Cruising from Amber Cove POP

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Is it possible to start a cruise at Amber Cove with any of the Carriers to travel to the United States?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
amber cove is only a port of call, no cruises leave from there.

St. Maarten is a port.of call as is St. Thomas, and people disembark from there on cruise ships that go to Miami area regularly.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think the question is that if you find a cruise which starts in, for example, Barbados and has a stop at Amber Cove and then goes on to Miami, could you book just from Amber Cove to Miami. The answer should be yes. You have to pay for the whole cruise, but you can arrange to join mid-way (or leave mid-way). You do this either direct with the cruise company or with your travel agent. I cruise a lot and frequently join or leave part-way. Just be warned, you will not get a discount for the days you are not onboard, you have to pay for the full cruise. As there normally isn't any limit on bags, it can be a cheap way to move a lot of stuff.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
There is also likely a question of whether the Dominican Republic has immigration officers stationed at the port to process people leaving the country and/or disembarking to stay more than a few hours... and of course the cruise lines need to have the facilities, people and procedures in place to process check-ins and departures, porters to handle baggage, etc etc.

Anyone that has taken a cruise knows that there is additional infrastructure and employees needed on land to process arriving and departing passengers. It can be done, obviously, and I hope one day it is.

One issue may be that not enough local potential passengers (Dominicans) possess the visas necessary to visit all of the countries or any of the countries on an itinerary. The cost of installing facilities and employees to handle a minimal number of passengers may not be worth it... Especially if cruises are already close to 100% booked when leaving from a U.S. port.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe to all of the above but departing from amber cove is not possible now.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
As long as the immigration infrastructure is there then it is possible. Whether the cruise lines have set up the availability to embark from Amber Cove I do not know, but coming from an expert that knows just about everything regarding cruise ships having worked on them for 5 years, you can embark from just about any port in the world. When we used to visit Isla Catalina off the coast of La Romana we even had new passengers embark....as I said, it all depends on the set up.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I have used a cruise ship to return to Europe....I disembarked in Gibraltar. I boarded the ship in La Romana. They had an immigration lady there but I have permanent residency so had no problems.

LONGOF

Jul 29, 2010
Cruising from Amber Cove POP Your Message

It is not a cruiseport. Is a single (may be technical) stop port then. :mad: :alien::cry::angry::disappoin:hurt:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I saw an ad in the news paper last week for several cruise ships departing the DR this summer. They stated you need a visa for the stops it will make.
Not sure where they depart from.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
There is also likely a question of whether the Dominican Republic has immigration officers stationed at the port to process people leaving the country and/or disembarking to stay more than a few hours... and of course the cruise lines need to have the facilities, people and procedures in place to process check-ins and departures, porters to handle baggage, etc etc.

Anyone that has taken a cruise knows that there is additional infrastructure and employees needed on land to process arriving and departing passengers. It can be done, obviously, and I hope one day it is.

One issue may be that not enough local potential passengers (Dominicans) possess the visas necessary to visit all of the countries or any of the countries on an itinerary. The cost of installing facilities and employees to handle a minimal number of passengers may not be worth it... Especially if cruises are already close to 100% booked when leaving from a U.S. port.

Every passenger who gets off the ship has to go through immigration when getting back on the ship.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Every passenger who gets off the ship has to go through immigration when getting back on the ship.

I didn't experience that in Europe, and the cruise went outside the Schengen countries to Turkey and Croatia. Perhaps here it is different.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

i am not too sure about that. I have been to almost every island in caribbean in the past 3 cruises and I have yet to show my passport to anyone. I doubt if dominican repubic will have a passport control at the port for incoming tourists for a day.
AZB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I saw an ad in the news paper last week for several cruise ships departing the DR this summer. They stated you need a visa for the stops it will make.
Not sure where they depart from.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Stinky,
some cruises sail from the southeast of RD... as I recall.
Where's the port there?

They offered cruises and 'Yes' Dominicans needed visas if they intended to disembark.
I read this here, in fact.....DR1

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
i am not too sure about that. I have been to almost every island in caribbean in the past 3 cruises and I have yet to show my passport to anyone. I doubt if dominican repubic will have a passport control at the port for incoming tourists for a day.
AZB

OK, I have only been on 2 cruises and both times when we got back to the ship in the Bahamas and the other time Mexico and Grand Cayman we had to go thru an immigration check, been 20 years or so though!
Der Fish

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
OK, I have only been on 2 cruises and both times when we got back to the ship in the Bahamas and the other time Mexico and Grand Cayman we had to go thru an immigration check, been 20 years or so though!
Der Fish

not any more. I was in bahamas and cayman island + mexico. nothing is checked now. they only see your cruise boarding pass (the magnetic card for room key and to use it as credit card on the ship) to let you through the port security entrance and that's it.
AZB