Lawyer Needed

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
I would like a recommendation for a good lawyer who is fluent in English, and can help me navigate the many legal questions I have. In Puerto Plata.

Also in terms of cost, estimated costs would be appreciated (initial consultation fee?)

Thank you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It might help folks aim you in the right direction, if you perhaps could give us a hint as to what your legal concerns are?

-Residency
-Real Estate acquisition / sale
-Sanky / Prenup
-Marriage / Divorce
-Criminal

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I use Jayme Minor, she speaks very good English and is very honest. Also very reasonable on prices. PM me and I can get you contact info. She has office right down the street from Centro Medico Bournigal hospital. You will not be dissapointed

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
It might help folks aim you in the right direction, if you perhaps could give us a hint as to what your legal concerns are?

-Residency
-Sanky / Prenup
-Marriage / Divorce
-Criminal

lol.. sanky prenup is a highly specialized field navigated only by the highly skilled abagado

drbcabarete

Oct 21, 2005
Excellent Attorney

lol.. sanky prenup is a highly specialized field navigated only by the highly skilled abagado

I would highly recommend Jenny Familia. She has been practicing in Cabarete for 9 years and 5 years prior in Santo Domingo. She speaks perfect English and is well recognized as being honest, efficient and honorable. Her office is across the street from the Millenium Hotel on the second floor of Media Luna Plaza upstairs from Caribe Express and the edenorte. I am sure you will enjoy her and feel more than comfortable with her abilities and has significant experience in this aspect of Dominican Law.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

-Residency
-Sanky / Prenup
-Marriage / Divorce
-Criminal

Is it possible to get a co-hab agreement in the DR? Had one with my last long term relationship in Canada. I'd be totally amazed if I could get a DR lady to sign one!

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
I'll recommend Julio Brea:

Julio Brea-Guzm?n
Socio/Partner
Correo: jbrea@drlawyer.com
Tel.:1.809.571.2880
Cel.:1.829.259.1993
Dir.:pablo Neruda 20
Sos?a
Rep?blica Dominicana
Web:www.drlawyer.com

With me, he has just charged me when he actually did something, so not sure if there is an initial consultant fee.
Supposedly he is one of the more expensive ones in the DR, but nothing compared to American prices. I would highly recommend. Fluent in English as well.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Is it possible to get a co-hab agreement in the DR? Had one with my last long term relationship in Canada. I'd be totally amazed if I could get a DR lady to sign one!

I'd almost be amazed if you could find a Dominican lady who could read it even if it were in Espanol.
Der Fish

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
consults are of course free...as many are in the states...u know 100$ us in pesos...and w/lawyers its about 10k$ and then 5k$

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Majority of Dominicans are not literate. Being able to recognize your printed name and sign it does not constitute literacy. Ever notice Dominicans reading books? Other than checking the lottery results very few can read a newspaper. While the public schools are improving they did not provide much of an education in past years. There are signs its getting better. Not a question of stupidity as much as a lack of opportunity. In general Dominicans are very clever and creative.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Most all dominicans I know are literate. True country wide there is much of it but its still at 90% are literate. I have been here since 1993 and most people I deal with are literate

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Majority of Dominicans are not literate. Being able to recognize your printed name and sign it does not constitute literacy. Ever notice Dominicans reading books? Other than checking the lottery results very few can read a newspaper. While the public schools are improving they did not provide much of an education in past years. There are signs its getting better. Not a question of stupidity as much as a lack of opportunity. In general Dominicans are very clever and creative.

My lady although she cannot read much can remember phone numbers. I can aslk her for a number we called 2 weeks ago and she can speil it out, but as I say cannot read.
Der Fish

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
functional literacy means whatever a given country wants it to mean.

I am always surprised when I see a person struggle with literacy. some people it takes minutes to write their name.

I agree about lack of opportunity vs lack of intelligence.

Apr 7, 2014
functional literacy means whatever a given country wants it to mean

I agree about lack of opportunity vs lack of intelligence.

Hooey! Those people are stupid. I know plenty of people in this country who can read and write proficiently and pursue reading when they can and furthermore know how to spell words correctly.
Other people who cant read cant do it because they were too busy scheming or looking pretty to pay attention to the limited learnin' they had. What kills me is the cyclical premise women give to their daughters that they dont need an education, all they have to do is find a man to take care of them even though that has never ever happened ever. Well, maybe it happens for 3% of them.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Ok Ooh La La, nothing to disagree with in your statement. I just hope you are consistent when you analyze education disparity in the United States.

so those kids who go to toxic schools with metal detectors and armed guards with 50 kids to a class are just stupid and lazy. Those children who go to a school with a pool, track, low teacher/student ratio and abundant programs are just simply smarter and more hardworking.