Debunking Seven Myths about Living in the Dominican Republic

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
written a while back by own Lambada........

LtSteve should read it.... the gated community part.
with which I totally agree.... just hang a 'Rob Me' sign on the door.

She had a good handle on things.

Her medical comments would be different today..... even more positive
but the others hold true for the most part.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yesss.
Ginny was a real person with a gift for writing, especially about her life here...her book is well worth reading.

Miss her , too.

HB

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Number 8. Your big bank account will free you from the common problems of living in a 3rd world country.

Still wont save you from the water going down, A/C or inverter not lasting all night, chronically fixing poor construction, fleas in your expensive cereal, hitting 3 potholes a day, worrying about being exposed to one mosquito born disease after another, constantly putting your intestines at risk on the mystery food at the restaurant.

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Yesss.
Ginny was a real person with a gift for writing, especially about her life here...her book is well worth reading.

Miss her , too.

HB

Never had the chance to meet her. Seemed like an amazing lady.

RIP

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Never had the chance to meet her. Seemed like an amazing lady.

RIP

She was a wonderful lady. When I was injured so badly in 2008 that the doctors here were sure my leg needed amputation, she was at my apartment the very next day after going grocery shopping for me. She did that every week for a while since I was housebound until it was necessary to be hospitalized.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will always disagree about the gated community part. ironically lambada herself lived in the most prestigious area of town and her neighbours were anything but regular dominicans.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
She was more than one of a kind. Her support when I was going through the whole political crisis was second to none. Not just her but Bushbaby too. I miss her sooo much. She knew the country inside out and never missed a day without checking in that I was OK. She was really my rock. I still cannot believe she left us so soon and miss her every day. Her writing inspired me to write my book too. RIP Ginnie. You really left us far too soon.

Matilda

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Number 8. Your big bank account will free you from the common problems of living in a 3rd world country.

Still wont save you from the water going down, A/C or inverter not lasting all night, chronically fixing poor construction, fleas in your expensive cereal, hitting 3 potholes a day, worrying about being exposed to one mosquito born disease after another, constantly putting your intestines at risk on the mystery food at the restaurant.

A big bank account solves some of the.

Buy more batteries for the inverter and a bigger inverter.
Buy a Tinaco.
Fleas... screen the house, get if fumigated.
Eat at good reputable restaurants
Etc etc..

15yrs in the DR. Never had fleas in my cereal, mosquito disease issues and only 1 or 2 doses of galloping squirts.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I have to disagree with #2. I would never live in this Country except in a GATED RESORT COMMUNITY. We have great resort security, trustworthy, and well trained.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have to disagree with #2. I would never live in this Country except in a GATED RESORT COMMUNITY. We have great resort security, trustworthy, and well trained.

I think not all gated communities are created equal. Many do not have the things you mention, only the illusion of such. I have 3 friends who were robbed while living in gated communities.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
A big bank account solves some of the.

Buy more batteries for the inverter and a bigger inverter.
Buy a Tinaco.
Fleas... screen the house, get if fumigated.
Eat at good reputable restaurants
Etc etc..

15yrs in the DR. Never had fleas in my cereal, mosquito disease issues and only 1 or 2 doses of galloping squirts.

As one that depends every day on my inverter, I would also suggest that one uses a plug in timer at night for high energy using appliances such as refrigerator.. No need for it to run all night starting and stopping. give it juice every three hours for 15 minutes and you'll be good to go.. Also don't go cheap on the inverter. Use a true or pure sine wave inverter. draws less that .5 amps off of the batteries when not under load.. Also doubles as a battery charger when connected to regular power.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Seems she really "got" the way of life here that so many don't. I believe (as far as gated/non gated communities) much of the violence/trouble (not all) expats experience is due to whom they may keep company with and/or befriend.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
May her soul rest in peace.
I wouldn't agree with the first point totally! That dominicans in tourist areas speak English and the others inside the country do not! Atleast here in Bavaro, i have rarely heard someone speak english in supermarkets, banks...

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I hope Bushbaby is still reading DR1 and sees the love and respect for Ginnie. We sure miss her wit and wisdom!