Playing pool with Dominicanos

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
So, I've been trying my best at the local pool hall... I've learned a few things.

They play slop. It's doesn't matter how many rails or balls it bounces off of, if it goes in, then it is good.

Last pocket. Some times it is called, some times it is last ball in.

They use their crooked ass tables to their advantage!

There are some more, I'll remember ma?ana. I just got whooped, and am a little confused at the moment!

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
You too? A guy I was playing thought I was trying to cheat him when I spotted one of his balls that he sent flying off the table. Then there was some crazy rule about having to get the eight ball in a special (different for each player) pocket.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You too? A guy I was playing thought I was trying to cheat him when I spotted one of his balls that he sent flying off the table. Then there was some crazy rule about having to get the eight ball in a special (different for each player) pocket.

Yea, I am still confused about that. Apparently, you always call the last pocket. And your call can change depending on whether or not you are winning.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
Yea, I am still confused about that. Apparently, you always call the last pocket. And your call can change depending on whether or not you are winning.

My general experience has been that if your last ball goes into a corner pocket, that pocket is where you must sink the 8 ball... with the exception of the side pockets. If you sink it in the side pocket than your opponent gets to choose with of the corner pockets you need to use.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I've sobered up, and am still confused over the last pocket thing.

I hate playing last pocket (or call the 8) anyways. But, Table was empty except for one of my balls, and the 8. I put my ball in, then put the 8 in the same pocket. Assuming we were playing last pocket. We'll my fren told me HE WON because the pocket I put the 8 in was HIS pocket. He had called it. So, I can't have the same pocket as him apparently.

Oh, and scratching on the 8 ball isn't an automatic loss.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
In DR is called Negrita, here are some basic rules.

If you are going to hit the borders with the cue ball, you have to call it, or it is 'sucio el tiro'.
Sometimes you have to call on which hole you are going to get the ball in.
If the ball is sent off the table, you just put it back in the middle.
You get to choose the pocket for the 8-ball, but you can't change it.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
In my experience there are 2 games. American pool and Dominican pool. With Dominican pool you put the black ball in any pocket. With American pool you have to put it in the pocket your last ball went in. Except if the other player has already put their last ball in that pocket or your ball went into a side pocket. In this case the other player nominates a pocket for you - but not a side one or the pocket they have to use.
American pool is more tactical at the end of the game and takes longer. My local pool hall only allows you one game per beer - some of the time. There are no free balls. If there is a miss the game just carries on without penalty. This absence of rule can be used to advantage by snookering the other player without even attempting to hit your ball - without penalty. I have never seen a dominican using this loop hole to their advantage, although I sometimes do this their great outrage! It is very unsportsman like.
If you play for beers be careful because the dominican may not be able to pay and may try to cheat like crazy to win. Or winning may result in a sticky situation.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Basic 8 ball played in USA does not require a pocket for the last shot. It's a very simple game. However people get bored with it and add things to make it more of a challenge. All playing conditions should be understood at beginning. Of course you have to call your shot on the eight

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Basic 8 ball played in USA does not require a pocket for the last shot. It's a very simple game. However people get bored with it and add things to make it more of a challenge. All playing conditions should be understood at beginning. Of course you have to call your shot on the eight

I didn't know that, but it's called American pool in my local pool hall.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Call shot, you call each shot this can include banks etc
Or if really good straight pool, Fats favorite game. an for money 9 ball. money on 5 an 9 shot in rotation. can combination the 5 an 9 muti times. they respot until downed in their turn.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I love 9 ball. Haven't found anyone here who knows how to play it. And mi espanol is not good enough to explain it.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I love 9 ball. Haven't found anyone here who knows how to play it. And mi espanol is not good enough to explain it.
I love nine ball!!!! I get in fights with 3 ball if gambling. yoy can lose so quick,

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
9 ball is easy, best way is to show them how.
like 8 ball nine ball has many variations based on skill. good guys get bored and need to start banking shots etc

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
9 Reglas de la bola de billar

2vnoui1.jpg