Prescription pain killers in DR

RandomC

Feb 2, 2016
Hi
Im currently om my honeymoon in the DR and love it. My problem though is that I am dependent on strong painkillers to get through the day. This is because I was born with a few anatomical defects and have had to gone trough 5 major surgeries in the past 3 years. This is, for some reason my medication wont last the rest of my stay here. If this is because of sneaky hotelstaffs or me just being clumsy and not bringing enough/losing it somewhere. Anyway, for the past week ive been trying to the hold of a new prescription (oxycontin and/or morphine) to no avail. Im basically being told that there is no opioids in tabletform stronger than codeine anywhere i the country. As a health professional myself that just sounds completely insane.

Anyway, Ive read some posts on this forum and find that most people here seem very friendly and helpfull so Im turning to all of you kind people. Maybe someone knows of a doctor or pharmacy that could help me, maybe someone even have some spare medication themselves they would be willing to part with to help a complete stranger and save a young couples honeymoon. Im currently rationing what little i have left but i just a day or two ill be all about. Im pretty scared considering my doses are pretty high. We cant even fly home earlier since there are no planes going our way for almost a week.

All help, big and small, would be greatly appreciated and Ill be forever in your debt!

Regards
Michael, from sweden

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hi
Im currently om my honeymoon in the DR and love it. My problem though is that I am dependent on strong painkillers to get through the day. This is because I was born with a few anatomical defects and have had to gone trough 5 major surgeries in the past 3 years. This is, for some reason my medication wont last the rest of my stay here. If this is because of sneaky hotelstaffs or me just being clumsy and not bringing enough/losing it somewhere. Anyway, for the past week ive been trying to the hold of a new prescription (oxycontin and/or morphine) to no avail. Im basically being told that there is no opioids in tabletform stronger than codeine anywhere i the country. As a health professional myself that just sounds completely insane.

Anyway, Ive read some posts on this forum and find that most people here seem very friendly and helpfull so Im turning to all of you kind people. Maybe someone knows of a doctor or pharmacy that could help me, maybe someone even have some spare medication themselves they would be willing to part with to help a complete stranger and save a young couples honeymoon. Im currently rationing what little i have left but i just a day or two ill be all about. Im pretty scared considering my doses are pretty high. We cant even fly home earlier since there are no planes going our way for almost a week.

All help, big and small, would be greatly appreciated and Ill be forever in your debt!

Regards
Michael, from sweden

Last time I was there, all the pharmacies were selling Tramadol over the counter.

Not sure if they are still available over the counter in DR as they became a schedule 4 controlled substance in all US states.

Also, not sure if they are strong enough for your condition.

Good luck.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Where are you. Some of my family are surgeons they are in Puerto Plata and Santiago. you would have to be seen by someone. No doctor here will write a prescription

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi

Regards
Michael, from sweden

What city are you in? I have picked up Oxycontin for others several times at Farmacia Cristal here i Puerto Plata. I don't know if they are just local here or not, but shouldn't be a problem.

RandomC

Feb 2, 2016
Luckily im in puerto plata. Ive been both to pharmacies and a doctor and the all claim there is no oxycontin or morphine tablets to be found in the whole country (which i find hard to belive).

To popeye and Derfish: Any help would be appreciated, would forever be in your debt. If anyone would prefer discussing over the phone instead of on the forum just give me a PM and ill give you my number.

Thank you

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All indications are that you are out of luck with your need in this country.

It is a bit odd when so many of the military are in charge of smuggling cocaine that such a medicine is not available.

RandomC

Feb 2, 2016
To clarify i do have a swedish prescription with me from home as well as a letter from my pain physician, and official forms from my pharmacy back home. So there should be no trouble proving that i actually need the medicine.

RandomC

Feb 2, 2016
Unfortunately the otc just arent strong enough for me to combat the pain, or worse, the withdrawal. Everyone who have or has had problems with chronic pain know how much it can screw up your life.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What city are you in? I have picked up Oxycontin for others several times at Farmacia Cristal here i Puerto Plata. I don't know if they are just local here or not, but shouldn't be a problem.

do you mean oxycontin or oxa/ oxa forte?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Unfortunately the otc just arent strong enough for me to combat the pain, or worse, the withdrawal. Everyone who have or has had problems with chronic pain know how much it can screw up your life.

Yeah but withdrawals are worse with Oxy's, Percs, Vicodins as appose to Tramadols, etc.

But, then again, I am not a user so I only know about these as I had to take when I had my 4 major surgeries.

RandomC

Feb 2, 2016
Thank you to everyone whos been trying to help. Just to clarify though, what im looking for is oxycontin/oxycodone (alt morhpine), which is not the same as oxa forte.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I think you mean oxa forte, which is not strong enough for the OP since it is just codeine. I have not seen anything about Oxycontin being available in the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
To clarify i do have a swedish prescription with me from home as well as a letter from my pain physician, and official forms from my pharmacy back home. So there should be no trouble proving that i actually need the medicine.

i think your best bid is to visit a local doctor, explain the problem and see what he can do for you.