Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Telephone lines to UK today

I need to make a call to the UK. After failing to reach the number I need, I tried other UK numbers without success. All of which I had saved on my phone and have never had problems with before. My phone is working fine for calls within the DR.

Is it possible the international link is down? How can I check this?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by london777 View Post
    I need to make a call to the UK. After failing to reach the number I need, I tried other UK numbers without success. All of which I had saved on my phone and have never had problems with before. My phone is working fine for calls within the DR.

Is it possible the international link is down? How can I check this?
    Try to make the call using a diferent Dominican phone provider, if you are using Orange make a call from Claro's Number or VIVA's number. If you have the same problem maybe the international circuits that connect with UK are having problems. If you can make the call using another provider and the problem presist with your current provider then the problem is not from UK. the problem is with your local company here.

3. Likes london777 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried calling from another phone?

5. Likes london777 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess make sure your international plan has not expired. Is your UK friend on whatsapp? I have good success calling
    internationally with this app. Sometimes there is a little delay feedback, sometimes not.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been on the phone all morning to various UK numbers. I am based in Santiago. I am using a VOIP connection based in Ireland

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Claro will not allow you to call UK with prepaid minutes - depending on your plan. You have to buy a card to top up the minutes.

Matilda

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    I guess make sure your international plan has not expired. Is your UK friend on whatsapp? I have good success calling
    internationally with this app. Sometimes there is a little delay feedback, sometimes not.
    Watch your data on WhatsApp.

Skype and WhatsApp are the the two largest data gobblers.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Watch your data on WhatsApp.

Skype and WhatsApp are the the two largest data gobblers.
    When making calls on whatsapp 99% of the time on wifi, and with skype only video via my laptop.
    Thanks for the thought though. I use a USA discount carrier and it is an excellent plan.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, but here (RD) I have a specified amount of data... not unlimited... so I get nabbed.
    Can run out of data.

We never use the SKYPE video b/c our connection is too weak.

I forget how many Gigas I get.... But I blew it last month.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Never really solved the mystery but I have moved on.

After failing to make calls to various UK numbers on Friday, I went to Claro's office on Monday. Was seen very quickly. The days of standing in line for an hour to be attended to seem to have passed.

The advisor quickly established that my ability to make long-distance calls had been "unchecked" in their computer system. She was unable to say why. She "fixed" it and said I would be able to ring abroad within half hour.

Too late to call (because of the time difference) so I tried again today (Tues). Still no joy, but was able to get through immediately using my wife's Orange cellphone, so panic over.

Went to Claro office again today. Same advisor now told me that the reason was that I had run out of credit. I pay around 450 pesos a month on a plan and have only made a few local calls (I checked on my register to make sure my wife had not used my phone). So that was impossible. She also told me that I had topped up my account by 100 pesos today. Nope! It is years since I last bought minutes other than my plan.

So obviously they do not have a clue. Tried to cancel my contract but there would be a cancellation charge of 1400 pesos, so I will wait until my contract expires in three months.