Food I miss from the DR

Honey

Jan 26, 2002
Hello...I've been away from the DR for 6 mths and although I never appreciated the culinary traditions of the place while I was there I'm finding myself missing certain foods...These are:

1. Queso de hoja - mmmm...especially good when bought directly from the quesero on the street (when it squeaks between your teeth).

2. Lambi - again, the squeak-factor.

3. Guandules - I can only find the canned version here (in Canada) and they are just yucky.

4. Mas Mas - what a good, cheap bar of chocolate. More, more...

Things I will not miss, no matter how long I stay away: asopao, mondongo, bofe...Well, I could go on and on.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
heartbroken

you don't miss me?....even a little?....boo hoo...how about tostones fried in the same grease and the meats were fried in..I have been looking for Guanabana (spelling?) for 25 years here in the US, to no avail....here in the suburbs of Boston, tonite I had a great Dominican simple meal: pollo sofrito con cebollas, ajo, aji...mangu hecho con red onions, butter and oil from the chicken, california hass aguacate...and of course, some Merlot...yumsterusky!!!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Oh, I miss los aguacates! Los aguacates que saben a mantequilla, as my husband says...Mmmm!

The avocados I buy here are expensive ($1.50 each) and crappy. They are full of black spots inside or they never ripen properly - very annoying.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Arroz y Habichuelas, I just can't seem to find a really good recipe. They always come out lacking...I accept recipes by email...also looking for a couple of good locrio recipes.

Papito

Jan 23, 2002
I feel for you

Honey,

There has got to be a Dominican resturant in Canada!! If you ever drop by Florida... I will point you to some good old fashion Dominican cooking. :)

Papito

Honey

Jan 26, 2002
So sweet...

Actually, Papito, there is one great Dominican restaurant here called 'Sos?a' - but they don't have queso de hoja OR lamb?...The last time I went he didn't even have bacalao on the menu (another favourite) but said he would try to get some. Pero el tipo tiene buen sazon....o sea, cocina rico!

Hee hee - sorry, mondongo, you're not on my list of favourites...Now, if you're name was 'albondiga'....

Last edited:

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
Dominican restaurant in TO

I have found a pretty decent Dominican restaurant in Toronto. It's on St. Clair and Dufferin if anyone is interested. It's acutally called the friendly Dominican, and there's even a cutie Dominican host/waiter right from the DR ;). I can't say the food is like you're back in the DR, the tostones are not quite the same...perhaps because they don't refry them in the same oil as they fried the meat..LOL. And they don't have lambi :( it doesn't do well there...I asked. But they have the typical pollo con arroz y habichuelas and their other seafood is pretty good.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
warm...muggy...day

I guess that could be just about every day....take out a cool, skinned coconut.....slice off its top with a sharpened machete....and gorge yourself with that coconut juice.....yumm...i can taste it right now...then crack open the coconut and scrape off some of the meat (unless its too tough)....but do it all quitely, though, since everyone else is still on their mid-day nap...this time of the day was my favorite...it seemed like the whole neighborhood was gone

sincerely,
albonndiga

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
A list of favorite delicacies

Dominican delicacies and fruits that few have tried:

1)Algarrobo(aka Mierda 'e cajeta) It really looks like it
2)Lerenes(served during christmas boiled-crispy potatolike)
3)Jobo(Fruit for the pigs.Most underestimated fruit.Sweet)
4)Asopao de Camarones(Soupy rice with shrimp enchilada)
5)Arenque con Cazabe(salty)
6)Ensalada de Molondron(very slimy but healthy)
7)Bu?uelos(donut type sweet- delicious in a syrup)
8)Dulce de Ajonjoli(you have to try it to describe it)
9)Picadillo de Lambi(afrodisiac?)
10)Buen Pan sancochado(Rare vegetable boiled)

TW

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I thought arenque was the afrodisiac...My neighbor, Minerva, was always making arenque for her husband, el viejo Tat?....

Hey, golo, what about 'pico y pala'?

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
oh no!!!

no TW, please, not molondron!!!.....i thought i had purged that vision from my memory banks.....even a mondongo runs away from molondron...

Honey

Jan 26, 2002
Slimylicious

No, I love molondrones, even if they're a bit slimy. I even buy them frozen here...

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Mondongo

You just gave me an idea!!! This is a new plate:

Asopao de Mondongo con Molondrones. How about that?

TW

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
asopao de molondrones..

yikes....brings back some college memories....3 AM saturday...kneeling....arms spread, encircling the toilet seat....head between arms, nose barely 2 inches above toilet water...my own private sanitorium!!!