I Need To Know!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
sOMEONE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I went to Puerto Plata the first week of January and like many of you, fell in love with the place...although this was not my first time in D.R....I went 4 times during 2001!!!

Now I have a big dilemma...After living in the U.S. for 32 years, (I'm 46) raising 3 children, all college graduates...I find that I need to do something for myself!

I have done extensive research on everything from becoming a citizen, to buying property, and looking for a job.

Unfortunately, I've applied for different jobs through the 'net, but apparently age is a big thing over there, (some jobs require you to be younger than 35!) and I haven't gotten any responses to my applications for work.

I am a Radio and Television announcer here, and also work for an Internet co. doing interviews with artists and writing articles on different subjects.

I am ready and willing to change professions, I can translate, do admistrative work, am completly fluent in Spanish and English, look much younger than my age, am very outgoing, friendly and people generally seem to like me.

I have read almost everyone of the messages on this and other boards regarding my question, but I need someone to give me advice on how else to look for a job, short of just moving and start looking for myself over there, which I am just about ready to do!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Last edited:

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
What I did

Finding international jobs is typically difficult without being in the country already, as employers are most often expected to pay relocation expenses.

What we did was move down here, had enough $$ in the bank for 3-4 months (plus flights home!), and started knocking on doors. It is much easier to hire someone sitting in front of you than over the web. Especially if you are in a position to take on some temp roles...which eventually lead to more permanent work.

This worked for us. It would allow you to see if you even like it enough here to stay, and make it easier for people to get you on the payroll (or under the table, as the case may be).

I wish you luck,
marc

Papito

Jan 23, 2002
The Internet The great Equalizer!

You know you have the answer already. If you can rampup your earnings with the Internet Company and Interviews... Then you can move to the DR, get an Internet connection and keep working. Once you are there, I am sure your talents would be sought after. Man if I could produce some income via the net, I would be in the DR in a hartbeat... :)

Best Luck,

Papito

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Marc,

How much did you need for 3-4 months in the DR without working? I'm trying to figure out my budget for a 3 month stay...

thnx :)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I need to know!

Thanks a lot for your responses...Wow, I wished I had found this site earlier...

Marc, I also need to know how much you had saved for your stay...

Another question to you guys...Where else can I look for a job through the 'net...I want to take advantage of applying from here, while I put the finishing touches on my move.

Also, are the Internet connections over there as fast as here?

My laptop is ready to go, too!!! I figure if I could just get a phone plug close to a palm tree at the beach...I'm in business!!!

Thanks a lot again!

Syl

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Forget about applying from overseas. I have yet to hear (6 years) of anyone getting a job in the DR via this route.

In my opinion it comes down to just one thing, "Networking".

Everyone I know that has jobs here has got them via friends or people they meet.
A recommendation holds more weight than any resume you can prepare!

We have had DSL at DR1 for 3-4 years. The connection is better and more reliable than what I had with Bell South in Miami.

Living her is very different to visiting. I strongly recommend you come and live here for a 3-6 months before deciding this is the country for you.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks...now how about a job at DR1?

Hey, Robert...

Thank you for your response...and seriously, how about I go work for DR1?

Seriously, I grew up in South America...Uruguay, and even though the conditions are not as bad as in DR, I feel I can adjust to the lifestyle...

Like I said before, I visited 4 times last year...for a total of a month...

I stayed two days in Higuey, with a friend that lived there...Also, I did a lot of driving around in Santo Domingo, San Pedro, Santiago, and Puerto Plata.

There I even went shopping at a local supermarket...where I found exactly what I was looking for...just like over here!

The only thing that really scares me about DR is the men! They are all so flirtatious!!! But I think I can handle them!

If I could just find a job from here!!! Just to feel a little more secure...even though I'm keeping my plans...before June I'll be over there for sure!!!

And if it doesn't work out, I have my house here, and the rest of my family...who support me totally...(I think mainly they just want me to move so they can have another place to go visit, especially since I told them how beautiful it is!)

Question:...I have seen several places advertise in the 'net where you can rent apts. or villas in the North? Anybody have any preferences? or suggestions?

Thanks again!