area reported recently being approached by men with Eastern European accents, asking each tech if he would be interested in making more than 100 times his monthly salary just for providing direct, physical access to the inside of a single ATM that the technician served.

One of my source?s co-workers was later found to have accepted the bribes, which apparently had only grown larger and more aggressive after technicians in charge of specific, very busy ATMs declined an initial offer.

My source said his company fired the rogue employee who?d taken the bait, but that the employee?s actions had still been useful because experts were now able to examine the skimming technology first-hand. The company tested the hardware by installing it into ATMs that were not in service. When they turned the devices on, they discovered each component was beaconing out the same Bluetooth signal: ?Free2Move.?"

It is worth reading the entire series of articles. From now on, I will scan for WiFi and Bluetooth signals before using any ATM. You can't trust many people these days solely on faith, even if the institution is trying to be honest. It only takes one person to rip up off.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Its no secret Russians, Bulgarians and Ukrainians have been doing this for about 10 years now in south east Asia. As the
local authorities over there have finally started to crack down on these types of crimes with the help of US authorities, its
only a matter of time before we start seeing more of this in places like the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's been done here for many years.
Happened to me 3 times.
I never use my USA cards here anymore, just my Banreserves.
Gas stations are the worst!!!!!!!!
Restaurants second.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
only got me one time. Good old USA bank made it good the next day. Theft traced to New Delhi, India of all places.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I started reading the article but the author lost me here:

"Several of my source’s employees later identified the men who approached them after managing to locate their profile pages on Whatsapp, a popular mobile messaging service."

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I started reading the article but the author lost me here:

"Several of my source?s employees later identified the men who approached them after managing to locate their profile pages on Whatsapp, a popular mobile messaging service."

They like exchange phone numbers, and subscribe to the Whatsapp service. If they are on that service, and place their number in the contacts list. A profile is accessible. Most people place their photo and information in their profile.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
They like exchange phone numbers, and subscribe to the Whatsapp service. If they are on that service, and place their number in the contacts list. A profile is accessible. Most people place their photo and information in their profile.

What I meant is that I stopped reading, when he started explaining what whatsapp is.

Jul 28, 2014
What you also need to check, is where you insert your card, grab onto the plastic housing and pull, sometimes they slip a card reader over top that's moulded to fit, and you wouldn't know unless you inspected/grabbed onto to it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Read in the news that a new trick is using infrared cameras to 'read' the warmth of the keys after you used it since the keys you touched will be warmer than those you didn't. Covering the keypad isn't enough, better touch more keys than needed as well.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Here in Santiago you can use a debit card almost everywhere....if you need cash go into the Bank