Does Amazon Fire TV Stick work in DR?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thinking about this one to stream my Netflix content to the big screen. Heard it won't work here but I believe with VPN / unotelly it should or?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Could be wrong but Netflix/streamer is device driven. The whole purpose is to be able to watch wherever and whenever.
If home country is usa for example, create a usa based account. When I travel abroad with laptop, I don't have a problem
watching netflix. I have not taken my Roku box though. No issue with my tablet either.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I have Netflix LATAM and can watch other versions using unotelly (recommended by Mauricio). I want to be able to view Netflix on TV not only on PC and / or iphone.
So I'll need a streaming device. There are the firestick from amazon, chromecast and Roku. I shop on Amazon. Amazon does not sell the chromecast yet Roku and firestick. I would prefer the Amazon firestick but need verification that it would work here...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hmm. Android. I mentioned I am looking for PC... srry... And Kodi is a media server not a media streaming application i.e. it looks for streaming links and plays them on your device (if the found link is still alive...). It does NOT stream content to a TV or such. I'll stick with Netflix.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Hmm. Android. I mentioned I am looking for PC... srry... And Kodi is a media server not a media streaming application i.e. it looks for streaming links and plays them on your device (if the found link is still alive...). It does NOT stream content to a TV or such. I'll stick with Netflix.

You can run on Windows also-

https://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-windows/

You can easily play the content from Kodi on any TV by casting your screen through Miracast.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23991606952609911

DL link does not work... its down.

Miracast is a standard used in Roku and other dongles.

http://www.howtogeek.com/200796/what-is-miracast-and-why-should-i-care/

"Amazon’s Fire OS is built on top of Android, so it also supports Miracast." "Miracast Problem 1: It’s Only Screen Mirroring" - "Miracast Problem 2: It’s Unreliable and Often Doesn’t Work" "MIracast is nice in theory, but it’s also just a wireless HDMI cable. In many situations, you’re often just better off plugging in an HDMI cable rather than dealing with the potential connection problems and streaming glitches.

A new generation of Miracast receivers and Miracast-capable operating systems could potentially solve these problems and turn MIracast into a standard that works well. We can only hope that will happen."

So we are back to my initial question... Roku or Firestick to stream my Netflix to TV...? ;)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Also it is not about how to see what or if it is free or paid (Netflix). My question is about how to get Netflix content streamed to TV.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Thinking about this one to stream my Netflix content to the big screen. Heard it won't work here but I believe with VPN / unotelly it should or?

I use Fire Stick in my house without any VPN, I can not access Amazon Content, but I use it for Netflix and Streaming with other software, I have tried getting US Netflix with a VPN, and it works also.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thank you! Will buy and try it. When it does work for Netflix here that is all I need and who knows maybe I can figure it out for Amazon too one day (I am Amazon Prime member, still looking for a way to use the video part of it here in DR)...

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Thank you! Will buy and try it. When it does work for Netflix here that is all I need and who knows maybe I can figure it out for Amazon too one day (I am Amazon Prime member, still looking for a way to use the video part of it here in DR)...

I'm sure that the same VPN to have US Netflix you will have access to Amazon Prime Content like Amazon Video and others, I'm just not interested in Amazon content. But Netflix works flawlessly, I turned my old TV to a Smart TV for just 35USD$.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I just found it in the unotelly channel list. It works! I can watch the prime content / instant videos on amazon which I couldn't do before signing up with unotelly. :D