200 / 500 Euro bills

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
anybody know anything? Rumor goes that 200 and 500 Euro bills are no longer accepted in the DR. Neither in
regular banks nor at the "cambistas".

Is that so? And if yes, why?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Biggest printed US dollar note in circulation is $100 and this part of the world is 'dollar territory', so does not surprise me if much larger denominations of other currencies would be restricted.

We are also in 'drugland' domain where drugs go one way and cash the other. Makes sense to use smaller notes.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
anybody know anything? Rumor goes that 200 and 500 Euro bills are no longer accepted in the DR. Neither in

Cannot say about DR, as I know nothing about EUR in the DR, but I?m from a EUR-country, and this sounds only like a security and logical procedure.

I used to work years dealing with cash payments (in that EUR-country), and we never accepted larger than 100 EUR nominations unless the total sum of purchase exceeded 100 EURs. We absolutely did not touch any large nominations if the customer in any way suggested being interested only in change of bills (so total sum not reaching 100 EUR), and this would be the case with banks and cambios of course...

That was 6-7 years ago in Europe, so I can only imagine how security/risk management procedures have changed since. Then again, honestly, I can think of no "innocent" reason why would anyone carry EUR bills with large nomination. As said by ju10prd, the largest USD bill is 100 USD, so I have never fully understood the need for larger EUR nominations.

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013

Just this week we had guests in Casa Delfin that paid us with a 500? bill, and went to the Banco Popular here in Las Terrenas to get cambio for another, so I don't think this is true.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I used to get paid cash in Euros when I did European car transport. I would never accept notes of more than 100 Euros because nobody would accept them from me. I'm not at all surprised that they don't want to accept them here.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I used to get paid cash in Euros when I did European car transport. I would never accept notes of more than 100 Euros because nobody would accept them from me. I'm not at all surprised that they don't want to accept them here.

Here in Europe we don't use the big notes

Exactly, fully agree.

I have had to verify the authenticity of a few 500 EUR bills at work (years ago, in EU), and I did not enjoy that.

Imagine 24,350 worth of local currency (BPD EUR buying rate today) in one smallish piece of paper...

In a country where fraudulent payments and criminal actions are more frequent than in Europe, I would be very uncomfortable having to deal with large notes in the DR...