Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The DR has been taken over (for those who did not know)

    In a very interesting article about the birds which are the symbol of each state in the United States, here

    http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/outdoo...-united-states

    the obviously highly knowledgable author points out:

    "Indeed, an official state bird represents every one of this country’s United States, including territories of the U.S. such as Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. "

    Does anyone know when we became a U.S. territory? And do many Americans believe this?

    Matilda

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    4,583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    In a very interesting article about the birds which are the symbol of each state in the United States, here

    http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/outdoo...-united-states

    the obviously highly knowledgable author points out:

    "Indeed, an official state bird represents every one of this country’s United States, including territories of the U.S. such as Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. "

    Does anyone know when we became a U.S. territory? And do many Americans believe this?

    Matilda
    THe US Senate voted no in 1870 to have San Domingo as part of the USA.

  3. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,436
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Never heard of the DR being a US territory.
    The article did say this : And it should be noted that the Dominican Republic’s national bird is the palmchat, a bird that resembles a brown thrasher but is more closely related to waxwings.

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    hahahaha most americans cannot even tell you where the DR is

  5. Likes zoomzx11, Rosss liked this post
  6. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,922
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If this were ever to be true---I'm off!
    Not the police state of the USA.

    Bye...

    (Mind you,perfectly true about most Americans ability to pick out countries on a map.Fortunately the USAF has a Google database for who to bomb next).


    But out of all the interesting,if few, species of birds, why pick such a boring one...

    I vote Hispaniola Parakeet or the beautiful and sleek Hispaniola Kestrel..

  7. Likes robbiee, KateP, Expat13, jstarebel liked this post
    Dislikes popeye, Buzzard, Timotero disliked this post
  8. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    11,917
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    In a very interesting article about the birds which are the symbol of each state in the United States, here

    http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/outdoo...-united-states

    the obviously highly knowledgable author points out:

    "Indeed, an official state bird represents every one of this country’s United States, including territories of the U.S. such as Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. "

    Does anyone know when we became a U.S. territory? And do many Americans believe this?

    Matilda
    The DR was a US territory back when they took over the administration and had a military governor take care of things.
    Funny thing is that it never conceded the administration back to a formal Gov in the DR, but a transitional administration.

    As far as I know we are still allowed to call the DR an independent country by the U.S...

    LoL
    One Dominican at a time please!


  9. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The national rodent is a ZIKAMOUSE !

  10. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
    The DR was a US territory back when they took over the administration and had a military governor take care of things.
    Funny thing is that it never conceded the administration back to a formal Gov in the DR, but a transitional administration.

    As far as I know we are still allowed to call the DR an independent country by the U.S...

    LoL
    Seriously Pichardo, where do you find this stuff.

    The DR has never been a US Territory as addressed by the Constitution.

    The only plausible explanation for your statement would be that the the DR was territory the US occupied at one time....but is not, nor ever has been, a US Territory.

    As Derfish points out above, there was a move by the DR to be annexed by the US.....but it never happened....as the US Senate questioned as fraudulent the vote that took place in the DR to be annexed.


    Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

  11. Likes Buzzard, Timotero liked this post
  12. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he finds it in the same place he finds e money for motoconchos and the DR gold standard.

  13. Likes Derfish liked this post
  14. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    he finds it in the same place he finds e money for motoconchos and the DR gold standard.
    also the metro feeder busses that they finally gave to OMSA. This was due to the busses setting idle for years, and being afraid of the country owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •