Psoriasis treatment/medication in Santiago or local Cibao region...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have a Dominican friend who is being treated for psoriasis. I don't know much about this condition, so he asked if I could get some info on treatment in the DR.

He was given a start-up pack of a medication called Otezla, 30mg. He was told a year's supply costs $14,000 US and his insurance doesn't cover it, which makes me wonder why his doctor would start him on such a treatment if he cannot afford it out-of-pocket.

Since he has family in Santiago, he could see a dermatologist there and hopefully get treated with a similar medication that doesn't cost as much.

If anyone living in the DR is being treated for this condition, I would like to hear how your treatment is going and if anyone can recommend a good doctor either in Santiago or anywhere in the Cibao region, and if this particular med is available in the DR and what the monthly costs are.

Thanks in advance.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Otezla is a new drug. You would not find its equivalent in the DR. I haven't heard huge success stories, but there are a lot of programs to help pay for this and other psoriasis drugs. Insurance always initially declines these, and the doctor has to write a strong justification. He needs to go back to his doctor to fight with his insurance company, but the DR approach is not going to help you here (IMHO).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, new and very expensive drug, will be years befit a generic is available

One of my husbands brothers has it. What works best for him is a steroid product I bring him. It's called Diprolene, the generic is betamethasome ( spelling might be off). It comes in a clear lotion for the scalp/ face , a cream and an ointment ( he says better than the cream) It's available here but it's expensive - I think he told me 1000 pesos for a small tube, but I could be wrong about the cost. Prescription only in US

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
We have psoreasis in my family and the very best treatment is sun and salt water. Take a swim every day in the ocean and expose the affected area to the sun for an hour per day.
You cannot cure psoriasis, however you can avoid serious attacks by eating healthy and keeping your immune system in a good shape.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would certainly go see Dra Maria Consuelo Yunen at Union Medica or at her clinic "Cutis" on Ponce, just across the street from the Uni?n.

HB