Beaware when purchasing gas at Estacion SUNIX, Downtown Punta Cana

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
$800 RD worth of gas, driver paid with credit card, the receipt was presented with the server holding the paper inplace, told to remove finger.... charge was $1800 RD... Oh sorry it was a mistake !!!! Do not buy gas at this station.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do not buy gas at ANY station in the DR with a CC or Debit Card.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I use to always pay for gas with a credit card .....maybe cash is wiser
every day is a learning day

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
When purchasing gasoline, choose only gas stations that have been renovated, you can tell because they look brand new. Sunix gas stations are all new because the brand is relatively new. The scam used above is probably because the attendant discovered that many buyers were distracted, foreigners unlikely to come back and claim, people from outside town. Bottom line, let the attendant know you are closely following the transaction step by step.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
We always use the same pumps when we buy. I asked my wife why. She said the other guys are scammers. We use both cash and cards and l have little problem with my boss with me.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I hate cash, I never have any. The reason? I'm married!!! LOL.

I like using my BHD debit card though. Every time I use it, I get a text message on my phone as soon as it's passed through the verifone. I always act surprised when i get it an usually show the vendor the message with the amount that was debited. Hopefully it will educate people that these scams will be on the decline.

My wife also has a card on the same account. I also get a message whenever she uses it....which is nice!

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I hate cash, I never have any. The reason? I'm married!!! LOL.

I like using my BHD debit card though. Every time I use it, I get a text message on my phone as soon as it's passed through the verifone. I always act surprised when i get it an usually show the vendor the message with the amount that was debited. Hopefully it will educate people that these scams will be on the decline.

My wife also has a card on the same account. I also get a message whenever she uses it....which is nice!

I guess Big Brother is in the D.R. also !

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At a restaurant recently, the fellow in front charged his meal.... and watched his phone.
The charge came through wrong.
He showed to the clerk and they tried to fix it... a system error, it appeared to be.

They wound up calling the bank....

I interrupted, paid cash and left.... never saw the end of it.

But watching the phone is the thing to do

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Last week I stepped into Caribe Express office to change just $40.00. 45.4 for the exchange rate. The girl gave me 1616 pesos and I said it should be 1816. She started to argue with me and a Dominican man behind me said to her that she had shorted me by 200 pesos and she coughed it up without further ado!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Pulled into Isla gas in POP to refill the rental car before drop off. Gave the attendent $800RD. After he filled the car he said I only gave him $700RD. I passed him another $100 pesos and learned an inexpensive lesson. Keep the cash until the gas is in and check the pump to make sure it's cleared to zero and its regular gas, not premium.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i have an extension of miesposo's CC. he receives messages when i perform a transaction over certain value. i rarely use cash and petrol is always purchased with a card too. i only go to one or two stations in the city that have been "approved" by miesposo. never a problem so far. but then i probably put petrol in my jeep once every two months and often i just tell him to do it.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The risks of going around with lots of cash are much higher.

Continue to pay with credit card but follow your card and verify your purchase as the OP did. You may even get out of the car when you give your credit card so the person knows you are following the transaction. This advice applies for any purchase, anywhere in the world.

See more tips about gasoline station fraud:

http://www.gobankingrates.com/credit-cards/5-tried-true-strategies-protecting-credit-card-gas-pump/

I always get out of my truck when buying gas plus if i do use a cc I always but a $ right next to the number on the left leaving NO space to add even a 1. Like this $450.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
The SMS system has all but removed any danger when using a debit card but using a credit card in gas stations is still fraught with peril. They can clone cards for fun and concentrate on customers who present foreign credit cards.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
$800 RD worth of gas, driver paid with credit card, the receipt was presented with the server holding the paper inplace, told to remove finger.... charge was $1800 RD... Oh sorry it was a mistake !!!! Do not buy gas at this station.[/QUOTE

DO NOT, use a credit card at gas stations. The attendent can rip you off and also make a copy of your credit card to rip you off a later date. If at all possible, avoid using credit cards in the DR. Most places that accept credit cards will also add up to a 15% charge to cover the cost being charged by the credit card companies. Again, rule of thumb DO NOT use credit cards expect for a hotel stay or maybe at a restaurant but you are always better to use pesos wherever possible. Take out pesos from a BANK ATM and use cash.

Jan 7, 2016
Only use a card with a "chip"...swiped cards can be cloned by the card processing center, but "chip" cards change the code every time the card is used, thus preventing cloning. Make sure the attendant puts your card into the chip reader and doesn't swipe it on the machine. The processing center in Santo Domingo is rife with deadbeats and swindlers, who won't bat an eye at cloning your card # for their own and friends use.