Tires !!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Driving home on autopista SD-Santiago this afternoon.
A lorry was doing his magic trick of overtaking at 62 km/h another lorry driving 60 km/h duuuhhh..... itchy trigger finger:mad:
I was 2 cars back..... 2 jeepetas in front of me.
KABOUUUM !!!
Like a shotgun going off !! I swear the road shuddered.....:confused:

The lorry had blown 2 back tires out of 8 ( 2 times 2 each side, at the back ).
When I say blew, it really blew off !! The pieces of tires flew allover the place, and the rims were sparkling off the road.....

My question is, how is it possible ??
Some times I dont even notice my tire is flat....
Could this happen to me ?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
A lorry was doing his magic trick of overtaking at 62 km/h another lorry driving 60 km/h duuuhhh..... itchy trigger finger:mad:
KABOUUUM !!!

When I say blew, it really blew off !! The pieces of tires flew allover the place, and the rims were sparkling off the road.....

I was driving a company truck once upon a time and as I stopped for a red light just 3 blocks out of theshop a pair of duel wheels rolled past me. "Some poor fool lost his wheels" I muttered to myself. Then I tried to move forward as the light changed and dropped down on my left rear axle. The mechanic had had things apart for some maintenance and hadn't put the bolts back in!
So it can happen to me, don't know about you!
Der Fish

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

It's got something to do with the driver not noticing that one tire is real low, because it's a dually axel and the tire that's not low supports the whole load, and then the tire gets real hot and blows up. That happened to me once in the US when I was getting passed and had my window open. I wasn't any more than ten feet away from the thing. Whew!!!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It's a combination of under inflation, over loading and almost certainly poorly made recap tires.

Jan 9, 2004
KABOUUUM !!!

Could have been poor quality retread tires that burst. Lots of retreads in use on large trucks and heavy equipment in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
nobody in there right minds uses recapped steer tires only drive tires. I have seen recapped steer tires here. bad tires ,recapped tires, worn out old dried up carcasses whatever caused them to blow. most countries have spot inspections, this country never heard of any.It took Mexicans forever to figure it out in usa when nafta started.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when you drive on main roads in DR you see a lot of shredded tire pieces. blow ups are fairly frequent, judging by press reports regarding accidents.

if you buy good tires and change them regularly you should be fine, i think?

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
when you drive on main roads in DR you see a lot of shredded tire pieces. blow ups are fairly frequent, judging by press reports regarding accidents.

if you buy good tires and change them regularly you should be fine, i think?
YES Normally to change out the drive tires on a regular say 18 yard dump runs about 2700 to 3000 USD you get about 400,000 miles on a set if you rotate etc. they push them to the hilt in DR. I have seen them up close with zero tread on some.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
What I was wondering is why, when i have a flat on my car, I get a flock, flock, flock sound, and perhaps a bit of floating in the steering,
As opposed to a tire blowing up like a saw yesterday.

Is it bad luck ? And it can happen to any tire.
Or is it over-over-used tyres?
Or even a diffrent type of tyre alltogother ?

As dv8 pointed out, here in the dr we see tyre bits allover the autopistas.
Which got me wondering, is this case world wide ( and we just have better services back home, who pick up the bits )?
Is it due to the poor roads ?
Or is it due to poor tyres ?
I wish for the latter, then I dont have to worry about it happening to me ;) ;)

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
DO not worry. Heavy duty tires on trucks are not like the tires on your car. Keep your tires inflated to correct pressure and check every other week or so.. Get a little gauge and keep in car. You do not half to worry about your tires blowing up.

Truck Tires are made with a harder compound that's why they get 400-600 thousand miles before retreading. When the get old they get more brittle. YOUR tires are a softer compound. Do not worry you will get the normal flop,flop,flop sound

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I lived in Tijuana Mexico for 7 years and while there I noticed small tire shops selling used tires. They would take tires that were worn down to almost nothing and then with a hot knife carve in more treads to make them look like they were decent tires. Haven't seen this here in the DR but it wouldn't surprise me.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
tire regrooving tools are used on large truck tires at times. Mexicans doing these tires are thieves if on car tires. I have not seen it here either

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
that's why we have inspections in USA. In usa they can shut you down with the slightest tiny air leak they hear. I never hang close to trucks I pass and get out of the way. trucks can crash from blowing tires

But in answering her question she really has nothing to worry about with exploding tires on her car. last year my ford f150 brake caliper came off inside the rim and tore out the inside of my rim. instant tire pressure lose and tire came off rim at 60 mph. it was ok. just no one would get out of my way so I could pull over until one nice man blocked traffic.

OP need not worry

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One of these rice trucks was overloaded with too much rice when it blew a tire and the rubber fragments killed a
young girl who was walking to school that morning down highway 132 south of Nagua in the fall 2012. Happened
five minutes away from my house and we heard the explosion.

I also had a rental car windshield cracked by rubber from an 18 wheeler blowing a tire. Happened just outside of Bagdad..
(Florida) as I was driving down interstate 10. Was partially my fault because I was following to close.

Tire companies can make better tires for these oversized vehicles but choose not too. Welcome to the wonderful world
of planned obsolescence.