Does bottled water in the DR contain salt?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Never had a problem before but third week here I feel like my blood presure is up. I buy a 5 gallon bottle of water a week called Larimar. Any idea of the content?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Anna, been here 10 years and have bought probably every brand of 5 gallon bottled water for sale.
I have never experienced the taste of salt in the water.........
Here is a little information about the content of bottled water, all companies should be about the same.

Bottled water is drinking water packaged in plastic or glass water bottles.
Bottled water may be carbonated or not.
Sizes range from small single serving bottles to large carboys for water coolers.

Nutrition Facts:
Amount Per 1 cup (237 g)

Calories 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 5 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Sugar 0 g
Protein 0 g 0%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2% Iron 0%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 0%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 1%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I heard that every food product or beverage made in DR contains a little amount of poop in it, but not sure if this can affect your blood pressure.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
all bottled water has trace NaCl. You just have to pick the one that has the least. And keep in mind that one needs perhaps more salt here than in cooler climates.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I heard that every food product or beverage made in DR contains a little amount of poop in it, but not sure if this can affect your blood pressure.

every breath you take contains molecules of the poop from every person who ever lived. earth is a closed system. every year around mar 15 some scientist reminds us that we inhale approx. 4 molecules of Julius ceaser's last breath.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Anna, been here 10 years and have bought probably every brand of 5 gallon bottled water for sale.
I have never experienced the taste of salt in the water.........

The concentration has to be pretty high to taste the difference. Depending on the source, they could dump a bagful of salt into a large enough body and no one would know.

Also consider that we've been in a drought, and people get creative with water sources in a drought.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Salt costs money, why would they put salt in bottled water, for purification, a disinfectant........
At an average price of 35 pesos for a 5 gallon container, it would seem cost prohibitive........
Plus, salt is a big no no in many older persons diets, it could cause major medical problems.
Can't picture a water company doing this.........

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Many substances taste salty. Food grade sodium chloride is expensive. many other salts are not. e.g. road salt. I have no knowledge on the industrial production of potable water in containers. I imagine there are many chemicals used that could leave a salty taste. In the US we can send water to a county level agriculture organization to be tested. I imagine DR has some version since they seem to have good agricultural policies. Says the boston gringo.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
could be its just a disclaimer. like .05percent alcohol in non alcohol beer, actually its zero but they put it on the bottle to be safe. I worked at AB and it was a safeguard for lawsuits

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Never had a problem before but third week here I feel like my blood presure is up. I buy a 5 gallon bottle of water a week called Larimar. Any idea of the content?

If this is just your 3rd week (back?) here and your blood pressure has gone up, I'd be looking at
more than just a 5 gallon bottle of water. Most places on the island cook with lots of salt
and fatty oil. Not sure what your daily routine is but stress or lack of sleep has been known
to give people high blood pressure too.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If this is just your 3rd week (back?) here and your blood pressure has gone up, I'd be looking at
more than just a 5 gallon bottle of water. Most places on the island cook with lots of salt
and fatty oil. Not sure what your daily routine is but stress or lack of sleep has been known
to give people high blood pressure too.

Thanks, I think I have found the source of my problem. I started out on the right foot even brought down the quinoa with me but then my next door neighbours started inviting me over for lunch. Did I say lunch? More like a 5 course feasts. Italian and both are great cooks. Need I say more? Last couple of days I'm back to my simple cooking and lots of water. Feeling great today. ;)

Thanks everyone

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Thanks, I think I have found the source of my problem. I started out on the right foot even brought down the quinoa with me but then my next door neighbours started inviting me over for lunch. Did I say lunch? More like a 5 course feasts. Italian and both are great cooks. Need I say more? Last couple of days I'm back to my simple cooking and lots of water. Feeling great today. ;)

Thanks everyone

I think you already knew the answer but was in denial.

Blamed it on the water? Shame on you.

At least Jamie Fox blamed it on the alcohol. lol

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Salt costs money, why would they put salt in bottled water, for purification, a disinfectant........
At an average price of 35 pesos for a 5 gallon container, it would seem cost prohibitive........
Plus, salt is a big no no in many older persons diets, it could cause major medical problems.

35 pesos? Wow at this end of paradise everything is more expensive. 50 pesos!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think you already knew the answer but was in denial.

Blamed it on the water? Shame on you.

At least Jamie Fox blamed it on the alcohol. lol

:laugh: they gave me beer too which is someting I don't drink everyday. Todo MI culpa

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Ever taste distilled/"pure" water? It tastes oddly flat. That's because two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen has no taste at all.

What makes spring water enjoyable is the natural mineral content. Bottled water producers try to mimic that to an extent and create a brand-differentiating "taste" by adding minerals including salt.

So, yeah, there's an excellent chance your water has a trace of salt in it.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
every breath you take contains molecules of the poop from every person who ever lived. earth is a closed system. every year around mar 15 some scientist reminds us that we inhale approx. 4 molecules of Julius ceaser's last breath.

What will really boil your noodle is when you realize what happened to all that dinosaur urine....

Yes folks, we're all drinking Jurassic Piddle!

Aug 6, 2006
I imagine that all one would need to do is put some of the suspect water out in the sun and let it evaporated. Anything that does not evaporate, less any dust or bugs that might have fallen in, are the trace minerals.
I really doubt that there would be enough salt to cause problems for a diabetic.