Photographer visiting for first time

JasonMN

Feb 3, 2016
Hi everyone,

First off I want to say what a great resource this forum has been leading up to my trip to the DR. I have gone through a ton of posts on here and appreciate everyone of you!

I am a photographer here in the US and am making the trip with my girlfriend. I am a photographer of urban architecture and of historical properties. Properties that may be vacant or ruins that hold memories from the past.

1. I have read all the "horror" stories on Trip Advisor about driving in DR. I understand the risks, and I will still be renting a car. This has been my biggest concern since reading a huge Trip Advisor thread deterring me not to drive. While driving may be a mess compared to what I am used to at home, it is my only way to visit the island the best I can. I am not huge on tour groups and like to do things a little more independant.

2. On the subject of driving, I have learned there has been some massive improvements in the public infrastructure and there is a nice highway that goes from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo. Is there a decent map of the highway or road system thats online I can print out?

3. Being a photographer, one of my concerns is always the perception of people and the privacy of them. I also don't want to shoot anything that locals would perceive me as exploiting their land or culture since this is not my goal. However, my subjects at times can be places like former resorts that are closed, etc. How are photographers perceived? If I did run across something that may be closed or vacant, is there any danger involved in shooting some photos?

4. How are Americans and tourists really perceived in the DR? I know very little spanish and have tried to learn as much as I could before my trip.

5. I would love to see some of the smaller communities, are these okay to visit outside a tour group? I guess my thought is again i dont want to be perceived as someone exploiting locals or angering them with my interest... Specifically when using a camera.

I should add, I am used to traveling and photographing in areas that many would consider off limits to the typical tourists. I have no problem doing so and I dont believe I show any kind of nervousness or fear. Any suggestions, thoughts or comments would be great. Cant wait to visit!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Welcome to Wonderland!

1. Those "horror" stories written on Trip Advisor were written for a reason.

2. The highways are great its the other drivers you need to be aware of.

3. Hanging around and photographing vacant buildings in a 3rd world, apply common sense.

4. "Tourist" from America are expected to pay 3x the amount they would charge a local but with you
being the experienced traveler, if lucky, you will only end up paying double.

5. If you plan to go into "smaller communities" with the sole purpose of taking pictures of buildings, I don't think
you will run into any problems if going during the day. If you are going into a the smaller communities with the
sole purpose of photographing people during their everyday lives, you better go with a local and make sure you
have their permission beforehand.

Nervousness and fear are nothing more than a frame mind having zero to do with reality.
Just pay attention to your surroundings, avoid barrios after dark and you'll be just fine.

Don't forget to post lots of photographs for us!!!!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2009
Make sure you have theft insurance covering your photography equipment. You may be walking around with thousands of dollars (2-3 times the value in the US if not more), so you don't want to make yourself a target in larger cities and tourist towns. Rural people here, I find them very nice and not the threatening type at all.

I agree with everything CristoRey posted. If you're not going to photograph people, you'll be fine, but if you decide to take someone's photo, just ask. I don't see a problem with that. Many people may even ask you to take their photo, especially in small towns or very rural roads up in the mountains. A little Spanish would help though, especially if driving in non tourist areas.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I having been using a Sony a6000 and a canon 7d mark ii with a 70-200 2.8 L lens. The white L lens attracts more attention but hasn't been an issue. Some people just think I am professional and I am not.

You do need to be careful but I don't think it would be a major issue. The capital has a lot of cool buildings. You will get use to the driving just yield when they come into your lane and watch out for all the Motos, people, cows, no lights , etc

I don't think people care if you take pictures of any structures here.

JasonMN

Feb 3, 2016
Thanks for the comments everyone. I am currently staying in El Cortecito and so far everything has been great. Haven't shot as many photos as I would like for for various reasons. Some observations so far:

First impressions are this is a much more beautiful country than I ever imagined. Took a drive up from El Cortecito to Miches a couple days ago, the new highway was in good condition and the ride very pleasant. This was where I saw the real beauty of the island for the first time. Unfortunately, I didn't feel comfortable getting out and taking photos in Miches, I wish I did. I think the reason for that is I just don't know the people and the culture enough yet. I don't know what to think of everyone or how they would react if they saw me get out of car with my camera. Mostly I didn't want them to be upset and with very limited Spanish I wouldn't be able to interact with them. I did however drive up to the hotel on top of the hillside and take some photos down overlooking the city. We were running out of daylight and turned around and drove back

On the way back, we turned off and went through Higuey and ate dinner at a place called Boka not far from the basilica. Not knowing Spanish, this was a bit difficult but we made it work. We ate on the patio outside and immediately a couple of young children tried to come up to us and the restaurant shooed them away. They sat on the curb in front watching us, in assuming they were waiting for us to finish to try and sell us a service or some goods. By the time we left they were gone though. The vibe as a foreigner in Higuey was much different than El Cortecito or PC. Much more attention was made to us and eyes were def on us. No one seemed to care we were in Miches, driving through the small roads no one appeared to even look at us. Driving through Higuey was something else... The motocycles are something I had never seen before. By far the biggest mess of traffic I've seen here yet.

One thing that stands out so far is what appears to be the lack of visible law endorcement. It took a couple days for me to see police, certainly didn't see any in Punta Cana or near airport. I liked this. Coming from America, I'm used to fully armed police everywhere. Can't go ten minutes in any downtown without seeing a police presence.

Last night, I drove up to a public beach access in el Macao. It was next to the Roko Ki. A lot of people down there. It was getting dark so didn't spend much time there but it was a beautiful area. Again, no one really payed any attention to my girlfriend and I. The drive back to Cortecito was where I first saw a police presence. I saw multiple trucks with police like lights on on side of roads. I understand how driving at night is not advised, lots of motos without tail lights on dark highway. Learned real quick to pay real close attention. As far as Roko Ki goes, is there any access to the now closed property? It looks like a beautiful spot up there. If there is a way in there, would it be advised not to attempt to go around and shooting some photos on the unfinished resort?

One other thing to note about driving, i noticed a lot of people flashing brights at me, couldn't figure out why. I'm assuming now it's just them checking the road in front of them for walkers, dogs or motos.

Today, as soon as my significant other can shake the sickness she got last night(throwing up sick) we plan on venturing back to Miches and go further. I know some recommended the North Coast, it appears that the route I would have to take. I'd like to think maybe I'm a bit more comfortable and maybe I will be able to stop in some of the smaller towns off the highway and take some pictures. Such beautiful architecture and colorful homes. I think I have decided to skip a Santo Domingo trip mainly due to time constraints and others have told me to spend my time elsewhere. Although I really want to see the old town.

I've spent countless hours reading so many threads on this forum, what a great resource it has been. I'll be sure to report back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi everyone,

First off I want to say what a great resource this forum has been leading up to my trip to the DR. I have gone through a ton of posts on here and appreciate everyone of you!

I am a photographer here in the US and am making the trip with my girlfriend. I am a photographer of urban architecture and of historical properties. Properties that may be vacant or ruins that hold memories from the past.

1. I have read all the "horror" stories on Trip Advisor about driving in DR. I understand the risks, and I will still be renting a car. This has been my biggest concern since reading a huge Trip Advisor thread deterring me not to drive. While driving may be a mess compared to what I am used to at home, it is my only way to visit the island the best I can. I am not huge on tour groups and like to do things a little more independant.

2. On the subject of driving, I have learned there has been some massive improvements in the public infrastructure and there is a nice highway that goes from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo. Is there a decent map of the highway or road system thats online I can print out?

3. Being a photographer, one of my concerns is always the perception of people and the privacy of them. I also don't want to shoot anything that locals would perceive me as exploiting their land or culture since this is not my goal. However, my subjects at times can be places like former resorts that are closed, etc. How are photographers perceived? If I did run across something that may be closed or vacant, is there any danger involved in shooting some photos?

4. How are Americans and tourists really perceived in the DR? I know very little spanish and have tried to learn as much as I could before my trip.

5. I would love to see some of the smaller communities, are these okay to visit outside a tour group? I guess my thought is again i dont want to be perceived as someone exploiting locals or angering them with my interest... Specifically when using a camera.

I should add, I am used to traveling and photographing in areas that many would consider off limits to the typical tourists. I have no problem doing so and I dont believe I show any kind of nervousness or fear. Any suggestions, thoughts or comments would be great. Cant wait to visit!

If you like to shoot historical properties the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo is a must. I would stay overnight in order to be able to shoot at a relaxing pace. Google the Hotel El Conde de Penalba. This is an old colonial hotel with a large outdoor cafe and across the plaza from the oldest church in the new world. Ask for a room with a balcony and you can shootsome interesting photos from there. Good luck and good travels.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
contact chimorya by private email

her husband is the former DR presidential photographer

ask her opinion on places to go

they are the best!

dd