Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit or Myth

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hit or Myth

Good morning everyone,

Interesting chat with some of my DR friends over the past week Here is what I've been told;

1. I can buy a car here by simply using my passport.

2. I don't need a DR drivers license.

3. All I need is the minimum insurance, about $50 annually.

4. The only police that can hold and charge me are the Policia Cestur. Other police can stop me but can't charge me, drunk driving, etc.

5. I can purchase a decent Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 for about $10,000.

A few of you are aware of my living arrangement here during the winter. I stay in a resort about four to five months a year. I rent cars as I need them. Roughly $30 a day total cost. I've been told by the resort manager I can keep my car here when I'm back in Canada.

I know from the DR1 forum, the laws for non DR residents are fairly strict for drivers license and vehicle purchase. Does my non resident status allow me to avoid all this and do what my friends are telling me. Are they hitting the nail on the head or are they myths?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    Good morning everyone,

Interesting chat with some of my DR friends over the past week Here is what I've been told;

1. I can buy a car here by simply using my passport.

2. I don't need a DR drivers license.

3. All I need is the minimum insurance, about $50 annually.

4. The only police that can hold and charge me are the Policia Cestur. Other police can stop me but can't charge me, drunk driving, etc.

5. I can purchase a decent Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 for about $10,000.

A few of you are aware of my living arrangement here during the winter. I stay in a resort about four to five months a year. I rent cars as I need them. Roughly $30 a day total cost. I've been told by the resort manager I can keep my car here when I'm back in Canada.

I know from the DR1 forum, the laws for non DR residents are fairly strict for drivers license and vehicle purchase. Does my non resident status allow me to avoid all this and do what my friends are telling me. Are they hitting the nail on the head or are they myths?
    well, it depends on what you mean by decent. that kind of money will probably get you a 2002 or 2003 CRV.

and , yes, you can buy with a passport. and you donīt need a Dominican license. and you can put minimum insurance. just donīt go too cheap on the coverage. spend about 6 to 8 thousand pesos on insurance, so you get decent coverage. if you have a pedestrian knockdown, you will understand why.

3. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

1. yes
    2. not true
    3. yes but it will be more than 50 dollars
    4. a lie
    5. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, maybe if they are over 10 year old

5. Likes bienamor, melphis, Garyexpat, frank12 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    1. yes
    2. not true
    4. a lie
    I agree 100 per cent with her.
    Der Fish

7. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it, your non-RD driver's license is only valid for thirty days after your arrival as a tourist. It is not a permanent arrangement.

9. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

when i said that you donīt need a DR license, i meant for purposes of buying a car.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    1. yes
    2. not true
    4. a lie

Five answers.....five hits....well done.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we got stopped by AMET for making a left turn off Carares in Santiago onto San Luis. All he asked for was insurance, drivers license, and matricula, all of which we have. We managed to talk him out of the ticket , convincing him we were country folk from Jarabacoa and didn't drive in the big city very often. He laughed ad just told us there were no left turns except at one street and told us to be careful. Thank god for my wife , she has talked them out of giving me tickets three times now.

13. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I agree 100 per cent with her.
    Der Fish
    Agreed but 5 yes you can get a decent suv for 10,000. we bought a 2006 escape for 5600.00 from a private individual. Its just like anywhere else. you have to wait for deals. The bought new suv and need out from this one. only minor problems with it I fixed myself. Dominicans get in financial trouble to.

15. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Agreed but 5 yes you can get a decent suv for 10,000. we bought a 2006 escape for 5600.00 from a private individual. Its just like anywhere else. you have to wait for deals. The bought new suv and need out from this one. only minor problems with it I fixed myself. Dominicans get in financial trouble to.
    he said CRV or RAV4. you cannot get one of those for 10 grand if it is a 2006

17. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast