Hi DR1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pclark

Jan 14, 2016
Thanks to everyone for the variety of posts! My wife and I will be in the DR in March for a week and we are trying to finalize our plans. We are flying in to Santiago, renting a car and driving to Barahona for the Larimar mines, then back north to Puerto Plata. Flying back out of Santiago. Oh, our Spanish isn't very good.

There are several things I'm curious about and need your help. Mostly, what is the best (fastest route from Santiago to Barahona and how long time should take? Starting at the airport, Google maps is saying to take Highway 1 (Autopista Duarte) south to Piedra Blanca, then Hwy 201 to Hwy 41 at Sabana Larga south to Hwy 2 and head west to Hwy 44. This route looks like it might wind around and take a long time.

I'm thinking Hwy 2 south towards Santo Domingo and taking the Autopista Circunvalacion de Sto. Domingo south to Hwy 6 west and then Hwy 2 west to Hwy 44. It's a little bit longer but looks like a better route. My guess is about 5 hours of driving.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Pat

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It may be you are underestimating the size of the Dominican Republic in your plans. It hardly makes sense to drive all the way from Santiago to just see the larimar mines. No matter how you do this, you are talking about at least five hours driving in each direction… not taking into account getting lost at any point.

The better route is taking Duarte Highway from Santiago, the Cirvunvalacion de Santo Domingo getting off at the route to San Cristobal, then Bani, Azua and then Barahona. You may also use Waze, that has worked well for me. Be sure to have a physical map so you can show people where you are headed and get help while on the road. You should ask at every new city reached to make sure you are on the right way.

If the larimar mines are a must, my suggestion would be to spend the entire time in that area, and tour the rest that the southwest can offer:
Barahona: Parque Litoral Maria Montez, Las Caritas, Lago Enriquillo, Barahona Panoramic Highway, San Rafael-Villa Miriam, Playa Azul Restaurant, El Cachote, Cueva de la Virgen, Casa Bonita Zipline and Spa, Polo and Magnetic Hill, Los Patos Beach.
Pedernales: Parque Eolico Los Cocos, Laguna de Oviedo (birdwatching), Hoyo de Pelempito, Cabo Rojo beach, Bahia de las Aguilas beach, lobsters dining in Pedernales.

Making much more sense if you already have your tickets is to forget the larimar mines and enjoy what Santiago and the north coast have to offer. If you are into mines, there is the amber mines in this area. Puerto Plata is less than an hour drive from Santiago and full of attractions to see that will keep you busy for the week.

Then plan a second trip, arrive and depart via Santo Domingo's Las Americas Airport (SDQ), tour the Colonial City and enjoy Santo Domingo's nightlife, restaurants and Botanical Gardens, and then head for Barahona. Give yourself at least a week. From SD you are talking a three hour drive to Barahona.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks to everyone for the variety of posts! My wife and I will be in the DR in March for a week and we are trying to finalize our plans. We are flying in to Santiago, renting a car and driving to Barahona for the Larimar mines, then back north to Puerto Plata. Flying back out of Santiago. Oh, our Spanish isn't very good.

There are several things I'm curious about and need your help. Mostly, what is the best (fastest route from Santiago to Barahona and how long time should take? Starting at the airport, Google maps is saying to take Highway 1 (Autopista Duarte) south to Piedra Blanca, then Hwy 201 to Hwy 41 at Sabana Larga south to Hwy 2 and head west to Hwy 44. This route looks like it might wind around and take a long time.

I'm thinking Hwy 2 south towards Santo Domingo and taking the Autopista Circunvalacion de Sto. Domingo south to Hwy 6 west and then Hwy 2 west to Hwy 44. It's a little bit longer but looks like a better route. My guess is about 5 hours of driving.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Pat

What time does your flight arrive in Santiago? Figuring it is 5 hour to Barahona I would not suggest that you drive at night. You might want to split the trip into two days. Spending one night in the colonial zone in Santo Domingo . Check out Hotel El Conde de Penallba. Nice old colonial hotel right accross the plaza from the oldest church in the new world and walking distance to all the historical sites. Another thing to remember is at the airport in Santiago go to an ATM and get at least Rd5-10,000 pesos for the ride. Gasoline is expensive in the DR. I think it is around $4 US per gallon. When you fill up with gas you want to pay cash and be sure you are watching them fill your car so you don't get ripped off. Yes, you are gringos and don't know the DR. Please be careful. Good luck and good travels.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Let me repeat that especially because you are gringos and have no idea how bad the driving is here:

DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT HERE !!!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
2 second video of normal driving here.

Keep your eyes on the road every second.

[video=youtube;ch1yjA97evQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch1yjA97evQ[/video]

Pclark

Jan 14, 2016
What time does your flight arrive in Santiago? .

We arrive at 12:30. It looks like sunset is at about 7pm the day we arrive. So barring us getting lost we should be able to get to Barahona before dark. I think if there is one universal rule I've read here is not to drive at night. I have no intention of driving at night unless there is an emergency.

Pclark

Jan 14, 2016
It may be you are underestimating the size of the Dominican Republic in your plans. It hardly makes sense to drive all the way from Santiago to just see the larimar mines. No matter how you do this, you are talking about at least five hours driving in each direction… not taking into account getting lost at any point.
I wouldn't say the mines are a must but they are up there on the list. I'm an avid rockhound so I really want to see and buy some stones at the source.
The size of the Island isn't an issue to me. I like to drive and see things. Even though we are booked at a resort, sitting on the beach for a week isn't exactly my idea of fun. When you're on a time crunch, like we always are, there is always a compromise to see and do versus sit and relax. I like to keep moving!
The amber mines are also definitely on the list! Do you know a good guide in the area?

Pclark

Jan 14, 2016
Let me repeat that especially because you are gringos and have no idea how bad the driving is here:

DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT HERE !!!!

Nope. No intention of driving at night! I've been reading the posts here on DR1 and videos on Youtube. Certainly an adventure!

Pclark

Jan 14, 2016
Another thing to remember is at the airport in Santiago go to an ATM and get at least Rd5-10,000 pesos for the ride. Gasoline is expensive in the DR. I think it is around $4 US per gallon. When you fill up with gas you want to pay cash and be sure you are watching them fill your car so you don't get ripped off. Yes, you are gringos and don't know the DR.
Yes, definitely gringos, but we have traveled quite a bit. I'm also retired military so there isn't always a lot that really surprises me. That being said, this is our 1st trip to the DR and the trip research has been "interesting" to say the least. One of my biggest concerns is getting ripped off. I'm usually pretty good about having my guard up. It's the friendly thief you don't expect that I worry about.
We will not be relying on credit cards and an ATM or bank is our first stop after landing. Is one place better than another the exchange currency at the airport?

Have fun, I love driving around this country but it is not for the faint of heart. No Spanish makes it more difficult but I am sure you will figure it out. Bring a gps thingy if you can, it will help a lot since there are not many road signs and Doms are not good at giving directions.

An easy 5 hour drive in NA is not the same here, many odd things can happen but if you travel a lot I am sure you know that.
An important number to have is for the MOPC.(829) 688-1000 For the NC area not sure of the other areas but you will see signs for them! They are military police/road side assistance and are VERY helpful and never have accepted or asked for any money from us. They are stationed all over the main highways around the Country.

We have been stranded countless times on the side of the road in the day or night and nothing but wonderful help from Locals but do be aware of your surroundings and I always have some sort of weapon in the car just in case...

Pclark

Jan 14, 2016
Have fun, I love driving around this country but it is not for the faint of heart. No Spanish makes it more difficult but I am sure you will figure it out. Bring a gps thingy if you can, it will help a lot since there are not many road signs and Doms are not good at giving directions.

An easy 5 hour drive in NA is not the same here, many odd things can happen but if you travel a lot I am sure you know that.
An important number to have is for the MOPC.(829) 688-1000 For the NC area not sure of the other areas but you will see signs for them! They are military police/road side assistance and are VERY helpful and never have accepted or asked for any money from us. They are stationed all over the main highways around the Country.

We have been stranded countless times on the side of the road in the day or night and nothing but wonderful help from Locals but do be aware of your surroundings and I always have some sort of weapon in the car just in case...

MOPC is great info to have, Thanks! I'll definitely have the number in my phone. We will be bringing a GPS with us and hopefully the GPS and the actual roads will agree with each other as to where we are.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Yes, definitely gringos, but we have traveled quite a bit. I'm also retired military so there isn't always a lot that really surprises me. That being said, this is our 1st trip to the DR and the trip research has been "interesting" to say the least. One of my biggest concerns is getting ripped off. I'm usually pretty good about having my guard up. It's the friendly thief you don't expect that I worry about.
We will not be relying on credit cards and an ATM or bank is our first stop after landing. Is one place better than another the exchange currency at the airport?

As far as currency exchange if you do it at the airport do it at the bank in the airport, there are several to choose from, but the kid standing outside the door of the bank is not the one to do business with.
Der Fish

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We arrive at 12:30. It looks like sunset is at about 7pm the day we arrive. So barring us getting lost we should be able to get to Barahona before dark. I think if there is one universal rule I've read here is not to drive at night. I have no intention of driving at night unless there is an emergency.

That might work. You are counting on the flight being on time. It will probably take at least another hour to an hour and a half to go through customs and immigration, get your luggage and rental car. I would definitely have a plan B incase you need to stay overnight in Santo Domingo. Are you bringing a GPS with you otherwise I would go online and buy a map of the DR so that you have an idea of where you are going. Just be aware that you may also pass through some police checkpoints and they may ask you for your rental info and license. Hopefully not but if you do just cooperate and you will get through it. Keep telling them you don"t speak Spanish. Please be careful driving. Remember, most of the time, the biggest vehicle has the right of way. Good luck and good travels.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Do not go to a money exchange kiosk at the airport. They will charge you a hefyt fee for the exchange. You are better off to just go to an ATM and take out money on your card or if you bring American dollars you could stop at a bank but usually the lines are long and the service is slow. Just make sure a gas station when an attendent fills your tank that he resets the pump to ZERO. Do you have a reservation at a resort in Puerta Plata? If so you might be better off to go there first and then use that as your home base. Then you can take trips from that point. Good luck and good travels.

Last edited:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I wouldn't say the mines are a must but they are up there on the list. I'm an avid rockhound so I really want to see and buy some stones at the source.
The size of the Island isn't an issue to me. I like to drive and see things. Even though we are booked at a resort, sitting on the beach for a week isn't exactly my idea of fun. When you're on a time crunch, like we always are, there is always a compromise to see and do versus sit and relax. I like to keep moving!
The amber mines are also definitely on the list! Do you know a good guide in the area?

People do have their reasons to head to certain places and you have yours.

On leaving the airport at STI, take Autopista Duarte to Santo Domingo and within an hour you will be at Piedra Blanca. There is a new elevated section of road here and also there should be signposts for the newly upgraded highway 201 to Rancho Arriba and San Jose de Ocoa. You said you arrive in March. This road should have been opened by end of January but still no mention in the news papers so keep an eye on the thread for this road elsewhere. If open you should be in San Jose one hour later and at the junction with the Bani/Azua highway half an hour later max.(but the opening of that new road is the key and if not open you head on to Santo Domingo, take the bypass and think about overnighting on the way). You could be at this junction by 4.30pm assuming no flight delays. It will be less than half an hour to Azua and maybe 15 minutes passing Azua which is straight forward and then one and a quarter hours or so on good roads to Barahona. Hotels are on the Pedernales road just outside Barahona so you could get to a hotel for 6.30pm to 7pm leaving the car hire pick up point at STI at 2.00pm. There is a decent hotel at Azua if you are running late...read other thread by 'drstock'.

There are some nice hotels south of Barahona near the Larimar mines, and in another thread in the South West Section you will find links to companies that arrange tours. The museum is small but free. If your budget works stay at Casa Bonita and at the entrance here are some small workshops and they will get you to the small mines in the hills nearby.

As Dolores post.......you will be in one of the bets parts of DR so maybe think about arranging your stay there and finding your ay back to Santiago via Santo Domingo or even Constanza on a not so good road by all accounts.

You do like a challenge.....so I hope that helps from someone used to driving all around the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.