Dash Camera

Pclark

Jan 14, 2016
After reading through all of the awesome stories about driving in the DR I'm seriously thinking about bringing along a dash cam for our trip next month. Since we will have a rental and driving quite a bit it seems like a good thing to have. The question I have concerns anyone's experience with one. If there was an accident, and NOT caused by myself, would the police take a look to determine cause? Or, would I still have to go through the whole getting arrested and locked down until events get resolved? Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Pat

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
its a good idea IMO. not sure it would be accepted as proof but it would good evidence that would be hard to prove wrong. I have thought about it. I have a rear camera installed but not a front

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have a dash cam installed in my vehicle. Many ex-pats I know are also going down the same route. Whether or not the evidence is admissible in these kangaroo courts is debatable. But if you have video footage it's got to be worth more than some idiotic motoconcho rider's word looking to fleece a gringo.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Look on the bright side !
When you skip bail and get the hell out of dodge, you can use the footage in your home country's courts so they dont extradicte you ;) ;) ;)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Derfish said it all in the intro thread.

If you are a half confident driver and understand defensive driving and are a wee bit worldly you will be ok. It is all about experience and little different to the challenge of hiring a car in an unknown other country that drives on the opposite side of the road and at electric pace. You research, understand and adapt. The majority of accidents here involve motos and frankly stupid driving technique.

Now if you can't see a moto in daylight hours, can't read the road and potential events and can't drive defensively and clamly, don't drive outside your own territory.

Driving in the Caribbean has it's challenges and in DR spotting motos without rear lights at night on a road without line markings is one. In other islands it is sheep goats and donkeys wandering astray.

No dash cam will help you in these cases.

If you need such devices you probably have zero confidence in your driving so get off the roads.

Pclark

Jan 14, 2016
If you need such devices you probably have zero confidence in your driving so get off the roads.

I'm not worried about my driving. What concerns me is someone driving into me and any fallout associated with the incident. It's an extra layer of cheap insurance.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I can see where it would be fun. To expect a dash cam to help you in court following the inevitable accidents is wishful thinking.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Yes its a good idea. I have one front and back. Used it a few months ago to show insurance company, no problem. After the guy saw the footage I never heard from him again. Insurance kept it on file.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have this one and it works great. Front and back recording (separate files), screen can be programmed to show back camera when gear is in reverse.

eq1b9j.jpg

I have an extra one if somebody wants to buy it. I am near POP. PM me

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Last year a gringo, waiting to turn left off the main street in Cabarete and indicating to do so, was hit in the rear of his car at full speed by a moto. The whole thing was recorded on a security camera and the film submitted to the authorities but it made no difference - the gringo had to pay up.

Having said that, I am thinking of getting a dash cam myself - it can't do any harm.

Jan 7, 2016
I use my Go-Pro camera attached to a bracket on the windshield...doubt I would ever use it in "court" here, but it does provide some interesting footage on the hazards of driving in the D.R., especially in the cities and barrios...:cool:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have this one and it works great. Front and back recording (separate files), screen can be programmed to show back camera when gear is in reverse.

eq1b9j.jpg

I have an extra one if somebody wants to buy it. I am near POP. PM me

You have a yellow Lambo? Sweet ride!