AZS, El Catey ... transport to Las Terrenas & inexpensive hotel ???

Mopar man

Oct 27, 2015
Good Morning Folks,

I am flying into AZS for the first time next week. I have always used POP in the past and was familiar with the transport options and my regular old hotel in Sosua ... the old grand dame the Romanoff !!!

I travel light so when I arrived at POP I would just walk up to the highway and flag down a Sosua bound taxi publico and ride into town for about 35 pesos. Then I would get a moto from La Bomba to the Romanoff for about 50 pesos. It was a quick, easy routine. From the airport to my hotel for under 100 pesos ( my friends call me 'frugal' :) )

This time I'm into uncharted territory ... I'll do some reading on here and online to check the transit options and inexpensive, secure hotels in LT, but I wanted to put this out there as I'm sure the answers I need are all here !!!

I was down in November for a month, them I came back home for Christmas, New Years and my birthday here at home with my girlfriend who is still working and can't get away often. I'm looking forward to getting back for a couple of months in the sun and heat !!!! I want to do a bit of a 'walk-a-about' on the peninsula then I'll gravitate back to the poolside at the old Romanoff and evening beers on the sidewalk at Bar Central. Life is good !!!

Cheers
Dave

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Same game, Dave if you still travel light.

Walk to the road and wait.

Short trip to LT or Samana.

Almost the same walk to the road.... maybe a bit longer at AZS... but a better airport

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I admire your Frugal ness.. one has to be Frugal in the DR or they will take advantage... Good Philosophy you have..

Also like your screen name..
Hopefully when you get a couple hundred more posts you will join us in the Forum where we have a nice thread about The Old
Muscle Cars ..

From AZS to Sosua is a bit of a Trip, just FYI.. about 3 hours in a Car.. It may be worth it for you to RENT a car for a day or 2 ? as the peninsula is pretty big Geographically.just from Samana city to Las Galeras ( which Im assuming you want to see, in addition to Las Terrenas) is another half hour drive at least .. and from Las Terrenas, through the mountains to Samana City.. is a little tough... lots of steep hills. definitely not a drive you want to do at Night, ever.
Personally I would Rent a Car for what you are planning.. and so you can take a nice tour of the Peninsula, and get out and explore as you go.. You can also See the waterfall at El Limon, etc..
I am curious which you end up enjoying more , Las Terrenas or Samana City, or like Las Galeras which is more peaceful ( my favorite spot on the whole Peninsula).
but you say you got 2 months. so once you get the lay of the land you will be fine.. I would just initially rent a car, just my

there are a couple very experienced board members here who LIVE in, or near Las Terrenas,
I'm sure they will chime in with much more info..

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Google Earth map of airport below...

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0!6m1!1e1

It's quite decent trek down to the roundabouts on the Nagua to Samana road where you can pick up the regular passing guagas to Sanchez and Samana (it used to be 80rd Nagua to Sanchez and you only have 30% of that journey to go). You will be aiming to get to the Las Terrenas turn just after Sanchez....see Sanchez map below.

You could try and hitch a ride using the new toll road (Boulevard Touristico del Atlantico on the map) by waiting at the small toll booth but that road has low traffic volumes.....maybe worth a try.....no guaguas

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0!6m1!1e1

The Las Terrenas turn is after the Texaco station. Sanchez guaguas turn into the town just after the Caribe Tours stop.
The parada for guaguas to Las Terrenas is at the junction.

The guaguas stop in Las Terrenas is just past the sports stadium and hall on Duarte and you will need a motoconcho onwards to the town centre which is about one mile on.......see map

If you do manage to hitch a ride into Las Terrenas on the toll road you will enter in on road 133 on the map below.

Zoom in and out on the maps attached.

You can find plenty of places to stay at cheap prices using booking.com

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
I likely should be more frugal. I can tell you a taxi from AZS to LT is $70 - $75 US. They take the toll road. Beautiful drive.
18 more sleeps until I take that ride again. Cannot come soon enough!!!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I likely should be more frugal. I can tell you a taxi from AZS to LT is $70 - $75 US. They take the toll road. Beautiful drive.

That is robbery but I guess you pick up the cab drivers toll each way which is about $23US. And about 20 minutes

The frugal route to LT via Sanchez should cost under 200rd.....guagua/guagua/motoconcho to the cemetery in the centre. But allow one and half hours with waits at stops.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
It's expensive for sure.
Especially with a $0.72 CDN dollar. $75 US is over $100 CDN.
We try to get our money's worth though. We ask the driver to stop at the little bar with the pool tables in El Catey and we slam down a few cold Presidente's .
Once in LT we get the driver to stop at Lindo and we load his cab down with as much food and booze as we can.The drivers are always quite accommodating.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I bet that driver doesn't return by the toll road (522 pesos)... hehehe

Get the guagua to go 'over the top'
ju10 is right... waaaay cheaper and not much longer.

I usually go 'up' on the way there and 'toll' the way back.... prettier on the way back

Our back packer friend can report after his trip.... he'll be fine

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good Morning Folks,

I am flying into AZS for the first time next week. I have always used POP in the past and was familiar with the transport options and my regular old hotel in Sosua ... the old grand dame the Romanoff !!!

I travel light so when I arrived at POP I would just walk up to the highway and flag down a Sosua bound taxi publico and ride into town for about 35 pesos. Then I would get a moto from La Bomba to the Romanoff for about 50 pesos. It was a quick, easy routine. From the airport to my hotel for under 100 pesos ( my friends call me 'frugal' :) )

This time I'm into uncharted territory ... I'll do some reading on here and online to check the transit options and inexpensive, secure hotels in LT, but I wanted to put this out there as I'm sure the answers I need are all here !!!

I was down in November for a month, them I came back home for Christmas, New Years and my birthday here at home with my girlfriend who is still working and can't get away often. I'm looking forward to getting back for a couple of months in the sun and heat !!!! I want to do a bit of a 'walk-a-about' on the peninsula then I'll gravitate back to the poolside at the old Romanoff and evening beers on the sidewalk at Bar Central. Life is good !!!

Cheers
Dave

Dave:

I was a little confused by your narrative. I'm assumming you are spending some time in Las Terrenas than at some point going back to Sosua. At the airport in El Catey, AZS there are no cheap options. If you want to use public buses you would have to walk from the airport terminal to the main road which is RT.5 which runs east to west from Samana City all the way west through Cabarate, Sosua to Puerta Plata. This is at least a 1/2 mile. When you get to the main rd. You can pick up public transportation which will take you over the original mountain rd into Las Terrenas. If you have to take a taxi from the airport to Las Terrenas it will cost you $70usd one way. As far as relatively inexpensive accomodations with good security I would check out Hotel/Apartment Paseo which is walking distance to everything in LT. Good luck and good travels.

Mopar man

Oct 27, 2015
Hi and good morning to all !!!

Wow ... this is really nice, you folks have pretty much answered all my questions and provided me with great guidance and direction. I very much appreciate the time and effort you've all taken to help me out !!!!

Thanks to ju10prd for the maps and advice about gua gua locations and drop off area's ..... gua gua is my choice of transit, I especially appreciate the comment that there are no gua gua's on the new toll road. I did not realize that.

And JD426 .... thank you for the info ... and yes the mopar was a 1968 Road Runner with a 440, 4 speed, it was more fun than is legally allowed !!!!!! :) :)

And LTsteve ... yes, from AZS my plan is to walk up to highway 5 and head east on a gua gua to LT via Sanchez. When I am finished on the peninsula I will travel west to Sosua to meet up with some friends for a few weeks. I plan to use the Papagayo (?) bus service out of Samana for that trip if it is possible ? My understanding is that neither Caribe Tours or Metro offer a service from the Samana area west through to Sosua ???

Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to comment. I appreciate it very much
Cheers and salude
Dave

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
papagallo, I think.... daily
there is more than one service for that route

you'll figure it out in LT... not difficult

have a good trip

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
A good,inexpensive and secure hotel in Las Terrenas is Casas Del Mar Neptunio.. Just steps to Playa Popy- :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi and good morning to all !!!

Wow ... this is really nice, you folks have pretty much answered all my questions and provided me with great guidance and direction. I very much appreciate the time and effort you've all taken to help me out !!!!

Thanks to ju10prd for the maps and advice about gua gua locations and drop off area's ..... gua gua is my choice of transit, I especially appreciate the comment that there are no gua gua's on the new toll road. I did not realize that.

And JD426 .... thank you for the info ... and yes the mopar was a 1968 Road Runner with a 440, 4 speed, it was more fun than is legally allowed !!!!!! :) :)

And LTsteve ... yes, from AZS my plan is to walk up to highway 5 and head east on a gua gua to LT via Sanchez. When I am finished on the peninsula I will travel west to Sosua to meet up with some friends for a few weeks. I plan to use the Papagayo (?) bus service out of Samana for that trip if it is possible ? My understanding is that neither Caribe Tours or Metro offer a service from the Samana area west through to Sosua ???

Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to comment. I appreciate it very much
Cheers and salude
Dave

When you are ready to leave LT take Transporte Las Terrenas which runs an early morning bus daily to Puerta Plata. They will stop on the way and let you off in Sosua. Good luck and good travels.