You dont like cricket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
Hi all, when i was in the DR last, i was asking a local guy where i could play some sports. I said i like soccer, obviously, coming from England. He said tho, that the only game played is Baseball. And that i probably wouldnt get a game because most guys or teams dont like others playing. Is this true?
When i move to the DR, I would love to play some sport, its a big part of my life here, i play cricket, golf, soccer, tennis etc .
So my question is, how come cricket isnt a major sport in your country, seeing that you are in the carribean? Is soccer played anywhere? Has anyone tried to teach or intergrate these sports into society?
I know the reasons why baseball is big. But how would i go about getting into it. I'll try anything. Its only a poorer version of cricket anyway, and im good at that ! Are there leagues and teams that i could sign up for?
Do you have professional sports? Do they get well paid? What sports are taught in schools?

Help me out folks

Jay

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Cricket in DR? Hahahahaah
Even the americans have no idea what cricket is....isn't it that tiny little creature that makes so much noise to keep you up till 1am?
The west indies countries ( jamaica, trinidad/ tobago, barbedos etc) play cricket.
Good luck

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Being a former Spanish colony there was never the introduction of Cricket as there was in British colonies. Besides Dominicans couldn't sit still that long to watch a test match. I lived in Jamaica and I had a hard time staing awake at the matches.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jay: With the poor showing of the Windies lately, there isn't much enthusiasm for cricket here-hehehe. Actually, I do folow a bit of it vicariously thru an Aussie buddy of mine. We used to get the One Day Matches on Fox International but they switched channels on us.
Anyway, with all the corruption on the Pakistani and Indian sides i am not sure i really want to follow much....Not realy, just a jab at AZB
As for Association Football-I hate the word "soccer"- Yes there is live here. There is a series of club games, mostly in Santo Domingo and some in the Cibao-jarabacoa, Moca and La Vega. Santiago used to be a hotbed of f?tbol, but it died here in the late 70s. In fact there is a team over in Monte Llano, near Sosua! They are quite friendly and appreciate anyone that can handle a ball. Many foreigners play there and they participate in the tournaments.
Sports are not really taught here. The stupid governments have never seen the need to do this.
Sports here have been the property of sports "clubs"which are really extensions of political parties, generally of the left and far left. Funny, but when they introduced basquetball as a spectator sport in the early 70s (when they could charge admissions) the leftist clubs suddenly became quite profit conscious. Clubs like San Lazaro and San Carlos were suddenly going elbow to elbow with ritzy clubs of the new/old rich like Naco and Arroyo Honda. And reporting more profits in a basquetball season than most clubs ever saw in a year of activity. this has now spread to Santiago, Moca, La Vega, San Francisco de marcoris, San Pedro and La Romana.
College stars not ready for the CBA or NBA come here and make a few 1000 bucks for a short season of round ball. And there are one or two Dominicans in the NBA!....
Softball is very popular with adults, and there are leagues all over the place. Anyone is welcome fi they can hit the ball and catch it.
have fun mate!

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Soccer is starting to develop here. But the major leagues are based in Santo Domingo, such as the Jorge Bauer League. Soccer is taught at many of the private schools. But it is still practiced by a small minority. Tennis is more popular here, but again, most players are members of clubs or work at the clubs. The schools will teach sports based on how much space they have. Most schools today do not have ample field space. More Dominicans play volleyball, basketball or baseball than tennis and soccer and many other sports lumped together. Every kid wants a bicycle, but that's more of a leisure activity than a sport. Lots of people work out in gyms.

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
NO SPORTS AT SCHOOL!!!

I think it is a real shame that more sports arent taught in the schools there. I think it gives kids a good background. Lets them run off a little steam, develop team work, discipline, dedication and a good level of fitness.
I am pleased to hear that futball is played somewhere! I will have to check it out. I actually have coaching badges for cricket and soccer and would love to teach kids about the games, would this be possible?
I will have to watch some crickett with you Hillybilly, if only to put right what that aussie has probably been saying about us pommies!
Dont know if i could watch it with AZB tho, he probably would know the outcome before we sat down! probably has an inside line to the currupt captain ! hehehe
So, i read this baseball team has won the cup then or something, how many people go to watch these games? These are pro teams i take it?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, Jay, last evening about half the country was happy and the other half was crying.
The wrong team won in its last turn at bat, with a resounding six in cricket terms.
The home team tried to even the score, or even win, in its last turn at bat but fell one short. At least we got a good night's sleep out of it.
Dolores, as always is right. Volleyball and tennis are available. On the North Shore, in POP there are a couple of sports clubs that have volleyball teams, but tennis is only at the hotels or at the "Tennis Club" (logical, huh?) in POP.

HB

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Baseball vs. Cricket

Firstly Baseball is a descendant of Cricket. Cricket having evolved over centuries.

Cricket is played far more widely across the World. i.e. Australia, New Zealand, most of Southern and central Africa, India, Pakistan, English W. Indies, Argentina ect.. It is truly an international sport. Where is baseball played? - US central America and Japan and probably Afghanistan now.

In the US they talk of the Baseball "World Series" when teams within the US only participate. It should be called the "US Series".

Who says Cricket is boring! Ever seen a one day international between England and the West Indies at Lords Cricket ground in London? Talk about good sport.

A bowled cricket ball travels twice as fast as a pitched baseball. Also the fielders do not use sissy gloves. Cricket has more rules than any other field game and requires more intelligence than baseball to play well.

Don't get me wrong I do think that baseball is a great game but so is Cricket. So don't put it down. It's ironic that the best Cricket players and the best Baseball players in the World both come from the Caribbean...

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
Drake

Coming from England and having played cricket all my life, even represented Spain! now that proves its international, i agree totally with what you say! Are you in the DR? Does anyone play there?
Id fancy my chances of being a good baseball player, its like getting a load of full tosses thrown at you, and you know where they end up. ! 6 !

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Me play Cricket

It will be me.

I am in Mexico. I have pads, bat, one ball, gloves. When I go to DR for semana santa I will take this stuff over there. I am missing wickets and some blokes to play with.

i will be there again in june. if you are around we can start something.

ps....can we start with a tennis ball...i have some years without playing

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
youre on

So there will be two of us missing_dr. I think we could get hillybilly to umpire and AZB to bribe him! so we'd do alright.

Anyone else!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
After being cut open by a cricket bat in pakistan (when I was a kid), i hung up my batting gloves for good. I was about 7 yrs old and fixing up the wickets in the back as the batter (idiot) took a check swing (like a baseball type swing); hit me square on the face (above the eye) and cut me wide open.
I never played the game again, or better yet, I was never allowed to go back to the field again.
Later, I grew up in USA watching the yankees and mets on TV (every day) in NYC. But I still never gotten into baseball untill I moved to atlanta and actually hung out with the atlanta Braves players. Funny, I didn't even know who they were untill they started to end up in world series almost every years for many years. Ron Gant was a regular hang out buddy of us in marietta area bars. Dave justice and other player were also regulars at local bars around town.
Sorry guys, I am no cricket fan, as much as I try to convence people that I am a real pakistani my american colors always begin to shed doubts on my claim. I am a true Atlanta Braves FAN from my heart.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry Drake, there is no Cricket in the Olympics!

Baseball is more widely played than Cricket-fact.

that does not take away the charm of the game of Cricket.

I used to enjoy the One Days from Singapore over Fox Sports International....Idiots at local cable company put in Fox Sports latin America. A very good channel but they should have left the FSI on line, IMO.

As a matter of fact, there are, in place, sports agreements to push cricket in the DR. It is just that the local sports authorities haven't got the guts to implement the agreements. It seems that the Dom Olympic Committee used this tactic to get votes at the Pan Am Sports Congress for something they wanted.....just sports politics, like most politics, dirty, dirty dirty....

HB

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Cricket vs Baseball

HB
If you add all the populations of the baseball playing countries in the World and compare them with the ones that play cricket. You will see that at least twice as many people play Cricket across the World. fact..

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm a little biased here, but I also believe cricket is a more popular global sport than baseball. I used to love watching the floodlit games in Sydney!

I have a question... How can a baseball team be considered world champions when they only play American/Canadian teams in the world series?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
. But I still never gotten into baseball untill I moved to atlanta and actually hung out with the atlanta Braves players. Funny, I didn't even know who they were untill they started to end up in world series almost every years for many years. Ron Gant was a regular hang out buddy of us in marietta area bars. Dave justice and other player were also regulars at local bars around town.

Ever hear of Friedmans shoes in Atlanta?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Jazzcom, we have many vira latas (stray street dogs)in santiago, waiting for me to throw some food at them, I don't need another vira lata waiting for me on the net to throw some crumbs at him. Get a life and stop following me around.
Try to come up with something original for a change. Who is Mr. friedman....your jewish bun pumpious friend?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Enough!

Take it some place else or get deleted.

Any future posts of this nature will be deleted.

I agree with you AZB on this one, the response was not called for.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Re: Baseball vs. Cricket

Drake said:
A bowled cricket ball travels twice as fast as a pitched baseball. Also the fielders do not use sissy gloves. Cricket has more rules than any other field game and requires more intelligence than baseball to play well.

I am a not a fan of either but a well pitched baseball travels 95 miles per hour.... are you telling me that a cricket ball travels 180?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He exagerates as do all cricketeers, however, the freakin'bowler does get a running start!!. And they are allowed to hit the batsman. In fact the ability to intimidate the batsman is an integral part of the bame. this is one of the reasons that the Windies were so effective during the 60s and 70s. they had these 6'5" 225 lb Jamaicans and Trinidadians and bajeans throwing at well over 100 miles an hour at the batsmans head!
Makes for fun!

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.