Playa Dorada helicopter

Chuck Riley.

Oct 23, 2011
Does anyone know what that green helicopter that patrols the coast around playa dorada? It looks like a military helicopter and it flies real low. Just wondering if it is actually a military chopper ?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Does anyone know what that green helicopter that patrols the coast around playa dorada? It looks like a military helicopter and it flies real low. Just wondering if it is actually a military chopper ?

I was told that for 1000 pesos one can take a helicopter ride in it. But never tried.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
1000 pesos each, that's funny. Try 15000 pesos for three passengers for 30 min. That was twelve years ago.
The exchange rate was a little different back then...........HA.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Back then it was 80 bucks a head for thirty minutes. He buzzed Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Luperon, and came in at 30 feet along Playa Dorado, scaring the crap outa everyone. Typical cowboy. I highly recommend it.
Now I recall, four passengers aft and me up forward beside the pilot.

Last edited:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Probably charter flights. Military uses Huey's. They do fly low and slow during coastal patrols. I noticed the LHVC resort in Playa Dorada is now a Wyndham (the original owners). I'm hearing rumours about Marco and his LHVC empire. Apparently he spread himself really thin, more villas and rooms in Cofresi, new villas in Samana, etc. Anybody hear anything? He is probably regrouping financially due to the economic downturn. The other resort owners in Playa Dorada didn't want him here so internal politics may be the reason.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
when you see them run!!!!!

I see the guys pointing the 50 calibers out of each side of the military choppers. No cause for worry on my part yet. I'd hate to be a drug runner off the coast in a go fast taking fire from them. They can inflict some severe damage!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Green ones are usually military.There was a Blackhawk around,probably US, but the FAD uses mostly Hueys into POP.You can tell them by the 'WhopWhop' noise.
Lifestyle uses a red AS 36 most of the time.It does the shuttle between Cofresi and POP all day at 500 feet.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Green ones are usually military.There was a Blackhawk around,probably US, but the FAD uses mostly Hueys into POP.You can tell them by the 'WhopWhop' noise.
Lifestyle uses a red AS 36 most of the time.It does the shuttle between Cofresi and POP all day at 500 feet.

that Sound is SO unique... Any Vietnam era film with helicopters , that sound..so amazing.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
that Sound is SO unique... Any Vietnam era film with helicopters , that sound..so amazing.

Spent a lot of time in Canadian Coast Guard Huey's doing environmental impact assessment work on oiled shorelines during major oil spills. My favourite beasts. Loved going low and slow along the beaches looking for oiled shorelines while hanging out of the door on a monkey tail with my feet resting on the skids. A bit of weed, some heavy metal music in the headsets and it could have been a scene from Apocalypse Now! Sweet memories of my professional career.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we talked about that military chopper few weeks ago. only heard it once around here and yes, it did sound very much like in american movies.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
we talked about that military chopper few weeks ago. only heard it once around here and yes, it did sound very much like in american movies.

Had a few rides in the Canadian military SeaKings during oil spill recons of the coast. They are old and get a bad rap but I loved them. Lots of vibration and noise but still a sweet ride. Sorta like some women I've encountered over the years!

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
they are actually little sonic booms you are hearing created by the blade tips. I love the sound

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have jumped out of these many times in San Isidro. I would not want to get on one without my parachute. Wide open, no doors where the seating is.