Expired Residency

hollyjackson

Jan 29, 2016
I would like some advice. About 12 years ago I came to this country and I got my temporary residency. I renewed it once. Then I got married to a Dominican and we lived here for five years then we went to the United States. We are now living here again in the DR. My residency expired maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I wasn't aware that I had to renew my residency while I was gone. Now I owe at least 40,000 pesos in late fees. Is there anyway around paying that? I was thinking about starting the process all over again since I have a new last name and passport. But I'm not sure if its possible or if it's even worth it. What do yo think?

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
7 or 8 years I think you'll fine you owe more than that. My wife and I let ours expire for 2 years, as it was cheaper to just pay the exit fees st that time. I can give you a contact for a lawyer in
Santiago that we used. She could tell you via email what the fine and cost to get another residence. PM me if you would like her contact info.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
My wife recently renewed her expired perm residency - there is a fine/month since expiry - much larger then the amount you are showing but i forget the exact amount. I can put you in touch with a great lawyer here in sosua named Vanessa Sanchez - she can let you know the exact costs. Her prices are very reasonable as well...tom

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The cheapest option will be to start again. You will have to get the residency visa process started in your home country, then within 60 days start the process for temporary residency. Once you have had that for 6 months, start your citizenship process (which is much much cheaper than residency and no need for renewal - never runs out). In the meantime you will have paperwork to show you are in process, and assuming you have been married to a Dominican for 10 years or more, you cannot be deported anyway.

Matilda