looking for a house inspector in Santo Domingo

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Hello everyone!

I have been living/renting a house for over 3 years in Santo Domingo / Arroyo Hondo and im interested in buying it. I have a good idea of the dammages and what has to be done around the house but I really dont know much about real estate, value, or cost of those dammages. im looking for a very good house inspector to give me an idea of the cost of the dammages. Also is there any way to get a good idea about the value of the house, in my area and in this market?

Any hint is welcome!

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
haha is it for sale??? and if you want to improve your house...??? call a realtor...wastetheir time..ask ask

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello everyone!

I have been living/renting a house for over 3 years in Santo Domingo / Arroyo Hondo and im interested in buying it. I have a good idea of the dammages and what has to be done around the house but I really dont know much about real estate, value, or cost of those dammages. im looking for a very good house inspector to give me an idea of the cost of the dammages. Also is there any way to get a good idea about the value of the house, in my area and in this market?

Any hint is welcome!

You are not in a country where the sale of real estate is a regulated industry. There are no disclosure forms or home inspectors. Real estate "agents" in the DR are not licensed. As far as value you would have to start with the owner and see what he would want for the house. You should make a list of repairs needed and use that for leverage in negotiating the price. If you can find a reputalbe carpenter he should be able to give you cost of various projects. Keep in mind that if you have problems with the roof, electric or plumbing these could be expensvie. Basically in the DR it's BUYER BEWARE. Good luck.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Yes I know buying a house in DR is complicated and risky, that's the reason I have been renting for a long time hehe.

There is a leak on the roof that have to be fix, this I am aware of, and maybe some minor issue with plumbings.

I am surprise you are saying there is nobody capable of inspecting a house in DR!

If anyone know a reputable carpenter let me know :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it may be a good idea to get construction engineer. he will be able to tell you what needs fixing, what are the problem areas, what are the costs of renovations and so on.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
i think it may be a good idea to get construction engineer. he will be able to tell you what needs fixing, what are the problem areas, what are the costs of renovations and so on.

That's exactly what we did. I am an engineer but I still had to hire one. we found out the previous contractors foundation was not good for a second story and we had to redo entire foundation. they are not very expensive to hire

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Sorry, I only know Puerto plata and some in Santiago. I am sure someone here knows a good one in SD

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
There are three categories of dangers when buying property in the DR:

(1) Physical defects. You are addressing that.

(2) Problems with the neighbours, locale, local services and utilities. If you have lived in the house for three years you are better placed to make a judgment than 99% of gringo buyers in that respect.

(3) Clean title. This is the one which worries me most because it is something you cannot check with your own eyes. You have to rely on Dominican lawyers. Best of luck with that!

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I might be tooting my own horn but this really should be a stickied fact someplace on the site. There are really not any home inspectors
so what I did was hire an engineer, plumber and electrician and have them come over on the same day.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I bought my house here in Arroyo Hondo SD 20 years ago.
I put about $20,000 US into improvements.
I wanted to see the market value after the work I had done.
I called Century 21 to come give me a price.
A brother/sister team showed up, made a walk through, and gave me an estimate of current value, about half what I paid.
I knew the "comparables",so I knew they were bull$hitting" me.
I said so.
They said THEY would send an appraiser and I WOULD SEE THEY WERE RIGHT!!!
"Right"for them, they wanted to buy the house for half it's value.

Point being, NEVER TRUST A REAL ESTATE AGENT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I bought my house here in Arroyo Hondo SD 20 years ago.
I put about $20,000 US into improvements.
I wanted to see the market value after the work I had done.
I called Century 21 to come give me a price.
A brother/sister team showed up, made a walk through, and gave me an estimate of current value, about half what I paid.
I knew the "comparables",so I knew they were bull$hitting" me.
I said so.
They said THEY would send an appraiser and I WOULD SEE THEY WERE RIGHT!!!
"Right"for them, they wanted to buy the house for half it's value.

Point being, NEVER TRUST A REAL ESTATE AGENT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Good quote CC, but I would amend it to NEVER TRUST ANYONE HERE.........

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
can't live in any country if you cannot trust anyone. I know what you mean however. you can trust ME.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Good quote CC, but I would amend it to NEVER TRUST ANYONE HERE.........
Another idiot making sweeping generalizations and stereotyping.
Nobody with half a brain would live in a place in which he can't trust no one.
That is common sense. Do you have any of it?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Another idiot making sweeping generalizations and stereotyping.
Nobody with half a brain would live in a place in which he can't trust no one.
That is common sense. Do you have any of it?

Easy Virgo............................

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
There are really not any home inspectors
Complete and total LIE.
Of course there are people who assess the value of properties. Banks use them all the time, whenever you want to use a property as a collateral for a loan.

The common word for that is: TASADOR, and is a standard Spanish word. The verb is TASAR.

They even have a formal association with a decent website. Even has a table of costs for their services. It seems the "tasaci?n" of a house starts about 125 USD (could be higher for upscale houses. Also, there may be special factors that complicate the job, such as location, which may increase the cost of the service).

Like with everything, some may be honest, some may not be. I do not have first hand experience with any. If the price isn't high, you could separately and independently hire 2-3 of them, to have a better idea. If they all independently give you similar values, they are probably close to the true market value.

Last edited:

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Easy Virgo............................
Again, when someone says something like: Dominicans are crooks, that is a PERSONAL ATTACK on me and each and every Dominican.

It's amazing this needs to be pointed out.

You mods don't seem to care, i suppose because YOU are not getting insulted.

The funny thing is that when someone who HAS BEEN PUBLICLY INSULTED react, you "correct" the victim.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

It is the trolls who cowardly hide behind the anonymity of the net to insult people they don't know who should be punished.

Closing threads is not the solution. The threads are doing nothing wrong. The victims are doing nothing wrong.

The cowardly trolls are the problem.