How does one cure a Dominican from Doctors?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm sure many foreign men with Dominican wives and children will know where this is coming from. And that is the unswerving belief and respect that Dominicans have for anyone wearing a white coat and a stethoscope around their neck and whatever they say, is the absolute undeniable truth!

My experience of the medical profession is this country is that most doctors are inept, unqualified, money grabbing businessmen/women, who have never heard of the hypocratic oath. They prey on peoples fears and tell lies in order to frighten people to obey their orders and make money.

This afternoon, my 4 year old son developed a fever and vomited his lunch. Immediately my wife wanted to take him to the pediatrician. I was not in a position to argue as I was working, although she does know my feelings about Dominican doctors. The quack takes a quick look at him and tells the wife it's dengue! I'm informed and I spell out strict instructions that under no circumstances is he to be admitted into hospital.

When I get home from work, he is given infant acetaminophen, plenty to drink and a light snack. Next thing you know, he is running around playing with his sister! Dengue my arse!

This was no public, free clinic, but the Gregorio Hernandez clinic in POP that accepts our Palic insurance.

And as for local insurance, well that's a whole other story. Why they make it so difficult to pay the premium is beyond me! You can't pay online, you can't pay with a debit card, you can't pay with a direct debit from a Dominican bank account, but you can pay with a credit card. Except that my bank decided to cancel my credit card due to a suspicious fraud attempt (without telling me). This consequently meant that my monthly payment to the insurance company didn't go through and the insurance was suspended (without telling me)!

Sometimes this banana republic gets the better of you, no matter how prepared you think you are!

Rant over....for now!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my first advice is never to go to clinica gregorio hernandez.
my second advice is to have a stiff drink for you are facing a battle you cannot win. i just got bitten by a tiny mouse i was taking out of the house (i know, i know) and miesposo is talking about taking me to the hospital for rabies injections. :cross-eye

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
my first advice is never to go to clinica gregorio hernandez.
my second advice is to have a stiff drink for you are facing a battle you cannot win. i just got bitten by a tiny mouse i was taking out of the house (i know, i know) and miesposo is talking about taking me to the hospital for rabies injections. :cross-eye

Was the mouse frothing at the mouth?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the mouse was fut as fcuk (pregnant, i suppose). clean. cute. bites are about the size of a needle prick. washed with alcohol.

how about your kid?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
yawn.jpg

Last warning before your account is erased.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am not upset with your rant however we pay our premium directly through our BHD account without any issues. I also have a decent Doctor that speak English. My wife has an excellent doctor at Union medical and last visit he never even charged her.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
the mouse was fut as fcuk (pregnant, i suppose). clean. cute. bites are about the size of a needle prick. washed with alcohol.

how about your kid?

He's gonna be fine thanks DV8. No more fever and sleeping soundly. So much for the dengue diagnosis! If it was up to that stupid doctor he would be in hospital with all sorts of needles in him and most certainly likely to catch something really nasty.

If your mouse was pregnant, then probably healthy. Nothing to worry about as long as your tetanus shots are up-to-date.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It happens, wherever you are.

Last year, I went to see a doctor for sinus pressure, thought I had an infection.

She said no, bad allergies, and that I'd need to take claritin basically forever.

Two weeks later, saw a different doctor for the same problem. Oddly enough, a sinus infection. Quick round of antibiotics later, I was just fine. The claritin continues to collect dust on my shelf.

That said, the USA is not the mostest horriblest country ever.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Beeza I am glad your child is better. I myself have been on that confusing end of "what is actually wrong". Virgo with all due respect...you seem to take issue with much that is posted, this thread and others. Maybe this is not the forum for you. DR1 members are very supportive of the DR however at times a bit of venting is necessary. We all put our adult pants and/or panties on and accept the good with the bad. Let the OP vent....

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Beeza I am glad your child is better. I myself have been on that confusing end of "what is actually wrong". Virgo with all due respect...you seem to take issue with much that is posted, this thread and others. Maybe this is not the forum for you. DR1 members are very supportive of the DR however at times a bit of venting is necessary. We all put our adult pants and/or panties on and accept the good with the bad. Let the OP vent....

Let's just call them big boy/big girl pants. Girls don't really like the word "panties." It's sort of demeaning. We wear pants. On the outside. Some of us....

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
There you go again. It is about the country or a developing country.
A reasonable person would simply focus on the REAL problem you have described: YOU have apparently chosen bad doctors (according to your account). But instead of asking for recommendations of GOOD doctors, you just decide it is a 'country problem'.

Because of your biased/ethnicitist approach you and your family will continue to deal with (according to you) bad doctors.

Very immature. VERY VERY BAD.

That's the first time a Dominican has ever called me immature. Do you know what an oxymoron is?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Of course..panties is a bit "private". As a female I should have known...lol.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I completely and respectfully disagree.

I am not a white man with a Dominican family. I am an American woman of a certain age who lived here 30 years ago and elected to return 4 years ago. I live in Sosua. Check my blog, "And Now A Few Words From Meemselle" to learn of my successful encounters with the health care system (for foreigners) in this country. I am lucky to be alive.

TRUST ME....local health care has significantly improved.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Of course..panties is a bit "private". As a female I should have known...lol.

Continuing to demean. It's not that "panties" are private. It's just like, why do youse get to have "pants" and we have to have "panties?" It covers the same junk.....

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Virgo with all due respect...you seem to take issue with much that is posted, this thread and others. Maybe this is not the forum for you. DR1 members are very supportive of the DR however at times a bit of venting is necessary.
I take issue with your "nationalizing" a little or big problem (with a specific person, or specific group of people, or specific business) to turn it into a pretext to BASH the country YOU CHOSE to live in, and its people.

Learn to separate one thing from the other.

Do you bash your own country every time you encounter a problem with a landlord, store, business, etc in your own country? Probably not. You know that it is a problem with a SPECIFIC person, business, firm, or institution, which often is not even a government entity. Why can't you also understand the same where you now live?

And if you are indeed convinced that YOU CHOSE to live in the wrong place, simply cut your losses and move on. There are about 200 countries in this planet. Why to spend the rest of your life paying for the consequences of YOUR bad choice?

KITTU

May 13, 2015
I'm sure many foreign men with Dominican wives and children will know where this is coming from. And that is the unswerving belief and respect that Dominicans have for anyone wearing a white coat and a stethoscope around their neck and whatever they say, is the absolute undeniable truth!

My experience of the medical profession is this country is that most doctors are inept, unqualified, money grabbing businessmen/women, who have never heard of the hypocratic oath. They prey on peoples fears and tell lies in order to frighten people to obey their orders and make money.

This afternoon, my 4 year old son developed a fever and vomited his lunch. Immediately my wife wanted to take him to the pediatrician. I was not in a position to argue as I was working, although she does know my feelings about Dominican doctors. The quack takes a quick look at him and tells the wife it's dengue! I'm informed and I spell out strict instructions that under no circumstances is he to be admitted into hospital.

When I get home from work, he is given infant acetaminophen, plenty to drink and a light snack. Next thing you know, he is running around playing with his sister! Dengue my arse!

This was no public, free clinic, but the Gregorio Hernandez clinic in POP that accepts our Palic insurance.

And as for local insurance, well that's a whole other story. Why they make it so difficult to pay the premium is beyond me! You can't pay online, you can't pay with a debit card, you can't pay with a direct debit from a Dominican bank account, but you can pay with a credit card. Except that my bank decided to cancel my credit card due to a suspicious fraud attempt (without telling me). This consequently meant that my monthly payment to the insurance company didn't go through and the insurance was suspended (without telling me)!

Sometimes this banana republic gets the better of you, no matter how prepared you think you are!

Rant over....for now!

I have to tell you that the Centre Medico Punta Cana sucks to the core. Completely unorganized, unprofessional, Dumb and stupid. Including the Head of the department. Will never go to that messed up place again.I told my wife that if ever we have kids, then it has to be back in spain.
I know someone who lost their leg here and it's a complete mistake of the medical system. Recently one of our family member passed away due to excess dosage of medecines but no proof so i cannot say anything. .
Most IMPORTANT is that the whole medical system is just money making. I haven't actually seen a real doctor for 'ever' Be it in India(my best friend passed away cos of an accident, the same day but doctors at the prestigious Apollo Hospitals in India told there are chances of survival and kept his dead body under fake pretences for fourteen day,apparently giving him blood etc and later pronounced him dead but charged the family for fourteen days. So disgusting and greedy is sometimes the profession of doctors). Switzerland ( famous hospitals like HUG and CHUV lack personal and a short of staff and short of blood. In emergency you can wait upto six hours and pay for the waiting time thanks to the insurance )and Here. People nowadays study medicine just because they can play with emotions and fear and make money. Last 15 years and few encounters with doctors, i haven't seen one professional who knows to help with his heart. Also saying this because i have a doctor friend in Europe who is a gynecologist and owns a private plane and a yacht and other luxuries. So do not worry about Dominican republic medical system. The medical system in the whole world is 'diarrehea'.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Beeza, it is of great interest to me to read your comments. I cannot imagine how scary it must have been to have had a small child so ill, and to feel as if the people who were supposed to be helping were not. I hope that your son is better, and a refuah sh'leimah for a complete healing.

However, my experience with RD health care has been so positive, and I have had two life-threatening experiences in the 4 years since I have returned. Once was as the result of amoebas, and the other was when I was hit by a concho and broke both my legs, my foot, and had a flesh wound that turned necrotic. It was very scary. But -- and I know there are differences of opinion on this -- CMC in Sosua worked out very well for me. When I went back to my bone guy in CT to check up on the two broken legs, he told me he would not have done anything differently than the medicos did here. So that was reassuring.

Sorry that your experience was so horrific. Hope you and your family will be returned to good and robust health! The 2.5 World can certainly kick the S**t out of you!