Hello from Miami!

awillier

Jan 30, 2016
My father passed away in Santo Domingo in 2003 and I just found out he left my sister and I an inheritance. His wife is still living but has Alzheimer's. How do I go about claiming this if it's possible after all these years?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Our resident lawyer has announced he is on vacation until mid February, other may have some info, but i would expect unless you are ready to pay a lawyer wait a couple of weeks.
Der Fish

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If you know for sure that the house (property) is or was in your father's name then by dominican
law it is divided between his wife and his children. Half of it to his wife(50%) and the other
half (50%) to his children.

You and your sister will definitely need to get a lawyer.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
If you know for sure that the house (property) is or was in your father's name then by dominican
law it is divided between his wife and his children. Half of it to his wife(50%) and the other

Don't know Dominican law, but that is generally what would happen in the states. Rules change if the "inheritance" is in the form of insurance.

You definitely should get a lawyer.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

We've read several times right here that a wife does not inherit here in the DR. Sounds not right, but is what has been said several times here. Just blood relatives inherit.
Der Fish