Language Immersion Course in the DR

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
So, I'm not willing to wait until next summer.

I'm coming to the DR this summer!! Horay!

I'm shopping around for a Spanish Language Immersion course, and have found the following school:

"Hispaniola Spanish Language School"
Arzobispo Nouel #103,
Zona Colonial,
10210 Santo Domingo DN​

So I have just a few questions to get a few opinions from you fine folks that live or frequently visit the DR:

1. Does anyone have an opinion about this school?
2. For the living accommodations, I'm considering living with a host family for four weeks. Any thoughts on that?
3. What would you consider a decent amount of spending money considering a four week stay in the DR?

Thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
So, I'm not willing to wait until next summer.

I'm coming to the DR this summer!! Horay!

I'm shopping around for a Spanish Language Immersion course, and have found the following school:

"Hispaniola Spanish Language School"
Arzobispo Nouel #103,
Zona Colonial,
10210 Santo Domingo DN​

So I have just a few questions to get a few opinions from you fine folks that live or frequently visit the DR:

1. Does anyone have an opinion about this school?
2. For the living accommodations, I'm considering living with a host family for four weeks. Any thoughts on that?
3. What would you consider a decent amount of spending money considering a four week stay in the DR?

Thanks!

Hi:
Have you tried to get in touch with the school or someone who is connected with it. As far as acommodations just remember during the summer in the city it is hotter than hell. Living with a host family may sound interesting but I would find out the details. The school might be a hole in the wall in some residence. It is hard to give you an accurate figure on spending money. Everyones habits are diffferent. Are you eating at restaurants? Are you going to bars? Buying food for your host family? I think that is something you will have to figure out. Prices are fairly Americanized. If you are buying fruits and veg. prices are reasonable but anything imported is a lot more expensive than you are used to. Where are you coming from? You might be better off to rent an apartment for a month in a beach area and take Spanish lessons as often as you can. You will not be proficient in a month even if you immerse yourself. If I were you I would be studying Spanish right now before you go to a Spanish speaking country. I would not drop into Santo Domingo would out talking to the people that you will have to rely on everyday. Good luck and good travels.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
You can rent an apartment that's excellent right next door. The apartments are around 500 per month for a 6 month stay. They are fully furnished and the owners are respectable people. They will give you your deposit back with no questions asked. Really unheard of...Plus the apartments are quite nice, and the building secure. Owners name is Alejandro and his daughter Alicia.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
There is also an excellent school in Sosua called Casa Goethe. They have a branch in SD.

http://www.edase.com/

Disclaimer: I used to teach English there, so I am a little biased.

I can also recommend Casa Goethe in Santo Domingo. Did spanish classes there 2 years ago. Great place great people! Stayed in the comfy student shared appartment nearby as i dont really like host families which was a good solution. You can contact me if u have further questions

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
Hi:
Have you tried to get in touch with the school or someone who is connected with it.

No not yet. I figured that I'd first consult here at DR1 to become aware of what I should even ask such a school.

Hi:
Living with a host family may sound interesting but I would find out the details. The school might be a hole in the wall in some residence.

I can imagine what you mean. What if the rules of the host family's home are utterly disagreeable to me. What if the school is of low quality? Definitely some things I have to ponder and investigate.

Hi:
It is hard to give you an accurate figure on spending money. Everyones habits are diffferent. Are you eating at restaurants? Are you going to bars? Buying food for your host family? I think that is something you will have to figure out. Prices are fairly Americanized. If you are buying fruits and veg. prices are reasonable but anything imported is a lot more expensive than you are used to. Where are you coming from?

I'm likely to frequent restaurants four times per week (I'm not a big eater, but I do want to enjoy the cuisine). I'm likely to visit a bar perhaps only once per week (not a big drinker).

I'm coming from Chicago.

Hi:
You might be better off to rent an apartment for a month in a beach area and take Spanish lessons as often as you can. You will not be proficient in a month even if you immerse yourself.

Can I find someone that will rent to me for only four weeks?

Hi:
If I were you I would be studying Spanish right now before you go to a Spanish speaking country. I would not drop into Santo Domingo would out talking to the people that you will have to rely on everyday. Good luck and good travels.

Oh yeah, I've been studying Spanish for the past two months. I've completed a Level A1 course and now I'm working to complete a Level A2 course. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready for my visit, I will have completed a level B1 course. I've read that level B1 is considered to be very conversational.

The reason I want to immerse in Spanish is to improve my listening comprehension skills. I practice listening skills by listening to Level A1 and A2 podcasts. However, I'm finding that this is not enough. I'm willing to try immersion.

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
I can also recommend Casa Goethe in Santo Domingo. Did spanish classes there 2 years ago. Great place great people! Stayed in the comfy student shared appartment nearby as i dont really like host families which was a good solution. You can contact me if u have further questions

Interesting - why do you not like staying with host families?

Also, how fierce is the competition to use the shared facilities within a shared apartment?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
are you sure they are still in operation? I live on Nouel and honestly thought that school had shut down a number of years ago.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

Also, how fierce is the competition to use the shared facilities within a shared apartment?

The competition is fierce especially if u eat the Plato deal dia!

Who am I kidding. I. Ver stayed in a Dominican home. And I've never Seen a Plato deal dia for 150 pesos, much less eaten one.

Says the tourist.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
You can rent an apartment that's excellent right next door. The apartments are around 500 per month for a 6 month stay. They are fully furnished and the owners are respectable people. They will give you your deposit back with no questions asked. Really unheard of...Plus the apartments are quite nice, and the building secure. Owners name is Alejandro and his daughter Alicia.
I can recommend this aparthotel as well...I stayed there for numerous times over the course of a few years ...very secure ,working laundryroom,very clean and never had a problem getting back my security....if you need their phone number I can look it up for you

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012

I guess i was an au pair in the US too long to still appreciate living in a foreign host family and with their rules. The school has 2 appartments..1 for 4 people with 2 bathrooms and 1 small single appartment for 1 person