Dennys Restaurant in Santo Domingo / El Conde - many thumbs down

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Well thought i'd give the Dennys on the Conde a try...bad mistake...probably the worst meal I've had in the DR in a long time.

One would think it's hard to screw up eggs, ham and bacon but they sure did give it a good try. The grand slam breakfast was supposed to be Eggs, Bacon, ham, hashbrowns and pancakes.
About the only thing that was screwed up was the pancakes. Who ever heard of substituting mash potatoes for hash -browns? The sausage was obviously nuked for a few seconds and sent out - not even brown and cold inside. The bacon - so chewy couldn't swallow.

Obviously quality control does not apply to this chain restaurant. Never ever again will I visit this place.

take heed - maybe the other menu items are better but i highly doubt it.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Yep, on the Conde or at least the very end of same - It's on the corner of Isabela de Catolica and the Conde, the last block before Calle Las Damas.
About the only thing that was decent was the pancakes.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Yep, on the Conde or at least the very end of same - It's on the corner of Isabela de Catolica and the Conde, the last block before Calle Las Damas.
About the only thing that was decent was the pancakes.

This is probably the reason. The building belongs to the goverment. They let the College of Abagados [Which by the goverments own knolege is an illegal operation] have it for free. The Abagados rent out the botton half to Dennys and the Chu Chu train. This rent is cream for the President of the illegal operation of Abagados. If you had the Abagados over your head why serve good food. Dominican Abagados you can not get enough of them !

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
The Association of Abagados have a Brass plate on the corner of the building stating they are an autrhorized Association. The goverment does nothing about this eaven though the so called Association is illegal!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Although I avoid Denny's like the plague in the states I have eaten several times at the one in Naco (convenience sake) and have to say the food and especially the service were surprisingly good. Since I am not opposed to voicing a complaint when service is poor I gave equal play and made it a point to tell the Mgr. how impressed I was with the service. It isn't often here, even in many of the best restaurants that you have a waiter/waitress coming back to the table to re-check, see if you want more of your drink etc...... just my 2 cents. I am not happy to hear about a Denny's in the Zona.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you know I have to admit that the service there was excellent but the food stinx.

i was made to understand that corporate restaurants go to great lengths to make sure that the product quality was more or less equal in whichever country they operate. Kentucky chicken was supposed to taste the same in New York as it does in New Delhi.

well, if that is true, the DR nullifies that paradigm. i have never had food so foul as the burgers at Burger King in POP. i loved an occasional burger at BK in NYC, but i will never eat another BK in POP.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
After many times trying these different franchises here I made a policy to NEVER set foot in one again in the DR. Not only lousy food, but at twice the price you would pay in the US.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Had breakfast once at Denny's in Naco about a year ago.
Food and service was ok but definitely cheaper in the states.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I found the prices to be about the same. It's the damn 28% tax that makes it more

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You said the prices are twice as high, they are not. The tax is higher.

So what is your point? Do you like to pay at least 1/3 more for lousy food then by all means become a regular there. And I stand by what I said. Most of these franchise places here are double or close to it in price. And as for the tax, do you have to pay it? Yes.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
So what is your point? Do you like to pay at least 1/3 more for lousy food then by all means become a regular there. And I stand by what I said. Most of these franchise places here are double or close to it in price. And as for the tax, do you have to pay it? Yes.

My point is you made a false statments about the prices. I see you are easily angered so please don't respond to my messages. It's not that serious.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

Silly comment. I used to sell a 40,000 USD product into latam. In Brasil it would be $72,000. That was all brasilian taxes. Are you saying Denny's or any other US franchise should lose money so you pay the same as in the US? Silly.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Silly comment. I used to sell a 40,000 USD product into latam. In Brasil it would be $72,000. That was all brasilian taxes. Are you saying Denny's or any other US franchise should lose money so you pay the same as in the US? Silly.

All I ever said is that they charge a lot more than in the US and serve an inferior product.

For me I pass, you may feel different, no hard feelings at all.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
All I ever said is that they charge a lot more than in the US and serve an inferior product.

For me I pass, you may feel different, no hard feelings at all.

that cannot be denied. no amount of debate can change that reality. the product absolutely licks the wiggie, and it is way more expensive.

nomis

Jan 22, 2010
Denny's at the airport closed some time ago...last I saw. Just ate (again) at Denny's in Naco and it is great and it is open 24 hrs.
We've had breakfast and lunch there several times. It is always good, service always great. Worth every penny...I mean, peso.