Dr- Place for me?

IversonROX

Jan 30, 2002
I want to move to the Dominican Republic. All of my family tells me not to and from want people are saying it sounds terrible to live there. I have been to the island twice for vacation and once I once i travelled off the resort. I know that it isn't going to be like it was on the resort but I also know that it isn't hell on earth. I am 18 years of age and i will have completed high school in June and I don't want to go to college in September. What do others think that I should do?

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
you're only 18, you have no support network in the country...and how exactly do you plan on earning a living in the country?

My advice is to visit again before you set you heart on moving there. This time around don't stay at a resort and travel the country so you can really get an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
BIG Mistake

your mistake is not in moving there....it's just how you are going about it. It is very expensive to live in the DR, more than you think,I'm sure of that(but I have been wrong.......twice as a matter fact.....lol)I would suggest for you to go down for a extended vacation.....NOT at a resort! This is very important! Check it out........maybe for about three months and then make a descision, but to move down there right now.....I believe you are making a huge mistake. My wife and I are planning (big thing there,......PLANNING) and I have been to the DR about 30 times and I've got a very, very lot to learn. I would not even move there right now, without going down for an extended stay......approx 3 months. To really learn a lot more, even still I realize that I'll be learning from the school of hard knox. I've got a lot of really good friends down there right now and have met a lot of other potentially good friends here on this board (btw....this board will teach you more in four months here than you'll learn in three weeks there! This board is a fantastic fourm to learn from....I think so anyways) with out this network of friends, I don't think I would be able to do it! So my advice to you is to slow it down.....quite a bit and move into this MOVE slowly. The DR is not the paradise you think it is, sure it is a beautiful island and more than likely a wonderful place to live, but it is not like moving from Chicago Ill. to Phoniex AZ. , The ways of life are very different down there and need to be learnt a lot more than going off the resort once. We never stay on a resort when there, and we are always out and about, my wife is learning the language, she has taken one course already and is in her second course which is an intensive course(I don't know , maybe you are fluent in Spanish already....if so this will be a huge help)and knowing the language will be a great help to us! Remember that the cost of living is probably at least the same if not more than where you live right now, and the wages down there are very low, unless you are a professional at some type of trade. Be prepared to earn about 1/4 of what you may earn in the states, and the cost of living (like you live right now) to be at least the same or more! I'm sure you'll get a lot more hits on this subject, and I believe you'll be told the same as I am telling you right now! So unless you can buy a house outright (about 75,000.00 for a decent house, like in the states) and be able to purchase transportation, and then have enough to carry you for a few months (6 or 8) until you get your residence, so you can work legally, you'll have a tough time.
All that being said, there is a girl on this board, maybe she'll respond.......that moved down there with relitivly nothing, and has done a wonderful job(better than most could do!)at getting herself going......she done it with nothing.....so it can be done, but people like her are few and far between! Also she had been down to the island a lot more than yourself, and is a few years older than yourself, and has lived in a few different places and is very street smart and also intelligent as well. She has done a fantastic job at her transition, but has also found it to be very tough. So it can be done, but be ready for a long tough road!
So good luck and I wish you the best and please keep us informed on your situation, if you don't mind........ok
Take Care..............Doug
P.S. Your more than welcome to ask me any questions if you want.....e-mail me directly if you wish.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have received excellent advice: Take it! For God's Sake!

You do not have the talents needed to survive here. You have no work history, and the lady referred to above had her own businesses before moving here and she had some savings too.

Sure this is a great place to live, we all love it here. But think: What do I have to offer to the job market of the Dominican Republic? If you cannot answer with something really unique at your age--like you are a computer guru-than you had better take the opportunities that college in the States has to offer.

Advice given to you free, from a very old resident here!!

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Well Im sure I'm the one hese guys are refering to. I came here with very little money, but also had some friends here form the computer and people I met on vacation. It's not easy but I am determined to stay here. I would come here if you can afford for a while and check it out..like the "boys" were saying. See if you can hang. Don't do the tourist things, eat the real Dominican food, live like a Dominican and see if its for you. I really don't think most people could do what I did coming here the way I did. Don't know you but things here are so dirrerent than the states and you don't realize it until you really live here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Jan is not a "Good Example!"

Now before you jump on me ,I,ll Tell you why.I,ll use an example.Say that Jan was "Mysteriously" transported to the surface of the Moon! Now,within a few seconds Jan would have made Oxygen by separating the hydrogen and oxygen from water in the "Presidente" she happened to be holding when transported.She would have soon built a shelter from rocks,and made a sandwich from some Pan de Agua in her pocket, and we all know that the moon is made of "Queso Verde".Soon Jan would be selling "Pan de Agua and Queso Verde" sandwiches to all Inter-Galactic travelers and making her "Fortune!" Point Being that Jan has Survivor Skills,and will Survive "wherever",and some people(read: MOST PEOPLE)don,t!,and can,t survive anywhere! Criss Colon

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My suggestion is a little different...go to college...learn a career that might give you some skill that will make you desirable for a company to hire...go to work for an american company that has offices in the DR...let them move you there...point is right now you're no better that the average kid just getting out of high school...you may not even be as well educated as some of those attending private schools in the DR...you have NOTHING to offer an employer in a field that will pay for the lifestyle you are used to...The Dominican, with all its beauty and laid back lifestyle will still be there waiting for you...