Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cruising from Amber Cove POP

Is it possible to start a cruise at Amber Cove with any of the Carriers to travel to the United States?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j&t's future View Post
    Is it possible to start a cruise at Amber Cove with any of the Carriers to travel to the United States?
    well, anything is possible, but the logistics would render it impracticable.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

amber cove is only a port of call, no cruises leave from there.

4. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    amber cove is only a port of call, no cruises leave from there.
    St. Maarten is a port.of call as is St. Thomas, and people disembark from there on cruise ships that go to Miami area regularly.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the question is that if you find a cruise which starts in, for example, Barbados and has a stop at Amber Cove and then goes on to Miami, could you book just from Amber Cove to Miami. The answer should be yes. You have to pay for the whole cruise, but you can arrange to join mid-way (or leave mid-way). You do this either direct with the cruise company or with your travel agent. I cruise a lot and frequently join or leave part-way. Just be warned, you will not get a discount for the days you are not onboard, you have to pay for the full cruise. As there normally isn't any limit on bags, it can be a cheap way to move a lot of stuff.

7. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cruising from Amber Cove POP

There is also likely a question of whether the Dominican Republic has immigration officers stationed at the port to process people leaving the country and/or disembarking to stay more than a few hours... and of course the cruise lines need to have the facilities, people and procedures in place to process check-ins and departures, porters to handle baggage, etc etc.

Anyone that has taken a cruise knows that there is additional infrastructure and employees needed on land to process arriving and departing passengers. It can be done, obviously, and I hope one day it is.

One issue may be that not enough local potential passengers (Dominicans) possess the visas necessary to visit all of the countries or any of the countries on an itinerary. The cost of installing facilities and employees to handle a minimal number of passengers may not be worth it... Especially if cruises are already close to 100% booked when leaving from a U.S. port.
    Last edited by CFA123; 01-23-2016 at 08:20 AM.

9. Likes Buzzard liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe to all of the above but departing from amber cove is not possible now.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as the immigration infrastructure is there then it is possible. Whether the cruise lines have set up the availability to embark from Amber Cove I do not know, but coming from an expert that knows just about everything regarding cruise ships having worked on them for 5 years, you can embark from just about any port in the world. When we used to visit Isla Catalina off the coast of La Romana we even had new passengers embark....as I said, it all depends on the set up.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used a cruise ship to return to Europe....I disembarked in Gibraltar. I boarded the ship in La Romana. They had an immigration lady there but I have permanent residency so had no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cruising from Amber Cove POP Your Message

It is not a cruiseport. Is a single (may be technical) stop port then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast