A friend Need recommendations and advise in relocating to the DR

Lpelaez

Feb 2, 2003
www.leopelaez.com
My friend just found out that her boyfriend is being deported from Canada to the DR because his Visa expired.
She is planning in follow him and move to the DR and start teaching English to support herself and her boyfriend
in the DR.

My friend was born and raised in Canada and never lived aboard. I'm telling her that's not the best decision on
moving to the DR in that circumstance.

Please help with your advise and recommendations for her as she won't listen to me.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My friend just found out that her boyfriend is being deported from Canada to the DR because his Visa expired.
She is planning in follow him and move to the DR and start teaching English to support herself and her boyfriend
in the DR.

My friend was born and raised in Canada and never lived aboard. I'm telling her that's not the best decision on

Please help with your advise and recommendations for her as she won't listen to me.

Thanks.

wcizyq.gif

Leo, she will never earn enough to support herself, let along the 2 of them in a manner to which she is accustomed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
in the DR.

Thanks.

aww, jeez. and here she had a perfect opportunity to get rid of him.

she wants to come and work to support BOTH OF THEM.

that speaks volumes. i guess he is not exactly an aerospace technician, then.

forget the teaching. tell her to buy him a Chinese bike, and send him on the motoconcho trail. or, he can see if he can get back his job with the AI animation troupe.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I don't believe one word of this. There are thousands of Dominicans all over the world whose Visa expired and do not get deported. They know how to duck.

This is just someone looking for some free entertainment. And he or she will get a lot of it here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't believe one word of this. There are thousands of Dominicans all over the world whose Visa expired and do not get deported. They know how to duck.

This is just someone looking for some free entertainment. And he or she will get a lot of it here.

i beg to agree.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
in the DR.

Thanks.

She may not be able to get a job without residency. If she is planning on being in the DR indefinitely she will need to get all her documents together for her application. I would advise her to talk to the nearest Dominican Consulate in Canada to get the accurate info on relocating to the DR. Following him to the DR sight unseen is not going to end well.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Suggest her to have an open end round trip ticket. They usually good for up to 1 year. I am sure it will still be valid when she decides to go back. This way she will always have a chance to go back after she spends all her savings here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Suggest her to have an open end round trip ticket. They usually good for up to 1 year. I am sure it will still be valid when she decides to go back. This way she will always have a chance to go back after she spends all her savings here.

good advice. my money says that now that he has gone to Canada, and it did not work out, he will be long gone before she knows it.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
At one point I was offered a job teaching English for a total of 9700 pesos per month. He without her may be abkle to live on that, but not two of them for about $200.00 USD a month.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Exactly my initial thoughts; however, truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
my sister in law over stayed . I agree its fishy. they really do not make that big of an effort to find them

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
my sister in law over stayed . I agree its fishy. they really do not make that big of an effort to find them

They make NO EFFORT to find anyone that overstays a Visa. You just can't come back if you leave.

The old saying "There is a sucker born every minute" applies to this thread. Keep giving advice.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My daughter-in-law left the day her six months were up and came back 7 days later without problems and she has done this twice. Much smarter to leave within or at the allotted time.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Explain to her Dominicans can be tricky. Her boyfriend is scamming her. He is either telling half truths or a total lie.He wants her to pop the question or he wants to go back to DR to join his wife and kids.
There's is something he is not telling her and there something she is not telling you. Let her do what she wants. She is an adult.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
nothing fishy . 2 posts in 2003..

post numer one was to ask for advice as to whether or not she should marry sanky. post number two was to say she did not ask for anyone?s advice, and mind your own business, since she was in love with Joaquin.

now post number three.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
nothing fishy . 2 posts in 2003..

post numer one was to ask for advice as to whether or not she should marry sanky. post number two was to say she did not ask for anyone?s advice, and mind your own business, since she was in love with Joaquin.

now post number three.

You have me confused Gorgon, you must be reading the wrong "3" posts prior to this one.

Nothing you said in your post agrees with what Lpelaez posted in 2003 and 2008 or I'm the one reading wrong.

1st 2003 post:
Hello there...can anyone help me with little information about how and where to go.

I'm a US citizen and I need to get a Dominican cedula and driver license...where exactly do I need to go first here in Sto Dgo.
Both of my parents are Dominican and I know that's a big help...if anyone know please I need your help....

Thanks

Leo

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You have me confused Gorgon, you must be reading the wrong "3" posts prior to this one.

Nothing you said in your post agrees with what Lpelaez posted in 2003 and 2008 or I'm the one reading wrong.

1st 2003 post:

i am confused, too...i never knew what the original posts were all about until you posted them..

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its me I shut up and let her learn her own life lessons. No one acting this way is interested in your advice. Good luck to her and the kids that will soon be coming along.