Acrid smog from fire at landfill

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
http://www.listindiario.com/la-republica/2016/01/19/404464/incendio-en-duquesa-no-afecta-operaciones

The acrid smog from the fire at the landfill dump in Santo Domingo was very unpleasant waking up this morning in the National District.

I am in Bella Vista and it was bad smog loaded with burnt plastic type smells and quite thick. Thankfully a breeze is now making things better.

Dealing with our waste products is a major problem for most cities and especially those in the developing world. At least they collect the rubbish regularly where I am unlike what I have seen in photographs of Santiago. They just need to manage the disposal in land fill much better here.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yesterday it was much worse than today. They say it was an accidental fire but I wonder if they just needed to make space instead.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It stinks since two days even here in Miramar, 200 meters from the ocean. Yesterday was worse and that much fog we couldn't even see the highrises in Mirador Sur around 600 meters from here...

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
We need some strong breezes ..it seems it worse in areas just off the coast . It is a real priority but what can any government do here. when we need better hospitals, more garbage trucks , better trained teachers and better sewerage desposal and better garbage disposal and yet we are a poor country with limited funds . The priority seems to have been on roads and better Zonas Franca but in all areas we are starting from so far behind because of previous inactivity.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It is a real priority but what can any government do here.........and yet we are a poor country with limited funds . The priority seems to have been on.......

Debates in themselves.

Government is 'big government' in DR. A large employer that under delivers everywhere (without mention of the C word). Start there.

Don't kill your population with garbage rotting on the streets giving rise to disease nor burn waste and release carcinogens into the air because they are equally important priorities for government to the other points mentioned. So with 'big government' start asking questions who allowed this to happen and fire them.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yesterday it was much worse than today. They say it was an accidental fire but I wonder if they just needed to make space instead.

Of course it was "accidental". When was the last time you heard anyone from this government stand up and say "yes,
it was all my fault" ???

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In today's DR1 News:
Landfill fire still burning
On Sunday evening, 17 January 2016 a fire broke out at the Duquesa landfill site and on Monday afternoon the fire was still covering part of Santo Domingo in a layer of smoke.
According to Roberto del Castillo, public relations officer for the Lajun company, which manages the site, the fire started in an area that has not been used for two years.
He said that the fire was started by people looking for tires, and burning them to take the wire out inside. The offenders have not yet been identified and so far no one has been arrested.
He said that the fire had not affected the garbage collection company's daily routine.
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/01/18/prenden-fuego-area-duquesa

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Because the DR is still a 3rd world country (dont let the malls fool you) you can expect the government has zero interest in keeping the country clean or have proper waste disposal. Disease and death are expected in these 3rd world countries and openly burning garbage is one of the normal events. People here have no right to complain about this as most literally throw their garbage on the street or out their car window anyway. Very sad how how the word patriotic is defined here. Go for a walk along the beautiful Malecon in SD. https://youtu.be/hJ8vbQrjmIE