Fly Fishing in areas around LT or Samana peninsula - Dominican Republic???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All kidding aside, there would have to be rivers with fish in them. Don't hear much about that here in the DR.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Or maybe hoping for bonefish or tarpon.........but in travelling here one would have flown over the places to fly fish for them....the Bahamas. No suitable habitats in DR for them I suspect other than near Pedernales perhaps.

Plenty of 'trucha' in the lakes or rather reservoirs and rivers that flow to/from them that would likely take a fly....but not in or near Samana Peninsula....unless the INAPA reservoir just north of Samana on the road to Playa La Valle has them and INAPA allow you to fish there. The locals use line and worm and nets to catch 'trucha' and I used to enjoy eating them taken fresh from Presa de Haitillo near Cotui.

The INAPA reservoir map......

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0!6m1!1e1

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
plenty of flys in Dr. did not know people fish for them

Like the guy who asked about snow flies? Someone said he should arrive before the snow flies, and he said when are they expected? those snow flies!

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Not in Samana Pen., but fly fishing for mainly Snook and a few Tarpon and Barracuda can be found in La Boca, Yasica River near Cabarete.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
The genious media ambiente released Taliapia in all the rivers and they ate all the native fish . Not eaven a starving Dominican likes eating Talipia. So that My friend is the end of fly fishing here !

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Any insight on fly fishing in or around Las Terrenas or the Samana peninsula?

I was hoping that Mike Fischer would chime in as he would have the answers.

I've spent a lot of time anchored in Samana. Bahia Escondido is my favorite. lots of fish there. I've not seen any bonefish habitat outside of the bays in Los Haitises national park and in all honesty, I didn't see any bonefish but the caves were the reason we were there. However, if one was to tie up some larger minnow imitations on with a wet set up, you would catch some fish even if they were skip jacks which by the way fight excellent in the bays throughout Samana. So fly fishing is a possibility. What would be fun is seeing what you might catch!!

Also, there is an ample amount of local fishermen in Samana who I'm sure would love to take you out and watch a gringo practice his casting skills..

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Any insight on fly fishing in or around Las Terrenas or the Samana peninsula?

Never heard of any fly fishing in rivers in and around Las Terrenas. There is a river at the end of Playa Las Ballenas, which flows into the sea. You could possibly fish there but I have never seen Fly fishing here. Deep sea fishing is what most do.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Not in Samana Pen., but fly fishing for mainly Snook and a few Tarpon and Barracuda can be found in La Boca, Yasica River near Cabarete.

Trying to wrap my head around the fly fishing for 'cuda thing? How in hell does that work?

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
I was hoping that Mike Fischer would chime in as he would have the answers.

I've spent a lot of time anchored in Samana. Bahia Escondido is my favorite. lots of fish there. I've not seen any bonefish habitat outside of the bays in Los Haitises national park and in all honesty, I didn't see any bonefish but the caves were the reason we were there. However, if one was to tie up some larger minnow imitations on with a wet set up, you would catch some fish even if they were skip jacks which by the way fight excellent in the bays throughout Samana. So fly fishing is a possibility. What would be fun is seeing what you might catch!!

Also, there is an ample amount of local fishermen in Samana who I'm sure would love to take you out and watch a gringo practice his casting skills..

Mike Fischer can you give us your input as well?
This is a great conversation, thank you everyone!

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Trying to wrap my head around the fly fishing for 'cuda thing? How in hell does that work?

Excellent write-up on fishing Barracuda: http://flylifemagazine.com/tips-tactics-the-barracuda-dont-get-no-respect/

The entrance to Playa Fronton has a LOT of current with tides on the North, and another cut on the South with a lot of current, but this is deep water, wet fly fishing for Barracuda and others. (I saw whales just a few yards off the reef.) You can rent boats from Las Galeras to get there. I've done lots of paddleboarding trips around Las Galeras and have not seen any areas that resemble the classic Bahamas sand flats that hold large amounts of bonefish. The best bet for bonefish may be right around Las Galeras town beach with the amount of shallow water habitat available with reef further off the coast. This area is fished a lot by locals.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Just as I expected. You would have to use a wire leader. No way mono would work. Have you seen the chompers on them buggers?
Many years ago, I caught a smaller one in the Turks and Caicos. I released it, and had no idea that I'd been bitten until I noticed the blood flowing down my arm.